Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MTGZuby

Zuby's Family Tribal Cube

33 posts in this topic

So after interviewing Mark from Life Begins At 20 he gave me the awesome idea of building a cube for my family. My kids enjoy playing MTG but we've been getting bored of the decks I built for them. Instead of building more decks for them why not a cube? It's like a board game we can take out every so often!

Here is my list so far:

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/74043

Would love any feedback :)

Absolutely love the idea of this and it's a nice base to work from. There are a few things I would certainly change to make this a lot more fun.

First of all I'd look at the mana curve of each colour. If you are looking to make slower games, then fair enough, but aggro isn't supported all that much in white (would need more 1-2 drops). Red is decent, black has a massive presence at their lower end (top end I feel is a little lackluster compared to other colours). Blue might struggle to keep up with only 6 creatures under 3cc with 1 one drop and 1 two drop. (baral might be a nice choice to stop aggro). the top end of each colour seems very stacked (blue with 7 seven drops in a 360 cube is very high for example). I'd look to having a lot more cards around the 1-3 drops range, especially for beginners to play more cards.

Green wise, you mentioned was quite strong, I'd certainly look at dropping some of the bigger beasts for some more mana ramp elves. Will make it easier for your kids to play a rampy style deck if they wanted to, and easier to get to those big creatures. 

By the way I'd draft mono white angels all day long, at the top end of those cards is extremely powerful! (I'd love a fair few of them in my cube!) Balancing a cube is always difficult as you'll find out, but I'd certainly say that white top end of creatures is far stronger than red. Blue needs some help at the bottom end - man'o'war, merfolk looter, thing in the ice - those kind of bodies. I just see blue struggling to get to the top end where those massive cc creatures can shine.

Your ratio's are spot on for creatures to spells for each colour bud and that's great! I'd just spend some time looking at power levels and bringing a few more creatures and spells at the lower end. That is just my personal opinion mate and you'll be able to make your own judgement when play testing the cube.

Definitely up for having a chat sometime to discuss further.

Hope that helps!

Lasraik and MTGZuby like this

White:  If you wanted a bit more removal you could go with Sunlance or a sweeper in Day of Judgement.  Maybe Pacifism.

Blue: I would say Snapcaster but it's pricey.  Maybe Cursecatcher?  Blue instants and sorceries are pretty strong, lots of counter magic.  Something @Koakka would approve of.

Black: Vampire Nighthawk would be a nice creature imho.  If you wanted a sweeper maybe Languish.  I like that you have Triskaidekaphobia.  Something I was wondering about now that I'm starting to write cards down for my cube that I was hoping @Mark_LifeBeginsAt20 could offer advice: for something like graveyard abilities, is it good to use them if you aren't going to add lots and lots of support for them?  Or is it better to stay away from abilities like that?

Red: No Lightning Bolt?  Goblin Bushwhacker is a must :) 

Green:  Looks pretty strong.  

Artifacts:  It's sweet to see Stuffy Doll, can make for some interesting games.  Are you going to proxy a lot of the lands?  :o

MTGZuby likes this

22 hours ago, rainman said:

Any thoughts about including tribes that don't push players towards monocoloured decks? Or is that part fo the plan to keep mana issues simple? Slivers, a few more Humans, Warriors maybe

Guessing it's to keep mana issues to a minimum.  A few multi colored cards might help a little tho to open up other colors.

MTGZuby likes this

On 2/28/2017 at 2:39 PM, Lasraik said:

White:  If you wanted a bit more removal you could go with Sunlance or a sweeper in Day of Judgement.  Maybe Pacifism.

Blue: I would say Snapcaster but it's pricey.  Maybe Cursecatcher?  Blue instants and sorceries are pretty strong, lots of counter magic.  Something @Koakka would approve of.

Black: Vampire Nighthawk would be a nice creature imho.  If you wanted a sweeper maybe Languish.  I like that you have Triskaidekaphobia.  Something I was wondering about now that I'm starting to write cards down for my cube that I was hoping @Mark_LifeBeginsAt20 could offer advice: for something like graveyard abilities, is it good to use them if you aren't going to add lots and lots of support for them?  Or is it better to stay away from abilities like that?

Red: No Lightning Bolt?  Goblin Bushwhacker is a must :) 

Green:  Looks pretty strong.  

Artifacts:  It's sweet to see Stuffy Doll, can make for some interesting games.  Are you going to proxy a lot of the lands?  :o

I like the idea of a sweeper for White. I'll look into that and see what I may cut.

I wanted to make blue more utility based than anything.

Vampire Nighthawk was originally in it but I didn't want too many fliers so I put Gifted Aetherborn instead.

No Lightning Bolt :(. Lightning Strike instead because red already has lots of burn spells.

