Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

Video of the Day

88 posts in this topic

I'd like to see an interactive version of that map with a key. Lot's of interesting moments. But still remarkably stable, in that many borders remain in the same place, only the powers that ran the countries changed.

Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if all the people dying over every border change thought they were giving their lives for something important.

Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what is going on to cause it to explode.  

I am not very familiar with molten salt, so what temperature is the salt?  He was holding it in a crucible with gloves and it was steaming, so I imagine it was hot.  After he pours, you can see a layer of steam which would be a temporary barrier from the water.  When that layer goes away, does that cause a massive pressure change?  

I'll have to do digging when I have more time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Superheated steam expands more rapidly in all directions than can be released through the top of the tank.  Water doesn't compress, so all that expansion force is transmitted to the tank glass which shatters.

Molten salt ~= 1400 degrees.  Now you non-Americans from irrelevant countries will ask whether that is degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius ... doesn't matter, it's pretty frikkin' hot, ok?

:)

 

 

 

 

(It's C ... just yankin' yer chain)

 

 

ComboCrazy and Jazz like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has to be something unique to the salt, right?  Otherwise, you could put anything hot, say liquid medal, in a tank of water and get it to explode.  But molten medal wouldn't make a tank explode, would it?

And I'm talking something other than molten aluminum.  Liquid AL is very very explosive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything that hot will give you that reaction with varying degrees of success.  Salt is pretty easy to get.  Youtube cool chemical reactions.  There is a ton of interesting stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conspiracy theory for Dunnar:  We know that salt dissolves in water, and both the amount of salt that dissolves and the rate of dissolving is temperature dependent.  What if the molten salt, as it was dissolving, imparted enough energy to the water molecules to overcome molecular bonding and split them into their component hydrogen and oxygen atoms ... then what if the heat from the molten salt ignited the hydrogen gas ...

:o

Nah ... that didn't happen.

;)

Jag, Pasanda, ComboCrazy and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Elovia said:

Conspiracy theory for Dunnar:  We know that salt dissolves in water, and both the amount of salt that dissolves and the rate of dissolving is temperature dependent.  What if the molten salt, as it was dissolving, imparted enough energy to the water molecules to overcome molecular bonding and split them into their component hydrogen and oxygen atoms ... then what if the heat from the molten salt ignited the hydrogen gas ...

:o

Nah ... that didn't happen.

;)

But it's postulating like that, that gets minds whirring and can incite people to do great things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Pasanda said:

But it's postulating like that, that gets minds whirring and can incite people to do great things.

... great and terrible things ... especially when it comes to explosives.  There are a number of things wrong with what I wrote (I don't know where to begin), but I think the key was to write them in a convincing manner.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Elovia said:

... great and terrible things ... especially when it comes to explosives.  There are a number of things wrong with what I wrote (I don't know where to begin), but I think the key was to write them in a convincing manner.  :D

Where you trying to get Dunnar to blow himself up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, just my dry sense of humor.  I was feeding his suspicion that there must be some other reason for the reaction in the tank.  B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You did make me look it up again. HA!  When i saw it I assumed it was just a normal steam explosion, but after your comments I was like...whaaat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0