Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jag

New Rig

28 posts in this topic

It is about time for a new rig.  Starting my research today.  Budget is 2k. The monitor's are a separate budget item.

I hear talk from time to time about making sure your components work well together.  What are they talking about, and how do you make sure?

The last system I built had a freeze problem that I was never able to resolve, so I am a bit nervous about the build.  What input, tips, and/or recommendations do you guys have?

Here is my start list.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($218.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($121.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC) (considering another ssd here)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card ($699.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H440 (Matte Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair SP140 49.5 CFM 140mm Fans ($28.99 @ Amazon)

Total: ~$1600.00

Edited by Jag

Realistically if you have the 2k budget I'd look at getting a watercooling corsair cpu cooler like the h100i - has done me wonders for the past 3 years and I render content regularly. I'd also up the mechanical storage drive to a 2tb if not more and possibly push up to the ryzen 7 1700 (although I'll be going 1800x) mainly for futureproofing. The 1080ti will last you a long long time for sure, so may as well get a cpu that will do the same! Memory can always be added to for more later on so 16 I'm sure will be fine. Other than that I approve of the list.

Jag and Lasraik like this

If i only had to change one thing, it would be to switch to an Intel CPU. Been building rigs for 25 years and in all that time, the only stability issues i've had, have been when using RAID and when using AMD CPU's (and once an AMD GPU). Saying that, i use a 6 year old APU now (A4 3500) on my HTPC and whilst it's never been pushed, it has always remained stable. So whilst i've had stable AMD stuff, the only unstable stuff has also been AMD. For a gaming rig, i would choose Intel every time. Also, Intel and Nvidia work better together (just imho). 

So i'd probably be looking at an i7 7700k, which is much faster, lower power (so you can put on a lower spec cooler too) and similar in price.

I woudn't worry about super coolers, unless you plan overclocking. Stock will be fine for an Intel CPU.

Can't argue with the GPU.

Nice video card. Don't cheap out on the power supply. Without doing any calcs, or looking at the specs on your selected ps ... verify rail load requirements (volt-amps) compared to capacity provided by each rail. Some lower priced units share rails between plugs which can lead to underpowered devices and cause freezes as you've mentioned in your current system. Personally, I would shoot for a higher wattage ps with a bit better efficiency (provided it met rail capacity needs) ... but then again, I would pay more for it, too.

YMMV

Component Selection Base Price Promo Shipping Tax Price    
CPU Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $339.99            
CPU Cooler ARCTIC Freezer i32 CPU Cooler $23.99            

Motherboard MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $154.99            
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $134.75            
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $167.99            
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card $699.99            
Case NZXT H440 (Matte Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $109.99            
Power Supply Silverstone Strider Platinum 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  150$            
Total (8 / 9 Items): $1744.68    

Better?  I stole a lot of the components off of someplace... 

With the cooler.  Lots of reviews stating that the newer tech is much more efficient, and cooling towers are no longer needed unless you are a serious over clocker.

I already have an unused 500gb ssd, we use external drives for multimedia storage.

Edited by Jag

After considering the expense I should be able to pick up one of these babies.

download.jpg

No monitor with the new rig, yet.  I will use the 4k tv I have now, and upgrade to one of those curved deals later on.  I got to sit at one for a bit and I was amazed at the improvement.  Reading things anywhere on the screen is much easier, and it adds depth of view.

Edited by Jag

Yeah, one thing I have learnt is to not skimp on the PSU.  Doesn't matter if the saving you make from it goes to better parts elsewhere if that thing fails and fries everything.

Can't fault that lot Jag. The Sammy SSD is a really nice bit of kit. It's going to fly. It will have finished your games for you, before you've even installed them.

I bought the ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 for my gaming rig, but it's still sat in the box 2 years later, as the stock cooler that came with my i7 4770k was more than good enough. Then again, I've never felt the need to OC it.

You've missed out the HDD. As Mark said, for the cost difference, go for a 2-3 Tb. I have a 250Gb SSD and a 1Tb in my gaming rig. I move the games i'm not playing for a while of the SDD to the HDD and back again when i'm in the mood. Your SSD is twice the size, so should last longer, but I was surprised by how quickly the HDD starts filling with those archived games. Just GTA V was nearly 10% of the HDD alone.

Looks good.

I concur with Intel+Nvidia.  Over the years, they have proven themselves to be very stable and reliable.

If you are thinking about upgrading the stock cooler, I love the corsair hydro series.  Been running on mine for years and it does a fantastic job.

Word on the street is that the arctic freeze does a lot more than you would expect it to.  If it does not, it is a rather simple upgrade.

Since we run multiple computers I have an external 500gb drive we use to move our games around ( I only downloaded LOTRO once then just copped it to the other 3).  I have a 500gb ssd not being used, as well as a  terabyte external connected to the router for pictures and whatever.  I suppose it would be a bit quicker to install a big drive in the system, but I am not worried about that for now.  If I did not already have the 500 sitting there, I would get something much larger.