The duel lands are not proxies they are fakes :). They feel completely fake so they aren't good fakes.

On 2/28/2017 at 4:17 PM, rainman said:

Any thoughts about including tribes that don't push players towards monocoloured decks? Or is that part fo the plan to keep mana issues simple? Slivers, a few more Humans, Warriors maybe

The reason why a lot of this is mono colored is because I started this cube with my kids in mind. Which is why I try not to have TOO many complicated cards and this is to introduce them to drafting and sealed. Cards like Trisaidekaphobia are in the cube for fun. I wanted to put multicolored but figured that may be too tough for them right now especially my 7 year old. Maybe as they get better at limited I'll update the cube to add more tribes and multicolor cards.

rainman and Lasraik like this

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/74043

So made some changes this morning to the list after reading some of the comments:

Made sure to add some sort of board wipe in every color:

Removed the following:

Corrupt

Shattering Spree

Battle Squadron

Mythic Proportions

All the Keyrunes (They were placeholders to begin with)

Paradox Engine

Added the following:

Crux of Fate

Blasphemous Act

Generator Servant

Hardened Scales

All the Gearhulks

Thran Dynamo

Hedron Archive

Filigree Familiar

Solemn Simulacrum

Chromatic Lantern

Planar Bridge

Lasraik likes this

I'll go through this and edit this post each time but some additions I think are simple and will help out a lot in your family cube.

A few cheaper creatures that may well improve white:

• Firehoof Cavalry -> Thraben Inspector
  • Sigardian Priest -> Gideon's Lawkeeper
  • Cathedral Sanctifier -> Champion of the Parish
  • Master of Pearls -> Doomed Traveller
  • Youthful Knight -> Consul's Lieutenant
  • Shepherd of the Lost -> Angel of Invention
  • Nightguard Partol -> Fiend Hunter
  • Wisperweaver Angel -> flickerwisp (I know you wanted an angel theme so potentially restoration angel instead)

I'd be inclined to to add more cheaper creatures to support a white aggro white weenie deck and take out a few of those angels as they are very very strong.

Mother of Runes, Blade Splicer, Dragon Hunter, Mardu-Woe Reaper, Mother of Runes, Precinct Captain, Ranger of Eos for tutoring cards & Captain of the Watch (top end)

Spells Wise:

• Pillar of light -> Devouring Light
  • Silverstrike -> Disenchant
  • Iona's Judgement -> Path to Exile (not sure if you've opened up MM17 but may get one cheap now)
  • shoulder to shoulder -> Collective Effort
  • Healing Hands -> Always Watching, Honor the Pure, Dictate of Heliod or Spear of Heliod (for more creature support as lifegain isn't an issue with those angels)

Hope that's of some help

Lasraik and Manticore like this

I'm looking through my pauper cube now to see if there are any cards that I really like in there that you might be missing.

Potential Additions - Mulldrifter, Gurmag Angler (Also fits with your Zombie theme in Black), Thornweald Archer (Also fits with your Elf theme in Green), Augury Owl, and Man-o'-War are the first ones that come to mind that really like in my cube after not seeing them in your list.

On 3/18/2017 at 6:49 PM, AlbyMTG said:

I'm looking through my pauper cube now to see if there are any cards that I really like in there that you might be missing.

Potential Additions - Mulldrifter, Gurmag Angler (Also fits with your Zombie theme in Black), Thornweald Archer (Also fits with your Elf theme in Green), Augury Owl, and Man-o'-War are the first ones that come to mind that really like in my cube after not seeing them in your list.

Those are some cool options! I may add them later when I play to expand upon the cube.

I did make one change:

Removed Avacyn, Angel of Hope

Added High Sentinels of Arashin

Avacyn just felt way too strong and way too good and not enough ways to remove her if she made it on the field. High Sentinels was added due to have a counter subtheme and being able to play upon that.

Update on Cube:

Received the last card for the cube and it is ready to rock! All sleeved up and good to go. Think I need to do a bit more shuffling to properly randomize it some more. So now I just need to find the time and my wife, kids and I are gonna sit down and play it.

So finally got a chance to play the cube 2 times this weekend! Was pretty excited about it. Both drafts were Winchester drafts which I learned how to do courtesy of @Mark_LifeBeginsAt20 on his channel.

Here is what I drafted the first time:

cube1.thumb.jpg.d91c974200dcfc0d29619930a4567b5d.jpg

Turned out to be pretty decent. My daughter went black white with a vampire theme mostly topping out with Baron Sengir and Sengir Vampire. That duo turned out to be better than I thought it would. Here is a boardstate from Game 1 which I luckily top decked Bruna:

cube1boardstate.thumb.jpg.f794dcdb33a00d5a53c7cd1d3a6d8a88.jpg

Managed to scrap a win game 1. Game 2 was very lopsided as I got mana screwed and my daughter proceeded to whoop my butt easily. We only played 2 games but we had lots of fun.

