Lasraik

Tribal Subthemes

31 posts in this topic

I've been trying to keep up with Mark Rosewaters blog, and this caught my eye:

3-2-2017 10-05-22 AM.png

I would like to see more tribe themes, so I'm excited to see what they come up with.  

Do tribes matter to you at all?

Manticore and rainman like this

Creature types in general don't really matter too much to me, except for rare circumstances.  For example, I love the pauper Elves deck (thanks to Distant Melody, it reminds me a lot of playing Paradoxical Outcome) and a few times in Aether Revolt draft I've cared about it because of cards like Metallic Mimic and Inventor's Goggles.  Fun fact about playing with Inventor's Goggles: Did you know that Aether Chaser is an Artificer? Me neither until I looked at my deck and realized I had 6 artificers and that it was possible for me to go Turn 1 Inventor's Goggle's into Turn 2 Aether Chaser.  3/3 First Striker who gave me 2 energy on turn 2, seems pretty good.

Lasraik likes this

14 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Valkyries would be awesome.  Black and green Vikings?

12 hours ago, rainman said:

I think Red when I think Vikings, maybe it's the connectio in my head with barbarians

I think maybe Vikings in blue- being sailors and all. Krakens and sea serpents too!  Maybe dwarves in red? Giants in red and black?  Of course elves in green!

Lasraik likes this

Vikings might be in all colours for your humans... warriors, berserkers, sailors, etc. 

drawing on Norse mythology:

white = Valkyrie (precedent, adarkar (sp?) Valkyrie), light elves of Alfheim (Elves are are not necessarily tied to nature in Norse mythology. However, possible white/green combination works best for the light elves of Alfheim)

Blue = front giants of Jotun. 

Black/red = the dwarves/dark elves/ Dökkálfar in Norse mythology are very greedy yet creative. 

Red = fire demons of Muspelheim (ie Surt)

green = wolves, ravens

18 hours ago, Aurian said:

Vikings might be in all colours for your humans... warriors, berserkers, sailors, etc. 

white = Valkyrie (precedent, adarkar (sp?) Valkyrie), light elves of Alfheim (Elves are are not necessarily tied to nature in Norse mythology. However, possible white/green combination works best for the light elves of Alfheim)

Black/red = the dwarves/dark elves/ Dökkálfar in Norse mythology are very greedy yet creative. 

green = wolves, ravens

This is awesome- I love it.  Someone send this to Wizards!!! 

Aurian likes this

On 3/5/2017 at 11:31 PM, Aurian said:

green = wolves, ravens

Didn't even think of all the Viking sub types, but having each color makes sense when you put it like that :) 

8 hours ago, rainman said:

This is presumably about the card type Tribal, not the general concept, there are still cards being printed that reference specific creature types aren't there?

When I originally read his comment, I thought it was tribal in general.  But I think you're right, he's talking about Tribal instants/sorceries ect.

8 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

When I originally read his comment, I thought it was tribal in general.  But I think you're right, he's talking about Tribal instants/sorceries ect.

They printed Metallic Mimic in Aether Revolt, can't get much more pro-tribal than that card

When was the last new Tribal type card? seems a long time ago already. My guess is Rise of The Eldrazi

8 minutes ago, rainman said:

They printed Metallic Mimic in Aether Revolt, can't get much more pro-tribal than that card

When was the last new Tribal type card? seems a long time ago already. My guess is Rise of The Eldrazi

Were there new Tribal types in Theros?  Amonkhet will have Mummies but they are still Zombies so they only get half credit for those.