Jazz

Politics

295 posts in this topic

I did some reading last night.  I was confused as to how Hilary had such a large lead, yet Sanders was winning almost as many states.  The answer, superdelegates.

Turns out, the role of superdelegates are different in the 2 parties.  In the democrat party, they can tilt the nomination much more than in the republican party.  So looking at the anti establishment candidates, someone like Sanders is having a hard time gaining traction, but Trump has an easier time gaining the earlier momentum.  

http://www.bustle.com/articles/141611-does-the-gop-have-superdelegates-the-republican-partys-nomination-rules-are-different-this-year

https://www.cpr.org/news/story/superdelegates-what-they-are-and-why-democrats-created-them

Abaddon, Lasraik and JesGolbez like this

Well, Hilary was outright won some big states over the past few days...Even without the stupid superdelegates (how undemocratic), she still holds the normal lead.

What baffles me (As a Canadian) is how popular Shillary is with American black people...She's basically getting 90% (or something crazy) of that vote in these Southern states.

Bernie really needs to win New York

Hillary gets the black vote because her husband was very popular with them.  ie she knows what to say to get their votes.

@Lasraik Bernie is getting good! He got 3 of the 4 latest primaries, with a large margin. Also: There is a way that the people at the Republican Convention can refute a nominee.

The problem for Bernie is that New York is coming up, and Shillary might dominate :(

American politics are weird... superdelegates, contested conventions... very entertaining, though

#feelthebern

Hmm, this email scandal seems like more of a diversion. Unless I am missing something, it just means she was very sloppy.

More important is how beholden she is to her Wall Street/Corporate Donors, her constant flip-flopping, and her phony personality :)

So, it looks like its gonna be Hilary V Trump right?

America, you so screwed...

10 minutes ago, Jazz said:

So, it looks like its gonna be Hilary V Trump right?

America, you so screwed...

Is Trump set in stone?  Seems like everyone is doing everything they can to prevent that

12 minutes ago, Dunnar said:

Is Trump set in stone?  Seems like everyone is doing everything they can to prevent that

Honestly I don't know but it certainly looks like it.  The game Trump has been playing means he actually benefits from people trying to stop him, it plays into his agenda.  What a choice you'll have with those two, a choice between different means of fucking yourselves over....

I half want Trump to win just so that we can find out if he's all talk or if he will actually build a wall.  The American Iron Curtain...

So Cruz steps down and you now have Trump pretty much the Republican candidate.

*Sips tea* Well, we're screwed.

Jeremy likes this

Hilary v Trump

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard"  - H. L. Mencken

Jazz likes this

3 hours ago, Jeremy said:

@Jazz Well, there's still Ron Paul as our 3rd party, if he steps up...

Ignoring for the moment the fact that the 'third party' you're talking about is the Libertarian party, him stepping up would achieve sod-all just like any other third party candidate in a two-party system.

1 hour ago, Dunnar said:

Hilary v Trump

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard"  - H. L. Mencken

Yep, that's the way I see things going and in that situation regardless of who wins everyone loses.  Despite what Trump says though he will be a 'business as usual' President just the same as Hilary.  For all his rhetoric he is just playing the same game Nigel Farage over here tried to play, that of the sassy underdog fighting against the man to get the disenfranchised voters who think they are sticking it to the man by supporting him not realising they he IS the man.

5 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

@Jazz Yeah, well, this Christian Science Monitor satirical cartoon pretty much sums it up:

v975762_1_cartoon160414-01._standard.png?

I have to be honest, I had to look him up.  Sounds like the typical situation: The best leaders are often the ones who don't want to lead, while the ones you really don't want to have the power are the ones who crave it.

And well, the last one standing is Trump. Guess who wins now? Hillary. There are enough Republicans who hate Trump to swing it to her.

Well, look on the bright side!  First woman president!  She could be the US version of Maggie Thatcher!  No one hated her...