Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rhino

liliana
Make Liliana Death Wielder a bit more competitive

4 posts in this topic

I haven't started on this yet, but I'm going to see if what it'll take to make the Liliana Planes walker deck more competitive. I'd like to try to do it as a budget upgrade. What do you think? Do more Zombies and less big stompys. Here's the base deck.

1 Liliana, Death Wielder
1 Festering Mummy
2 Dune Beetle
4 Tattered Mummy
1 Channeler Initiate
2 Baleful Ammit
3 Desiccated Naga
2 Gravedigger
1 Crocodile of the Crossing
2 Giant Spider
2 Decimator Beetle
2 Liliana's Influence
2 Splendid Agony
1 Edifice of Authority
1 Luxa River Shrine
1 Oracle's Vault
2 Trial of Ambition
2 Cartouche of Ambition
2 Cartouche of Strength
1 Gift of Paradise
4 Foul Orchard
1 Grasping Dunes
11 Swamp
9 Forest

Manticore likes this

These are the things that are jumping out at me:

• They made it really heavy on three drops. I think that playing with the cartouche idea is worthwhile, but...
    • Splendid agony is a decent limited card, but not strong enough for constructed. I would swap it straight out for Grasp of Darkness and/or Fatal Push... and increase the numbers.
  • Giant Spider, Dune Beetle and Gravedigger aren't even playable I don't think. I can see that they're attempting to soak up some -1/-1 counters and survive, but they just won't hack it against the ground threats in Standard right now. Would try Exemplar of Strength, Bontu, the Glorified, Bone Picker, or Mindwrack Demon. All pretty affordable so far.
  • Best quick upgrade award: Swap out Festering Mummy for Cryptbreaker or Ruthless Sniper.
  • Also, if this Lili is trying to deal out -1/-1 counters, where is Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons? Still at $1.
  • I would up the Channeler Initiate numbers, there are some aggressively high-costed creatures here that are trying to be cast.
  • If we're going to be dealing in so many self counters, swap out Dessicated Naga for Defiant Greatmaw, better body and much more relevant text.
  • I would lose all 3 of those slow terrible artifacts too, and probably just replace with good removal. OR if you want to do something more on-theme and probably equally janky, throw a couple Liliana's Indignations in there, in hopes of comboing with her ultimate. 

Basically, this deck is pretty weak as-is. I'm surprised, actually. Their last couple intro decks weren't this bad.

Transcendent MTG, Lasraik and Rhino like this