Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Windows 7, 8 and 10

54 posts in this topic

A couple of days ago I decided it was time to do a fresh OS install.  Looked into Windows 10 and after reading some of the complaints people had about spyware and the fact that my PC is getting up in age decided to stay with Windows 7.  Another reason is I'm taking GIS classes and ArcGIS had some issues with Windows 10 from what I read on the Arc website.

After trying Windows 8 and hating the UI I'm really not wanting to try Windows 10.  How similar is it to the UI on 8?  Lots of trouble with hardware and software compatibility?

 

JesGolbez likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel the same way, although I really know little about the technology involved.

I use 7 at home, and 8 at work, and hate the interface of Windoze 8. I see no reason to update my home computer when I like how 7 works... I don't need my computer to have the same interface as my phone :)

Of course, I am old and used to use Norton Commander and actual DOS to do things...those were the days!

Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JesGolbez said:

I feel the same way, although I really know little about the technology involved.

I use 7 at home, and 8 at work, and hate the interface of Windoze 8. I see no reason to update my home computer when I like how 7 works... I don't need my computer to have the same interface as my phone :)

Of course, I am old and used to use Norton Commander and actual DOS to do things...those were the days!

DOS!

16 minutes ago, Jag said:

I just update and ge used to the new UI.  I am happy with 10, but then again I don't do any programming.

Don't do much programming, either but ArcGIS and Windows 10 aren't listed as compatible yet.  Read over some horror stories

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The interface in Windows 10 is like Win7 and not at all like Win8.

I hated 8 and refused to upgrade.  A few months back, I upgraded 1 PC to 10.  Within a few weeks, I upgraded all my other PCs to 10.

I think it is very well done and have not had any issues.  Only thing for you to consider, I know you were ditching cable.  (hows that going btw?)  Win 10 does not have WMC.

Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you turn off all of the spyware that comes with 10?  My PC hardware is getting up there in years and I had doubts 10 would find the drivers and I would get all I could out of it.  So when I get a PC upgrade I'll go with 10.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, but honestly, I don't give a crap.  If there is something I want to hide, I'll use a VM.  Its on my to do list to turn off that stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both Win 8 and 10 are fine OS's. Many folks think of Win8 and only think of the Metro interface (the tiles). That really was shit and only useful for a touchscreen tablet. The real beauty with W8 is that it was a very light OS and also came with a Win7 desktop with no start button. Everyone I knew installed Classic Shell with hours of installing Win8, which basically re-created the start button and turned it into a W7 PC with a lighter OS footprint. Then completely ignored Metro tiles until 10 came out. I could boot from cold into both win8 and then into plex within 30 seconds, it was that light and that quick. Pretty sure I posted a video showing that.

Win8 was never designed from the ground up for corporate use, and that is the primary reason it failed. If you can't use it effectively in business, it fails for education and becomes less attractive for people at home, who should be using it in business. Win10 has resolved those issues. It will do just fine in business and it will do just fine at home. I'm typing this on it and it has been installed on all my home PC's since last autumn without issue.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have upgraded 2 pc's and a laptop to win 10 from 7.  Hated the UI on 8.  Win 10 has some of the Win 8 UI but is closer to Win 7, so there is some learning curve. 

But short of a software that you need not working on Win 10 I would recommend upgrading.  One of the pc's is a 6 yr old AMD, Win 10 uses the same or less resources than Win 7.

The only problem I have had is the finger scanner on the laptop has stopped working.  Although I expect a new driver to fix it soon.

 

PS:  I also like the xbox one app that comes with Win10, I can control the volume and turn off my son's xbox remotely :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lasraik said:

A couple of days ago I decided it was time to do a fresh OS install.  Looked into Windows 10 and after reading some of the complaints people had about spyware and the fact that my PC is getting up in age decided to stay with Windows 7.  Another reason is I'm taking GIS classes and ArcGIS had some issues with Windows 10 from what I read on the Arc website.

After trying Windows 8 and hating the UI I'm really not wanting to try Windows 10.  How similar is it to the UI on 8?  Lots of trouble with hardware and software compatibility?

 

Set Win10 up to dual boot to Linux ... ArcGIS will work in that.  Of course, that may mean you have to learn to use Linux, but if you're on an educational journey anyway ... why not?  Then again, save yourself some heartache and just dual boot to Win7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Boag said:

 

The only problem I have had is the finger scanner on the laptop has stopped working.  Although I expect a new driver to fix it soon.

 

I had some issues with drivers on my AMD-based HTPC and Win10. I found i could just use Win7 drivers for that device with Win10. Might be worth a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Elovia said:

Set Win10 up to dual boot to Linux ... ArcGIS will work in that.  Of course, that may mean you have to learn to use Linux, but if you're on an educational journey anyway ... why not?  Then again, save yourself some heartache and just dual boot to Win7.

