Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

...AlbyMTG!

15 posts in this topic

Thanks to @AlbyMTG for being this months Spotlight and also to @MTGMTB for helping!  If you haven't already, be sure to subscribe to Alby's YouTube channel here

Question: How have you been lately?  Anything fun or interesting you'd like to share?

Answer: I've been good.  Lots of schoolwork taking up most of my free time right now, but other than that, pretty good.  Nothing really too fun or too interesting either.  I was at a business competition recently where I took 5th place in the state.  Other than that though, basically nothing. 

Q: What are you studying?

A: Since I'm in this special program that allows me to take my classes on a college campus even though I'm still in high school,most of it is general stuff.  English classes, basic math classes,and general psychology are among them.  I am going to major in Marketing and minor in Management.  To help with that, I was able to take a few basic business courses as well like Microeconomics.

Q: You mentioned helping recently at your LGS with a Vintage tournament, how did that go?  What were the biggest challenges and how did you overcome with them?

A: The vintage tournament went well.  The store owner is pretty much known for his vintage play and he has trophies in the shop from winning vintage tournaments.  He was there, so he pretty much did everything.  I helped with things like running the round timers, putting in match results, and selling singles and things to other people who came in during the tournament.  One of the best vintage players in the world was there and I got to watch a bit of one of his matches.  His name is Brian Kelly and he won the 2015 Vintage Championship and got to play in last year's Vintage Super League which is hosted on the official Magic: The Gathering YouTube channel.  For challenges, there really weren't any.  Judge calls are usually the hardest thing, but all the judge calls were handled by the store owner.

Q: Do you help with tournaments and other events regularly?  Do you aspire to do more of that eventually?

A: I technically only run the shop once a week, but if I'm there and the owner needs help, then I'll help him with finding cards or helping other customers.  I would like to have more hours there.  I like working there.  I'm fine with making sales, I find it sorting cards to be relaxing, and I get to spend my time with Magic cards which is what I would be doing anyway if I wasn't at work.

Q: Do you have any desire to play MTG professionally some day?

A: Playing professionally one day would be amazing, but I don't see it ever happening.  There are too many other great players in the game already and even though I'm a good player, I still have a lot of work that I still need to put into this game in order to even start thinking about trying to play professionally.

Q: How do you decide when to make a video for your YouTube channel and what is your process for planning, recording and editing videos?

A: I have a ton of different video ideas that I come up with.  I'll have like 3 different ideas everyday.  However, your question wanted to know about "when" I choose to make videos, but let's be perfectly honest, my upload schedule is horrible.  It is absolutely horrible.  I basically choose when to make videos based solely around when I can get free time alone.  Back when I used to make gaming videos, my mom walked in on me making a commentary and then proceeded to ask a million questions about what I was doing, what a subscriber was, the privacy settings on YouTube because a child shouldn't be making videos for the internet, etc.  So, I choose to only record the audio for my videos when I am alone in the house.  Because of this, I don't really get to decide when I make my videos.  In terms of planning, I always like to do research before hand just to back up any claims that I will make in the video.  In terms of editing, if I don't edit it right away, it usually just sits on my desktop and gets lost in the icons of papers for school and card images (For example: The Aether Revolt limited pack openings that I recorded almost 3 months ago). #AlbyIsABadYouTuber

Q: From the moment you sit down and plan a video on average how long does the process take (planning, design, recording, adding voice, editing and so on)?

A: For an average video, it probably takes around 2 or 3 hours.  Planning is generally 5-10 mins because my videos are usually simple, so they don't require as much planning as what some other YouTubers need for certain videos. Recording is usually another 10-20 mins depending on video length.  Editing usually takes me about an hour and a half to two hours based on video length and how many different card names I say in the video.  Most of this time is spent making sure that card images come up at the exact second that they are mention and also cutting out any bits of silence that are too long and any occurrence of "um" that doesn't detract from the audio once removed.  Sometimes when I speak, "um" will be immediately followed by a word and they are too close together for more to remove the "um" while still trying to make it sound natural.  Then I have to render out of the editing software which takes about 15 minutes, upload to YouTube which also takes an additional 20 minutes, and fill out the tags and description for the video which is yet another 15 minutes.  As the video is uploading, I use that time to create the thumbnail for the video.  The time for this usually depends on how long it takes for me to choose a card to use and then whether or not I can find the full artwork for the card.  Some card arts are much easier to find than others.  When the thumbnail is made and the video's tags are finished, then the video is finally completed.

