Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MTGZuby

Zuby's Family Tribal Cube

36 posts in this topic

So my buddy and his son and I played the cube yesterday. First time playing it with people who know how to play MTG without having to teach them drafting and all that. We did a 3 person sealed and had a ton of fun.

His son built a R/B aggro/burn deck

My buddy built a Naya ramp deck.

I built a Grixis Zombish, recursion control deck.

We played 2 games. Game 1 was over pretty quickly because my buddy got out Transcendent Master pretty quickly and I had none of my removal spells and neither did his son. He got it leveled up quickly and took us out. (We played a FFA game).

Game 2 was long. Like it almost took an hour long. It was so back and forth. Some of my favorite tricks I did were:

Played recover, got Indulgent Tormentor back, then played Goblin Dark Dwellers to play Recover again and got another creature back.

My buddy had Transcendent Master out again and leveled it up to 9 pretty quickly but also had Thalia out. He goes to attack and I cast Select for Inspection targeting Thalia, cast Torrential Gearhulk casting Select for Inspection again targeting the Master.

I barely won Game 2 and after that we were pretty wiped.

After yesterday here are the changes I've made

Removed the following cards:

Wind DrakePhantom MonsterDissipateUrza's MineUrza's Power PlantUrza's TowerTriskaidekaphobiaGold-Forged Sentinel

Added in:

Aerial GuideAven ReedstalkerSupreme WillEvolving WildsTerramorphic ExpanseDarksteel CitadelContaminated BondSteel Hellkite

So after playing, White still feels very powerful. Blue surprised me the most yesterday, it turned out to help me greatly yesterday. 

The graveyard recursion was better than expected and excited to expand upon it. I am definitely going to keep it at 540 and not make it any bigger.

Alright. So I finally ordered the last of my cube cards after months and months of slacking. Here is what I took out:

321230.jpg.69b8eeb637cd64f5e85033387cf335b6.jpg5a5904d0a95f1_Image(1).jpg.914784330660ae5d0b8c06091ae5c321.jpg5a5904ec6a053_Image(2).jpg.a3f95a55ea4584dc761a7b07526c5a78.jpg

5a590527cb0d3_Image(4).jpg.d4174f6666f4d80da5bf128bef93b3f3.jpg5a59052d2b97f_Image(3).jpg.f2b9c50ee2def3411dbe72458dd5ee8b.jpg15150_200w.jpg.c43842fcf8fc8b02fb1ead18197e1990.jpg

And I put in:

5a5905a50f4f1_Image(5).jpg.8ca7fc6298a49188a6a34e3b91028ce7.jpg5a5905a75f98d_Image(6).jpg.1bf8b6127eb6d111eab3f1244169183f.jpg5a5905a832b71_Image(7).jpg.8a6573bbd8a1c08b3218a1e2dee3008a.jpg5a5905a9cd28b_Image(8).jpg.4d44388a7f06a7137ab30df05d7a39f8.jpg69253_200w.jpg.a8741cd9a9a6703f28d875c8416e82bd.jpg5a5905ade0286_Image(9).jpg.23cbc00a1bfca37b41e4f1c6f8ea4486.jpg

THis was all mainly due to budget and I've been too cheap to buy the last set of cards and the price hike on RUned Halo just helped me budget out the last 6 cards.

Alright, been awhile and a long time coming on updating my cube. Doesn't help I am lazy and completely slacking off on this. Alright here is what I removed:

Image result for angelic overseerImage result for angelic purgeImage result for archangel mtgImage result for azorius first wingImage result for baneslayer angelImage result for black cat mtgBoros BattleshaperBrushstriderCathedral SanctifierChaplain's BlessingDruid of the CowlElvish WarriorExecuteGarruk's CompanionGideon's PhalanxHollowhenge BeastHunted WumpusJwar Isle AvengerLatch SeekerMahamoti DjinnMurderer's AxeNightguard PatrolPrime Speaker ZeganaScrapskin DrakeSelesnya SagittarsSevered LegionSublime ArchangelTrusty MacheteWispweaver AngelYouthful KnightYouthful Scholar

So as you can see that is a lot of cards to replace. White took a huge nerf because it was just too damn good. Whenever I or a buddy would draft or play sealed we'd eventually just want to go with white. Here are the cards I added in and the reasoning behind them all:

Accorder Paladin

Accorder Paladin does some major work if you are going wide. Plus it's cost is cheap and it being a human benefits other cheap costing white cards as well. This replaced Nightguard Patrol.

