Jazz

Politics

290 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Jazz said:

Well, look on the bright side!  First woman president!  She could be the US version of Maggie Thatcher!  No one hated her...

That made me LOL IRL.

Jag, Jazz and Lasraik like this

On 5/5/2016 at 2:07 PM, Pasanda said:

For some reason it won't let me reply to this topic without quoting Pas for some reason, everytime I try just clicking new post Pas is in there for some reason.  He gets around.

Anyway, to the actual point of my post: A friend posted the following, as a non-US guy I have no idea what the hell is going on here, you guys have a convoluted system it seems, but it sounds super-serious.  Thoughts?

http://imgur.com/gallery/CWby3

A motion was brought to the floor by the DNC chairwoman to retroactively change the nevada primary rules...to give a victory to Hillary instead of to Bernie (who had stood as the winner by all counts when the day began). To "democratically" enact this, the chairwoman called for a voice-vote...and although the NAYS far-outweighed the YEAS, she declared it a 'YEA'...and the rules retroactively changed. When a motion was brought to the floor to unseat the chairwoman...and it looked like it would succeed...she adjourned the meeting without following the rules and declared Hillary the victor. Then she ran off the stage behind a wall of state police, just moments before this picture was taken...

[/quote]

The system is antiquated, the candidates are inadequate, the reporting is biased and the population is uneducated.  You get what you get.

That is very misleading Jazz.  One of the big problems with getting anything done in this country is that anyone can add anything to a bill.  So if something looks like its going to pass, "save the Children" for example, then dbag number 5 tries to get his own agenda tagged on and approved.  Thus the bill fails or gets blocked.  Although of course, I am sure some of it is pure corruption.

Edited by Jag

My son asked me: "if Trump wins will America be like it was in Back to the Future 2 when Biff was running everything?"

Today I caught a Drowzee and got myself blocked by a politician on Twitter for asking two genuine questions.  Quite proud really.

EDIT:  Here's the twitter account I'm blocked from:

https://twitter.com/steve_mccabe

What did you ask him?  

How do you feel the Brexit will impact the current economic situation, specifically the banking sector in London?  Why does it burn when I pee?

In regards to Labour charging new members £25 extra to be able to vote for the Labour leader even if they have been members since February (and paying every month), he said that "those in poverty are too busy trying to survive to bother with party politics anyway".  I asked why they still can't get the option to if they wanted.  Immediate ban.

How does everyone feel about the Melanie Trump speech borrowing a few lines?  

Whole lot of nothing.  The speech writer should have done a better job with that.

Media time spent on that is a ton vs when Michelle O did the same thing 8 years ago.

It was only a couple of sentences, seems like of all the things to be upset about it sure has become a big deal unnecessarily. 

I doubt they took those sentences and thought they wouldnt be called out for it.  A bad job by the campaign 

It's not like she wrote the speech.  Writer prob got paid off to toss it in or is a plant.  That's politics.

Didn't they work in Games of Thrones references and the like too?  "Winter is coming!"

Did you watch Trumps speech?  He's a bad speaker and has trouble vocalizing complete sentences.  It's almost as if he can't speak clearly unless it's as much as would fit into a tweet

It was pretty obvious from the start they stacked the odds against Bernie

On 7/25/2016 at 7:33 PM, Jeremy said:

The Dem leader stepped down b/c of that, yeah?

Yeah she was boo'd offstage today lol