How can I tell if the parts will work together well?  People talk about bench marking being more than simply the sum of the components.  What are they referring to?

Edited by Jag

58 minutes ago, Jag said:

Word on the street is that the arctic freeze does a lot more than you would expect it to.  If it does not, it is a rather simple upgrade.

Since we run multiple computers I have an external 500gb drive we use to move our games around ( I only downloaded LOTRO once then just copped it to the other 3).  I have a 500gb ssd not being used, as well as a  terabyte external connected to the router for pictures and whatever.  I suppose it would be a bit quicker to install a big drive in the system, but I am not worried about that for now.  If I did not already have the 500 sitting there, I would get something much larger.

How can I tell if the parts will work together well?  People talk about bench marking being more than simply the sum of the components.  What are they referring to?

Others may have views, but if I was building a PC with those parts, I wouldn't worry and I wouldn't think about benchmarking. Aside from ensuring that your memory timings work with the Mobo (very rarely mobos can be restrictive on permitted timings), there isn't really anything to worry about.

The Freezer is physically tall. Ensure there is clearance in the case.

The GPU might be shit-long. Ensure

If the PSU is a relatively old model, ensure it has enough rails to run everything. Usually 2 for the GPU, 2-3 for the mobo, 2 Sata power for 2 drives, multiple fan headers (case * n, cpu cooler), 472 LED headers (I know you and yer Electric Cowboy rigs)

Edited by Pasanda

If you think about modern computer technology, it is pretty much a given that you will have a data bottleneck somewhere (just because some parts do their jobs faster or more efficiently than others). The key is to decide where in your system you will tolerate it. But with modern systems such as you've outlined, the bottleneck may be very small and unless you routinely ask your computer to perform massive calculations on large data sets, your computer will wait most often on the slowest component in the system (the user).

Make sure your data bus speeds are adequate.  And your random read/write. And your memory speed and timing are compatible with your m/b.

Bottlenecks can be the result of software as well as hardware ... CPU or GPU bound.

Most modern components will play together in the sandbox, but the most noise comes from nerds trying to eek out a fraction of a percent more [insert critical metric].

Edited by Elovia

Also Elovia mentioned he uses an old video card to run additional monitors.  If I am just going to use potential additional screens for web browsing/movies do I need the second card.  I do have some lying around I think.  If I do want extended displays I think the new card could handle it.

Edited by Jag

Depends on how many video out ports, and which type, your card has vs what types of inputs your multiple monitors can accommodate. For example, the card on my work machine is very picky about which ports may be used at the same time (shared resource pool) so my 3-monitor setup has a combination of digital and analog outputs that required me to find a digital-analog adapter for the monitor plug.

I use a second, albeit older card in my home machine for a couple reasons:  I need the extra ports, and I coveniently offload physx to the second GPU (this may not be a big deal with your card and modern games that don't exclusively use physx).

Also, my home monitor setup is PLP, and there is noticable difference as the card has to render in portrait mode what otherwise would be smooth in landscape mode.

Edited by Elovia
Jag likes this

I can run whatever I want on my PC while I stream a movie to my projector.  My card is a GTX 480 that was released in 2010.  Your card should be fine.

The program I used to compile the list, is SUPPOSED to check all the space, wattage, and compatibility.  We stream everything vs torrent/pirate it so I am not sure we need a home server.  The main motivation behind the new rig is that kid number 3 is of age that he wants to game with us.  Now I could just get something budget, but I have always disliked paying less for shorter term, when I could pay more for the long haul.  Only 4 or 5 more years before the littlest one is old enough to complete the fellowship.  Maybe I should make them rings....

Thanks for the tips, those sound like great things to research.

Dunno fella. I'd be surprised if that helix isn't lit up like a xmas tree, and the fans are lit too. No point in lighting it if ya can't see it.

True.  The lighting is neither here nor there for me, the computer goes under the desk in my setup.  I like the case design.  With vertical mountings for the hard drives.  Great setup for air flow.

I really like the integrated water cooler.  I think it's the wave of the future.

Edited by Jag

3 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Separated at birth we were ... a year apart, but that is just quibbling over details. :)

My two Antec cases are P180 (white) and P182 (gun metal grey).  They're very similar in style and, more importantly, very quiet since they have some sound deadening in them.  Also, the PSU has its own chamber separate from the m/b chamber which helps funnel airflow to it.

Edited by Elovia

Something to consider, if you're into nerd bling ...

On my current machine, I use an SSD for my OS, and a second SSD for frequently accessed stuff, like games.  I also have a USB HD for external storage (but I digress).  One of the nifty little devices that I put on my machine was a 4-port hot-swappable SSD bay.  So I could have up to 4 SSDs installed, and have the ability to swap them out as needed.

For example, this is the part I have, but there are other very similar products you could use instead.

Edited by Elovia