Adorned Pouncer

Adorned Pouncer may not look too menacing as a 1/1 with Double strike but when it comes back eternalized it can be a beast to deal with. This replaced Archangel.

Ætherling

Aetherling is a very fun, versatile, and powerful card in limited. With it's ability to dodge kill spells and become unblockable this is not a card you want to see going against you. This replaced Latch Seeker.

Angel of Condemnation

On the surface it's not as powerful as it's angels it replaced, Angel of Condemnation does some major work in limited. Being able to exile powerful creatures is no laughing matter. This replaced Angelic Overseer.

Angel of Invention

If going wide is your plan in this cube then this card will help you be successful in that plan. This replaced Baneslayer Angel.

Baral's Expertise

Helping you wipe a board out is much needed in limited especially when things are at a stalemate. This replaced Scrapskin Drake.

Cast Down

More spot removal is never a bad thing in limited. This replaced Execute.

Dusk Legion Zealot

Extra card draw on potentially turn 1? Sign me up. Plus it fits with other Vampires going on in the cube. This replaced Black Cat.

Glory-Bound Initiate

With the efforts of nerfing white, I have added a lot more low costing creatures so you can swing and win early. Glory-bound  is a beast in limited. This replaced Wispweaver Angel.

Grunn, the Lonely King

A limited powerhouse. Especially if kicked and if you can add even more counters? You may only need this one card to help you win. This replaced Garruk's Companion.

Helm of the Host

In the effort of finding more interesting equipments, Dominaria comes out with helm of the host. This card is simply great if not stopped. Plus you keep the tokens. This replaced Murderer's Axe.

Icy Manipulator

What more can be said for this all star in limited? This replaced Trusty Machete.

Journey to Nowhere

More oblivion ring like goodness in limited. Can't go wrong with that. Turns out I had 2 angelic purge's in my cube without realizing it. This replaced the extra Angelic Purge.

Kitesail Freebooter

Duress on a creature? Ok. This replaced Baron Sengir.

Lightning Helix

In the effort to make Boros stronger and burn slightly better, I added in lightning helix. This replaced Boros Battleshaper.

Lu Xun, Scholar General

Who doesn't love horses? This replaced Jwar Isle Avenger.

Mardu Strike Leader

Very good token generator and dash is such a fun mechanic. This replaced Severed Legion.

Naru Meha, Master Wizard

A wizard lord and being able to copy spells. What's not to love? This replaced Youthful Scholar.

Path to Exile

Some more spot removal. This replaced Gideon's Phalanx.

Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage

Giving some of your spells flash is never a bad thing. In most cases it's good. Very good. This replaced Azorious First Wing.

Resilient Khenra

On the surface it doesn't seem that strong but if you eternalize it, buffing a creature for 4 is invaluable in limited. This replaced Druid of the Cowl.

Restoration Angel

Not as powerful as the card it replaced, which was Sublime Angel. But you can probably guess why I  put this in if you read a little further down...

Scavenging Ooze

Reanimator is a thing in my cube and this is a way to help stop it. This replaced Brushstrider.

Shanna, Sisay's Legacy

With green and white being able to produce tokens, what other card should I have added? This card can be quite big if you go wide. This replaced Selesnya Sagittars.

Song of Freyalise

Seriously, have you played Dominaria limited yet? This card is bonkers and insane. This replaced Hunted Wumpus.

Steppe Lynx

A very powerful landfall card and very powerful early game aggressor. This replaced Youthful knight.

Tatyova, Benthic Druid

Once again, have you played Dominaria limited? This card is also insane and bonkers. This replaced Prime Speaker Zegana.

Thraben Inspector

Good early card to help you get a clue to help you with card draw. This replaced Cathedral Sanctifier.

Thragtusk

Yes I am a bit cheeky. It's a good card on it's own but paired with Resto Angel, it's pretty nice. This replaced Hollowhenge Beast.

Tragic Arrogance

A good board wipe if your opponent has a ton of creatures on their side. This replace Chaplain's Blessing.

Vizier of Many Faces

Need to a copy a huge creature your opponent has? No problem! This replaced Mahamoti Djinn.

Warkite Marauder

Doesn't seem that great on the surface but it can win you games. This replaced As Foretold.

Wayward Swordtooth

A 5/5 for 3 CMC? Though you need the city's blessing, that shouldn't be too hard in green. This replaced Elvish Warrior.

So there you have it. As always, cube are never finished, just in a perpetual state of improvement. Let me know what you all think.