The next day my wife and I did a Winchester Draft and here is what I drafted this time:

cube2.thumb.jpg.645124391b4ee43f5ba04593b06a6fa7.jpg

Looked to be pretty fast so I could win quickly. Unfortunately that was not the case. Let's just say Reiver Demon and True Conviction are two really good cards that my wife managed to draft:

cube2boardstate.thumb.jpg.42c2cb11d927e3851f922f82bfc739ea.jpg

What really got me was her turn 1 she had a despise and got rid of my Banisher Priest. I had nothing else to stop the Demon. She didn't want to play again after killing me game 1 cause she knew I'd win next 2 games lol. 

Overall had a lot of fun. Right off the bat White feels very strong in the cube but that may be because Winchester draft only sees a small amount of the cards. I have plans to play it again this upcoming weekend with some more people so we may see how that goes.

I'm also slowly starting to come up with my next 180 cards to add to it to bring it to 540. I'm going to be introducing multicolored cards, no planeswalkers yet. Not sure if I will have Planeswalkers or not as I've never been a fan of them in limited.

I'm pretty sure I said white was strong ;)

Glad to see you're having fun with your cube. Personally I'd look to balance this up before expanding, but definitely play more games if you can before doing so to make sure you know which cards are overpowered the most *cough* Avacyn, Baneslayer angel *cough*.

If you wanted to add multicolour I'd look at adding 3 or 4 of each 2 colour guild and taking out from your main colours. But hey, what do I know, I built a 720 cube to start with :P 

24 minutes ago, Mark_LifeBeginsAt20 said:

I'm pretty sure I said white was strong ;)

Glad to see you're having fun with your cube. Personally I'd look to balance this up before expanding, but definitely play more games if you can before doing so to make sure you know which cards are overpowered the most *cough* Avacyn, Baneslayer angel *cough*.

If you wanted to add multicolour I'd look at adding 3 or 4 of each 2 colour guild and taking out from your main colours. But hey, what do I know, I built a 720 cube to start with :P 

Oh yea, I'm gonna be balancing this for sure before adding in cards. Like I mentioned I'm hoping to be getting some more people involved this weekend so that will help see what colors need a boost/nerf. Winchester draft just is not enough cards out of the pool to see if it's balanced. Plus I probably need to shuffle a bit more before picking the 90 cards. Both times I saw a lot of white lol

Lasraik likes this

2 minutes ago, MTGZuby said:

Oh yea, I'm gonna be balancing this for sure before adding in cards. Like I mentioned I'm hoping to be getting some more people involved this weekend so that will help see what colors need a boost/nerf. Winchester draft just is not enough cards out of the pool to see if it's balanced. Plus I probably need to shuffle a bit more before picking the 90 cards. Both times I saw a lot of white lol

I'd recommend the glimpse draft as it works perfectly with more people and you'll see a lot more cards. Which will also result in more busted decks, which is the whole point of cube ;D

MTGZuby and Lasraik like this

1 hour ago, Mark_LifeBeginsAt20 said:

I'd recommend the glimpse draft as it works perfectly with more people and you'll see a lot more cards. Which will also result in more busted decks, which is the whole point of cube ;D

Just read up on it. Definitely like the idea of Glimpse draft. Will try this out next time for sure.

Lasraik likes this

23 hours ago, MTGZuby said:

Just read up on it. Definitely like the idea of Glimpse draft. Will try this out next time for sure.

Let us know which 2 player draft style you enjoy the most

Haven't been playing the cube lately at all but have added some cards to my cube's sideboard which will be added to the maincube. Using the sideboard area of cubetutor as a staging ground of sorts before I put it into the main cube.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewsideboard/74043

As you can see, I've put in some combo pieces. Most notably Protean Hulk Flash with it's enablers, Kiki Jiki, Karmic Guide, and Bodysnatcher or Teardrop Kami. Carrion Feeder is already in the main cube.

Along with that i've put in Atog and Fling for some Flinging fun.

Also you will notice midnight guard and retraction helix. If you look at my mainboard I already have something like Altar of the Brood and Ornithopter.

Deadeye Navigator was put in and I'm debating whether I want to put in Palinchron or not as well. I might.

Multicolor cards are making their way into the cube and these are not final choices at all for them but it's what I love from what I've seen so far.

So White is already pretty strong so I may not be putting as strong as cards into White right now with this extra 180. I'm definitely going to try and make the other colors stronger to hopefully even it out but we shall see!