Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JesGolbez

[AKH] Amonkhet Spoilers!

138 posts in this topic

[1280x720] Trick at Wizards on Twitter Heres a video of the Cryptic Command.mp4

3-28-2017 7-26-59 PM.jpg3-28-2017 7-27-26 PM.jpg3-28-2017 7-27-51 PM.jpg

On one hand, it's ballsy that they went all in on these, and they have some sweet cards (Force of Will?  yes please!)

On the other hand, they went way too far and these cards aren't even readable.  I get adding accents and colors but they went overboard.  They are hideous imho.

Two problems I have with them. Firstly the art is great but it's too small due to the border needing more room? Secondly the "glyphs" around the text that means something needed to be duller so it's there but doesn't make it as hard to read.

otherwise I'm ok with them.

MTGZuby likes this

Keep It Simple Stupid.

Like someone with good ideas just didn't know where to stop.... the border is hideous, the font is unreadable, and the art is too small. FAIL. 

Lasraik likes this

Something else about these lottery cards, we used to get really awesome cards with full art foils (like the fetch lands).  But now we are getting commons that have been reprinted a bunch of times.  Don't get me wrong, Spell Pierce is a cool card but keep these to sought after cards and not a $0.10 common.

3-29-2017 12-35-20 PM.jpg

3-29-2017 12-35-39 PM.jpg

What do you guys think of the Masterpiece's art? Me I think it's really unique and really gave in to the Egytian theme which is super cool for me and I love them. Especially the art of Wrath of God. I was just baffled that another FOW version is coming out which means the value of my FOW promo will even go down further :(

7 minutes ago, Iamyou Youareme said:

What do you guys think of the Masterpiece's art? Me I think it's really unique and really gave in to the Egytian theme which is super cool for me and I love them. Especially the art of Wrath of God. I was just baffled that another FOW version is coming out which means the value of my FOW promo will even go down further :(

Love the Wrath of God art.  Worship and Aven Mindcensor are pretty sweet too.

Lasraik likes this

I dig the artwork, the card design is what I'm not a fan of.  Takes the eyes away from the artwork with all the gold and shiny stuff :blink:

Iamyou Youareme likes this

7 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

I dig the artwork, the card design is what I'm not a fan of.  Takes the eyes away from the artwork with all the gold and shiny stuff :blink:

Lol, it's all about the gold for WOTC :P

I don't love the Invocations but I'm at the very least glad to see WotC try something different. The Masterpiece slot seems like the perfect place to experiment. If most people dislike them then their desirability will push their price down, eating less out of the normal set's EV. The EV of most pulls will be somewhere between before Expeditions/Inventions and where we are now. With that being said, I certainly wasn't opposed to overall cheaper Standard cards.

Embalm is going to provide a real value-oriented Limited for sure, assuming it is sprinkled among enough commons. Excited to see, if any, some rares with lower-cost Embalm and great ETB effects. Also, if we're going to see these good graveyard mechanics, will we finally see some playable graveyard hate again?

Lasraik and Abaddon like this

11 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Something else about these lottery cards, we used to get really awesome cards with full art foils (like the fetch lands).  But now we are getting commons that have been reprinted a bunch of times.  Don't get me wrong, Spell Pierce is a cool card but keep these to sought after cards and not a $0.10 common.

This was literally the first time I'd even heard of Loyal Retainers. More in keeping with the idea of the Masterpieces would have been to include Mana Drain rather than Spell Pierce or Divert. Aren't they supposed to be iconic cards, plus a few from the new set itself? Give us Lightning Bolt, Berserk, Channel (probably Reserved List now I think about it), Time Warp, even cards from some great moments in the Pro Tour like Lightning Helix, Cruel Ultimatum etc would be cool

Also, when oh when will they reprint Flusterstorm again? Surely, if they are going to include about 8 different types of countermagic in the Invocations, Flusterstorm would have been a good choice

Abaddon likes this

18 minutes ago, JesGolbez said:

17458108_1026481767453400_438911717367866028_n.jpg.0895052b76bd38ebc14caf4bca9beaae.jpg

So, Mr. Aven is now officially in this set, albeit at rare. It's rather underpowered for a rare, but given its $ price, it's still a rare I'd be happy to open. 

He is also one of the masterpieces.. i wonder which other masterpieces we will see regular printings of

58 minutes ago, JesGolbez said:

17458108_1026481767453400_438911717367866028_n.jpg.0895052b76bd38ebc14caf4bca9beaae.jpg

So, Mr. Aven is now officially in this set, albeit at rare. It's rather underpowered for a rare, but given its $ price, it's still a rare I'd be happy to open. 

I was lying in bed last night thinking about how the aven would easily fit into AKH, both in flavour and function, as he is the the perfect disruption for cycling. Wizards made a damn good choice here.

Lasraik likes this

55 minutes ago, King of Jank said:

I was lying in bed last night thinking about how the aven would easily fit into AKH, both in flavour and function, as he is the the perfect disruption for cycling. Wizards made a damn good choice here.

Not sure how Mindcensor stops cycling, as that is just draw a card. Still, there may be other spells/tutors that it can wreck. 

Oh, and the basic land arts... beautiful!

C8Gne8eXwAYzovP.jpg.63da75569d5f7670ae9e4b8994837baf.jpg

King of Jank likes this

16 hours ago, King of Jank said:

New common hot off the press!

Unwavering+Initiate+%5BAKH%5D.jpg

Really like this art. Love the coliseum vibe

2 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

Does this mean fetches will be back soon? Lol

18 minutes ago, JesGolbez said:

Not sure how Mindcensor stops cycling, as that is just draw a card. Still, there may be other spells/tutors that it can wreck. 

Oh, and the basic land arts... beautiful!

C8Gne8eXwAYzovP.jpg.63da75569d5f7670ae9e4b8994837baf.jpg

No plains shown in the plains. At least Water is shown in the Islands. Swamps look swampy. No mountains in the mountains. At least the Forest has trees lol

rainman likes this

21 minutes ago, JesGolbez said:

Ah! My mistake! I always mistake Cycling and Basicland Cycling as the same thing...

3 minutes ago, MTGZuby said:

Does this mean fetches will be back soon? Lol

Lol, Directly after the MM17 reprints! That would send investors into a frenzy.

MTGZuby and Lasraik like this

37 minutes ago, King of Jank said:

Ah! My mistake! I always mistake Cycling and Basicland Cycling as the same thing...

Lol, Directly after the MM17 reprints! That would send investors into a frenzy.

It would simply be hilarious though if the fetches were reprinted again. Dive those prices into the ground

47 minutes ago, Transcendent MTG said:

we could get a new type of fetch.

Lukewarm Tarn - Pay 1 life and sac, search the top 8 cards of your library for a plains or a mountain and put it into play. 

There, Mindcensor would screw up half of that ;)