I haven't messed with Linux since early 2000's when I went line by line during installation a few times.  That was fun back then, now it would probably drive me to drink more.

Thought about dual booting but really Windows 7 does all I need an OS to do right now.  When I get a PC upgrade I'll go with 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2016 at 10:09 PM, Pasanda said:

Both Win 8 and 10 are fine OS's. Many folks think of Win8 and only think of the Metro interface (the tiles). That really was shit and only useful for a touchscreen tablet. The real beauty with W8 is that it was a very light OS and also came with a Win7 desktop with no start button. Everyone I knew installed Classic Shell with hours of installing Win8, which basically re-created the start button and turned it into a W7 PC with a lighter OS footprint. Then completely ignored Metro tiles until 10 came out. I could boot from cold into both win8 and then into plex within 30 seconds, it was that light and that quick. Pretty sure I posted a video showing that.

Win8 was never designed from the ground up for corporate use, and that is the primary reason it failed. If you can't use it effectively in business, it fails for education and becomes less attractive for people at home, who should be using it in business. Win10 has resolved those issues. It will do just fine in business and it will do just fine at home. I'm typing this on it and it has been installed on all my home PC's since last autumn without issue.

 

 

So you would recommend upgrading to Windows 10 from 7?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's how I did it. I never used windows 8 on a regular basis. Only my son's PC had it (my guinea pig).

HTPC and gaming box went straight from 7 to 10. Only issue was I had was the sound drivers. Just did a driver update and all was good. 

Everything is now on 10, except my Vista PC. Holding out hope for a free upgrade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dunnar said:

That's how I did it. I never used windows 8 on a regular basis. Only my son's PC had it (my guinea pig).

HTPC and gaming box went straight from 7 to 10. Only issue was I had was the sound drivers. Just did a driver update and all was good. 

Everything is now on 10, except my Vista PC. Holding out hope for a free upgrade. 

Does your son play Minecraft?  Any issues with Windows 10?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, he plays minecraft. No issues. 

Only issues he has with minecraft is when he tries to install mods. Got a virus last month and locked out of the account last week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2016 at 11:32 AM, Jazz said:

So you would recommend upgrading to Windows 10 from 7?

Only if you were having issues, or required some additional resources, or needed to geek. W7 is also a great OS. Very stable and performs well. W10 also has some nice Xbox integration and is still free, which won't always be the case. 

I probably would on the basis that there are few downsides (potential driver issues) and several upsides (longevity of support, footprint, platform integration - mobile and xbox, performance, shinyness). But i wouldn't go out of my way to do it.

Jazz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

Only if you were having issues, or required some additional resources, or needed to geek. W7 is also a great OS. Very stable and performs well. W10 also has some nice Xbox integration and is still free, which won't always be the case. 

I probably would on the basis that there are few downsides (potential driver issues) and several upsides (longevity of support, footprint, platform integration - mobile and xbox, performance, shinyness). But i wouldn't go out of my way to do it.

Cool thanks, glad to hear this actually.  While I am happy with Windows 7 I realise that it is not going to be supported forever and the upgrade to Windows 10 isn't going to be around forever.  I was mainly concerned about the spyware potential you hear people talking about but I know you can turn most of that off when I did my laptop.  Main concern then is whether my Office 2007 will keep working or not...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Office will be fine i think. Pretty sure we've tried that combination here. 

W7 should be fine for 4-5 years. MS stopped supporting XP for anything but security patches 7 years ago, but it's still used by millions. So you have time i think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it was more the free upgrade heh.  I'm a cheapskate....

Might set it to upgrade tonight before I go to bed, as I won't be in tomorrow night till late anyway....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is the only reason I upgraded.  Otherwise, I was fine staying on 7 for the foreseeable future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh.  My computer all of a sudden decided now would be a good time to upgrade to Win 10 all on its own. I've been very careful about specifically NOT allowing Win 10 to install.  The only thing I can figure is the wife or kid hopped on my computer while I was out, they must have seen the annoying pop up reminder to upgrade, and then didn't dismiss the pop up correctly.  I sure as hell didn't authorize this.

So now I'm resigned to it ... or will look for a revert to previous OS install (what's the chance MS put that command or function in?).

In a way, the lack of control over my own hardware just pisses me off.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason why my gaming computer is Win10 is because it has DX12 so it's some future proofing.
Win10 is only tolerable if it was upgraded from win7 because of some of the programs win10 is missing and cant get again.
I have win8 on my work pc but I put classicshell on it and they didnt care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bleh ... the pain with a new OS is getting it set up to something more comfortable rather than default settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0