Q: What format is your favorite?

A: Draft is my favorite format.  As a high school student without a job, I didn't have the money to build the expensive decks when I first started.  That led me to drafting.  All players start on an even playing field.  It really allows for players to show their skills by noticing subtle synergies, reading signals, evaluating cards, and deck building.  I hear a lot of people that don't like drafting and one of the biggest goals I have with my channel is that I want to improve my viewers play in limited formats like draft and sealed.  I haven't gotten around to doing a series yet on true drafting tips and how to become a better drafter, but it is definitely something that I'm looking into for over the summer when I have a lot of free time.  I went 0-3 in my first draft ever on May 22, 2015.  I didn't understand anything and I just took green and white cards because that was the colors of my standard deck at the time.  I went home that night and decided that I didn't want to feel like I didn't know what I was doing.  I had only been playing for around 6-8 months at the time, but I felt like this could be my thing if I worked for it.  Everyone else had their 60 card decks, but I wanted to learn how to master the 40 card deck.  I put in the work and did what I wanted to do and declared limited as my area of expertise.  On October 22, 2015, 5 months after I had just 0-3'd my first ever draft, I participated in my 3rd draft ever and split a box and a half with my opponent after going 4-0 to make it into the finals.  Thus, my conquering of the draft format began.  I proceeded to go on a streak from OGW-AER where I didn't have a negative record in over 15+ drafts. That streak has since been ended, but my love for limited formats only grows larger.

Q: How long have you been playing MTG and how did you start?

A: I have been playing Magic: The Gathering since just after the release of Dragons of Tarkir in terms of sets and the beginning of April 2015 in terms of actual time.  I'm basically a newcomer.  I'm at exactly 2 years of playing Magic which is crazy to think about.  I've come such a long way as both a player and a person over those 2 years.  I had first heard of Magic: The Gathering from a babysitter in 2011.  He played and showed me the cards he had and they reminded me of the Yugioh cards that I loved playing with a few years before that.  I bought a deck builder's toolkit and played Magic with him for about a month during that summer that he babysat me.  I then put the cards back in the beck builder's toolkit box and put them on a shelf and completely forgot about them (Also, since it was only a month, I really don't consider that my start). Fast forward to 4 years later.  This nerdy kid sits next to me and my friend in my Business Law class because there were no seats left.  As the class goes on, it turns out the nerdy kid is actually a really nice, funny guy.  One day, he brings in a pack of Magic: The Gathering cards and opens them.  He then proceeds to take out a deck box from his bag and place the cards into the deck box.  As he was pulling the deck box out of his back, several D20s, D12s, etc. fall out of his bag and I help him pick them up.  I told him I had some of those cards that he had just opened, but I didn't know where they were.  He tells me to bring them in to school tomorrow.  I bring in the cards and he tells me about the place that is only 10 mins away where he plays tournaments with these cards.  I thought that was the coolest thing ever.  I didn't have my license at the time because I was still too young, so he picked me up one Friday and I went to FNM.  I learned how to play the game and bought another deck builder's toolkit and I've been back to that store almost every Friday since that day.

Q: Do you have a big collection?

A: In comparison to most people's collections, no.  I haven't been playing long enough to have the enormous quantity that most people have, but it is around 6,000 to 8,000 cards.

Q: Any card(s) in your collection that are your favorite?   Whether it be because of their value, play ability or nostalgia?

A: The first card that comes to mind is Servant of the Scale.  I played that card in my first ever standard deck, Green White Counters, and I've had a lot of good memories with the card.  The next that come to mind are Gisela, the Broken Blade and Bruna, the Fading Light because they led me to 2 Game Day Champion playmats.  In terms of value, I haven't pulled anything that was $100+, but I've pulled a few cards that were around $70 or $80 at the time I pulled them like my masterpiece Oblivion Stone and Foil Gisela, the Broken Blade during the EMN prerelease.

Q: When you pull a card like a foil Masterpiece, do you usually trade, sell or keep it?

A: I've gotten into the habit of just keeping all of my cards.  It isn't the smartest move financially because of the cards loosing value over time, but I like the feeling of knowing that I already own them whenever I want/need them and that they were mine to begin with.

Q: Which set or block has been your favorite?

