Breakfast with Nerds

Emeria Titan - UW or GW?

13 posts in this topic

Looking to upgrade my budget mono-white emeria titan control deck.  Love the deck, but not sure which direction I want to go in- do I add blue for spells like Supreme Verdict, Negate, and Detention Sphere, or do I add green for something more like this?  I know there is a lot of personal preference here, but what would you do?

I know it's an awful matchup, but there is some Tron in my meta.  Do you guys like Negate against Karn, or is there something in green?

Lasraik likes this

17 hours ago, Breakfast with Nerds said:

I think I'm equally comfortable with both pairs actually. I think I prefer selesnya from a philosophical standpoint, but logically I hate to lose access to detention sphere and all the great counterspells in blue. 

I'm a terrible control player, so I tend to steer clear of blue when I don't feel like getting my face smashed in.  But if you enjoy it I would say go with blue, since it opens up some of those options.

What does your deck look like now?

Currently mono-white.  Basically I am using worse versions of the blue cards so I don't have to worry about the mana base.  So, O-Ring instead of Detention Sphere, Wrath of God instead of Supreme Verdict.

The problem is the deck's job is to get to 7 plains so Emeria can turn on and you can get massive value from flicker effects and the graveyard.  So it's by definition a control deck.  Seems to me that the green version might sacrifice a little of the control aspect to try to ramp up a little faster.   

46 minutes ago, Elder_Four-eyes said:

Please help out an archetype-n00b here, what exactly makes an Emira Titan deck? After 15 minutes of searching for the card Emira Titan I can't seem to find it...

No problem!  The name comes from 2 cards: Emeria, the Sky Ruin, and Sun Titan (attached).

What the deck tries to do is stay alive until you can get 7 plains on the battlefield.  Emeria, the Sky Ruin lets you return a creature from your graveyard every upkeep once that happens.  Sun Titan does the same kind of thing, letting you return nearly any creature in the deck every time it enters the battlefield or attacks.  It's a really fun deck to play.

Sometimes people call it Emeria Control, Azorius Titan (if it's blue/white), or Selesnya Titan (if it's green/white).

Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 7.04.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 7.05.10 PM.png

Elder_Four-eyes likes this

So I know its not the same world but I have Venser Modern deck (U/W) which may give you some ideas:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/vensers-toolbox-1/

Blue gives you access to Phantasmal Image (for Sun Titan) as well as cantrips, or even Venser, the sojourner. I have played with Sun Titan and Venser since they were first printed. It went from Standard -> Casual -> Modern :)

On 3/9/2017 at 8:19 PM, TheCandyMan said:

Also, and I'm sure you know.. you can pack your dual lands full of Hallowed Fountains and Prairie Streams which are Plains to help trigger Emeria.

Don't have any of these yet, since I'm running mono-white, but I've got both on the wish list.  Seems like now is the time to buy...

On 3/10/2017 at 2:14 AM, Molimo said:

Are you playing the Ghost Quarters or Tectonic Edges to keep Tron lands and creature lands in check?

Currently running a playset of Ghost Quarter- might need to get a couple Tec Edges too.  Tron is just an annoying matchup- you almost have to mulligan if you don't have land destruction in your opening hand.

TheCandyMan and Lasraik like this

Sideboard some Surgical Extractions for the tron match to make them play a "fair" game of Magic after GQing a tron piece.  Cheap counterspells backed with a bit of a clock can throw them off their game pretty hard too.  Once prices come down, you might want to look into Snapcaster Mages and run one out early to apply pressure before attacking their mana.

What I ended up doing was go g/w with a light splash into blue for flashback momentary blink. With green you can add thragtusk, primeval Titan, wall of blossoms, and renegade rallier.

Using the dual type lands as mentioned above it is still relatively easy to get the appropriate number of plains. Canopy vista and prairie stream are great budget options. Also I used a small suite of fetches (flood plain, grasslands, and 1x evolving wild) that help trigger revolt on the rallier and then they can be returned to the battlefield to help power up the emeria.

I'm using the o-ring like you, but I think with the mana fixing from fetches and duals, detention sphere would be easy to substitute. 

Hallowed moonlight may be a good inclusion for your tron match if they're running wurmcoil engine.  It also pairs well with any of their creatures that you can flicker out with flickerwhisp. Worst case scenario, it's a cantrip. Also seal of cleansing or seal of primordial would help with artifacts. This can also be returned with the renegade rallier or sun Titan. 

You could also look into panharmonicon for double the etb triggers. 

Lasraik likes this