Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jag

Autosomal DNA testing

49 posts in this topic

Has anyone had this done?  It is about 80$ on amazon, and you send them a DNA sample (from the inside of your cheek Jazz...sheesh this guy), and they send you back your genetic profile and ancestry roots.  I think it would be interesting to say the least.

There seems to be a variance on how useful the information is.  I think it would be difficult to discover more than I already know based on my family tree, or by just looking in the mirror.

Edited by Jag
Lasraik and Dunnar like this

Good topic.  I meant to ask this too.  23 and me, Ancestry DNA ... there are a few out there.

My biggest concern is what do they do with that information?  Anyone know of anywhere that doesn't give away that info?

19 minutes ago, Dunnar said:

Good topic.  I meant to ask this too.  23 and me, Ancestry DNA ... there are a few out there.

My biggest concern is what do they do with that information?  Anyone know of anywhere that doesn't give away that info?

They collect it, then with the help of CRISPER, design biological weapons to target specific traits.

You can request privacy, but it is still in the database, and used for aggregate collection.  The cops can get it with a warrant.

Edited by Jag

FDA Approves At-Home DNA Tests for 10 Diseases

From another source:

You will be able to test yourself at home for a genetic predisposition for certain diseases, thanks to a new ruling from the US Food and Drug Administration. On Thursday, the FDA gave 23andMe permission to market its Personal Genome Service genetic health risk tests for 10 diseases. It is the first direct-to-consumer genetic test the FDA has allowed to provide that information. The tests can look for a genetic predisposition to conditions; the 10 approved Thursday are Parkinson's; late-onset Alzheimer's; celiac disease; a movement disorder called early-onset primary dystonia; a disorder that elevates your risk for lung and liver disease called Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency; a blood clotting disorder Factor XI deficiency; an organ and tissue disorder called Gaucher disease type 1; a red blood cell condition known as G6PD; hereditary hemochromatosis, an iron overload disorder; and hereditary thrombophilia, a blood clot disorder.

Edited by Dunnar

I can't remember who or where it was said, but I recall someone telling me that the best way to compile a DNA database is to get the participants to give it of their own free will.  Tell someone you are taking their DNA to be put in a police database and they complain and protest, get a company to dangle some little gimmick in front of them and they fall over themselves to give it to you.  I seriously wonder how they determine what traits are attributed to which nationality too, if so many people are surprised to find that they are actually Italian then maybe they have attributed the wrong traits to being Italian, or there aren't any traits specific to certain nationalities...

Lasraik likes this

I ordered and mailed an Ancestry DNA kit.  It was on sale at Amazon.

Based on their charting, I'm expecting to see a boring mix of 25% Italian/Greece, 25% Western Europe and 50% Eastern Europe.

Edited by Dunnar

16 hours ago, Dunnar said:

I ordered and mailed an Ancestry DNA kit.  It was on sale at Amazon.

Based on their charting, I'm expecting to see a boring mix of 25% Italian/Greece, 25% Western Europe and 50% Eastern Europe.

You're a canteloupe?

43 points for anyone who gets the movie reference.

5 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

You're a canteloupe?

43 points for anyone who gets the movie reference.

I don't get the reference, but there is an old sci-fi computer game where you could end up as an artichoke that may have been an easter egg to whatever that is?

4 hours ago, Wolphard said:

You might be surprised.

I wouldn't be surprised if I had some Jewish background.  Seems a lot of Europeans do. Also wouldn't be totally shocked to have some African based DNA. I have been asked all my life if I was mixed. I'd have a lot of questions for my mom if that were the case lol.

4 hours ago, Wolphard said:

True Romance

43 points goes to the Wolphster. It a small snatch of dialogue from True Romance, one of the best scenes in movie history (in my humble opinion). It's a conversation between Dennis Hopper, who knows he's about to die, and Chistopher Walken, who's about to kill him. Hopper basically spends 10 minutes building up to the biggest insult he can create, in the subtlest of ways. The acting, direction, lighting and dialogue are just unsurpassed in a single scene - the sense of menace from Walken and fear from Hopper is tangible. Actually, the whole film is first class, with loads of great cameos.

Nice work Wolph. That wasn't easy. The film is 25 years old next year.

Edited by Pasanda

44 minutes ago, Dunnar said:

I wouldn't be surprised if I had some Jewish background.  Seems a lot of Europeans do. Also wouldn't be totally shocked to have some African based DNA. I have been asked all my life if I was mixed. I'd have a lot of questions for my mom if that were the case lol.

Every time i take my underpants off, i reminded that i have no African DNA.

Edited by Pasanda
Lasraik likes this

I think I better wait for all the left wing hatred out here to calm down before I find out I am 1/2 black.  I wouldn't want them pressuring me to toss out the race card to explain every bad choice I have ever made.  Heaven forbid they find out my great great uncle was Jefferson Davis.  They might start a riot and burn my house down.

So have they explained anywhere about how they have defined which traits are from which nationality?  I mean, they can probably determine ethnic descent but I can't really see how they can determine someone as more German than English for instance.

Haplogroups.  These are DNA sequences unique to family groups from a given region.  The mix of genes within these haplogroups give them percentages.  They can go back up to 10 generations.

Edited by Jag
Jazz likes this

18 hours ago, Pasanda said:

31881007391_e865fc4ea2_b.jpg

Only a deaf-blind guy would fall for that trap!

4 hours ago, Jazz said:

Only a deaf-blind guy would fall for that trap!

Steady on. That's my wife mate. OK, she's not the girliest cutey on the block, but cut a guy some slack brah. I fell for the eyes.

Elovia and Dunnar like this

10 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

Steady on. That's my wife mate. OK, she's not the girliest cutey on the block, but cut a guy some slack brah. I fell for the eyes.

Goddamit dude, don't do that to me!  I had to go check your FB profile to make sure you were joking!  Soiled my pants for a moment there!

3 hours ago, Jazz said:

Goddamit dude, don't do that to me!  I had to go check your FB profile to make sure you were joking!  Soiled my pants for a moment there!

Couldn't help meself. Plus. You deserve it. :lol:

Jazz likes this