A: It is easily Eldritch Moon.  It was such a good limited format and as previously stated, you all know my opinions on limited.  Emerge was a great mechanic both in flavor and in how it plays.  There were a lot of great rares and mythics, but nothing that was just instantly unbeatable.  For many of the rares, even if you didn't open a money card, you felt fine because it would still be good for limited.  There were a lot of strong commons and uncommons as well so it never really felt like you were short on playables unless you really messed up.  Liliana is also my favorite planeswalker, so having her artwork on my champion playmat was the extra icing on the cake for me when it came to this set.

Q: You've mentioned in your videos you think Standard is in a good place currently, are there any changes you'd make given the chance to the format?

A: There are changes that I'd like to see made, but I think people just complain too much in this community.  Everyone I've met is super cool and I love talking to them and exchanging ideas, but for the MTG community as a whole, there is a lot of complaining.  One deck does well and people instantly jump to calling it unbeatable.  One new card gets spoiled and people instantly jump to saying new things need to be banned because of this card being printed.  Maybe, it is just because I was learning to play Magic when Siege Rhino decks were 70+% of the meta and then followed by Collected Company being 70+% of the meta again.  This is just what I've been used to in standard my time playing.  The biggest changes that I would make would just be printing more staple cards and printing better removal.  When i say staple cards and better removal, I don't mean things that would just instantly ruin an entire format.  It would be small things like Lightning Bolt, a one mana accelerator like Noble Hierarch or Llanowar Elves, etc.  I might even experiment with reprinting true modern staple cards in standard, but then just not supporting them. How good is a Karn Liberated without tron lands/mana ramp in format where we print a bunch of great aggro cards?  How good are fetchlands if they could only find you basics?  How good is Living End without being able to cascade into it? Still pretty good because it works for the expertise cards in standard right now, but what about the set after that?  Some interesting changes like that would be fun to see, but other than those, I think standard is fine.  Yes, I'm the only one who thinks it is fine, but I'm ok with that because everyone is entitled to their own opinion and no one opinion is correct over the other.

Q: Would you be in favor of un-banning anything in Standard?

A: I think that at this point, unbanning the cards that were banned would do be too bad.  I'd rather have not seen any of them banned in the first place, but now the damage is done and it would cause too many problems to have them just all unbanned.  

Q: Any other hobbies outside of MTG?

A: Not really.  This game has kind of consumed my life.  I guess aside from this I'm part of a bowling team that my dad has for his work (we are currently in 1st place, but we find out on Monday is we finish this year in 1st or 2nd), I did a lot of things with Future Business Leaders of America which was the business competition that I had mentioned in my answer to question 1, and I enjoy watching lots of YouTube videos.  Other than that, maybe twice a month I'll get to put in a good gaming session of Skyrim, but that is about it.

Q: What is your highest bowling score?

A: Nothing too impressive. 214.  The league that my dad's team bowls in goes off of averages and handicaps so that bad bowlers have a chance against the good ones.  My average in the league is a 130.

Q: What are your plans for this Summer?

A: I currently have none.  I'm still debating on some things for the summer.  I might get a job because that means I can spend more money on this game.  I work at my LGS once a week, but I'd like to get a real job with more hours at some point.  If I don't do that, I'll probably end up taking some more college courses during that time.  Since I'm only 17 and I'm still technically in high school, I get a very significant discount (75% off each course) on my current college classes and the last point where I'm eligible for the discount would be this summer.  I don't think my parents have any vacations or anything like that planned either.  Hopefully, with whatever ends up happening, I'll be here on the forums or on YouTube ready to talk about Magic: The Gathering.

Abaddon, Manticore, rainman and 3 others like this

1 hour ago, Manticore said:

oooo vintage tournament!  any crazy decks in it ?

Lots of Mentor, Shops, Paradoxical Outcome, and Oath.  Craziest thing I saw was someone playing 3 mainboard copies of Managorger Hydra.  I think that guy finished 1-3, but I still thought it was super cool to see someone trying that out in vintage.

MTGZuby, Abaddon, Lasraik and 1 other like this

20 hours ago, Breakfast with Nerds said:

Great interview!! We would love to hear tips on drafting in a future video.

Currently in the planning process for something like this.  I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what I want to do in terms of tips.  Do I start from the complete beginning and then gradually go more in depth on the tips, or do I just assume everyone knows the basics of drafting and card evaluation and go straight for the in depth tips?  I know that I can help people become better limited players, its more of just trying to figure out how early on/basic the lessons need to start as.

59 minutes ago, AlbyMTG said:

This is a tough question.  The first deck that came to mind was Lands in Legacy, but I feel like it would be much more of a me answer if I said a sealed deck with 12 mythics.

Technically possible but a 12 mythic sealed pool might attract some suspicion from your poor opponents

AlbyMTG likes this

6 hours ago, AlbyMTG said:

Currently in the planning process for something like this.  I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what I want to do in terms of tips.  Do I start from the complete beginning and then gradually go more in depth on the tips, or do I just assume everyone knows the basics of drafting and card evaluation and go straight for the in depth tips?  I know that I can help people become better limited players, its more of just trying to figure out how early on/basic the lessons need to start as.

Well I'd say start as basic as you can!  I know there are a lot of people out there who play constructed and even sealed but are a little intimidated by drafting at a table.   We would love to see how you evaluate cards and why you choose some cards over others, and also hear your thought process on when you decide what colors you are drafting in and things like that.  Starting too basic is never a bad thing!

Lasraik likes this

1 hour ago, Breakfast with Nerds said:

Well I'd say start as basic as you can!  I know there are a lot of people out there who play constructed and even sealed but are a little intimidated by drafting at a table.   We would love to see how you evaluate cards and why you choose some cards over others, and also hear your thought process on when you decide what colors you are drafting in and things like that.  Starting too basic is never a bad thing!

I agree.  I'm terrible at draft and any little bit helps

1 hour ago, Breakfast with Nerds said:

11 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

I agree.  I'm terrible at draft and any little bit helps

Got it.  I'll start from the basics and hopefully I'll be able to improve everyone's skills in the limited formats.  If people are willing to put in the time and dedicate themselves to learning limited, I guarantee that I can help them improve.  For Aether Revolt, one of my friends, who is also a very good player, had the worst showing he has ever had at a prerelease.  I went 8-1 and he went 1-8.  He hated that feeling and he knew he wanted to dedicate himself to improving his limited play for the release day draft in less than a week. I made sure he was serious and was willing to put in the work, he said he was, and he proceeded to win the release day draft after I had helped him for a week.  It felt great knowing that I was capable of helping like that.  If I can do the same thing for even just one of my viewers, then the entire series will be worth it.

11 hours ago, Breakfast with Nerds said:

This. Draft is super stressful for me due to the opportunity cost of every pick. Pack 1 Pick 1's are popular, but seem to be targeted at more experienced drafters. I get a lot of value from things like Marshall's Draft Stream from Limited Resources, where he'll talk through which cards he's deciding between and comment on the signals he's getting from other players.

AlbyMTG and Abaddon like this

4 hours ago, isharacomix said:

This. Draft is super stressful for me due to the opportunity cost of every pick. Pack 1 Pick 1's are popular, but seem to be targeted at more experienced drafters. I get a lot of value from things like Marshall's Draft Stream from Limited Resources, where he'll talk through which cards he's deciding between and comment on the signals he's getting from other players.

Got it.  I was kind of hesitant at first because I felt like people would just watch LR instead of my series because of better credibility, but hopefully the series will end up going well.

Abaddon likes this

23 hours ago, AlbyMTG said:

Got it.  I'll start from the basics and hopefully I'll be able to improve everyone's skills in the limited formats.  If people are willing to put in the time and dedicate themselves to learning limited, I guarantee that I can help them improve.  For Aether Revolt, one of my friends, who is also a very good player, had the worst showing he has ever had at a prerelease.  I went 8-1 and he went 1-8.  He hated that feeling and he knew he wanted to dedicate himself to improving his limited play for the release day draft in less than a week. I made sure he was serious and was willing to put in the work, he said he was, and he proceeded to win the release day draft after I had helped him for a week.  It felt great knowing that I was capable of helping like that.  If I can do the same thing for even just one of my viewers, then the entire series will be worth it.

9 hours ago, AlbyMTG said:

Got it.  I was kind of hesitant at first because I felt like people would just watch LR instead of my series because of better credibility, but hopefully the series will end up going well.

I think I'd rather watch someone I "know"!  We are both pretty pumped for this series.  You've definitely got a couple viewers lined up already.

With the Amonkhet prerelease coming up, now is the perfect time for some tips on sealed! :) 

isharacomix and Lasraik like this