Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dunnar

ESPN

6 posts in this topic

What if I told you that ESPN is dying?

E7zv0Gxs_400x400.jpeg

A long time ago, those of us that grew up with ESPN remember the sports highlights from SportsCenter with semi likable personalities that were unique.  It was a time when MTV played music, strong man competitions and exercise shows.

Fast forward to today, there are few highlights and more shouting matches, there are massive round tables of over paid people in suits saying a whole lot of nothing.  There are the bloopers, the crummy viral videos, "highlights" from sports that nobody cares about and social justice commentary being shoved down our throat.

Its kind of sad because it will never be what it was.

Why did this happen?  How could something so dominate, with no natural predators, in an industry that continues to thrive (NBA, NFL and MLB have never been more popular) have such a downfall?

1. NFL, NBA contracts

ESPN Pays Four Times the Going Rate to Air NFL Games - ESPN pays over $100 million per game.  And they are crappy games.

The New York Times reports the deal's value at $2.66 billion per year - deal started last year and was a significant increase over the previous year.

In both cases, ESPN over paid and bid against itself

2. To many overpaid Personalities

Mike Greenberg makes 6.5 million - Who else was going to pay him anything close to that?  Where else could he go to make that kind of money?

superbowl_toomany.jpg

So you are saying this doesn't work?

ESPN laid off 100 employees yesterday

3. Social Justice

ESPN guidelines on sports and politics - no other way to spin this, they are going more to the Left.  Gone are the people that did not tout the company line ... Trent Dilfer, Sage Steele, etc.  I'm sure that will work

How's ESPNW doing?  What about The Undefeated?

4.  Loud and louder

The simple garbage that they put on the air is astounding.  The morning shows, etc.I was in a Dr office with ESPN on.  It was Stephen A's show and I had to ask them to turn down the sound because they did nothing but scream at each other.

4.  Chasing the ghost

Millennials don't watch a lot of TV.  Quit chasing them.  Have you ever seen the crap they watch on YouTube?  Have you ever seen their snap chat lines?  Nothing of that speaks to quality or professionalism.  Quit chasing them and do what you do.

5.  Cable bills

Cable and satellite TV customers pay more than $9.00 per month for ESPN networks - probably tipped the scales for people to start cutting the cord.  Once people figured out there was a new way to go, off they went.

6. Give us what we want ... NFL, NBA, MLB, and headlines.

Quit showing soccer scores.  NOBODY cares about English Premier league.  NOBODY watches ESPN to get a score for an MLS game.

Quit showing WNBA scores.  NOBODY cares.  There are no highlights from a WNBA game ... ever ... period!  

Quit showing NCAA Womens basketball scores.  NOBODY cares.

Quit showing Fantasy Football scoring.  Every league has different rules.  Showing a point total is completely meaningless.

Maybe make a half hour show or something, but don't muck up your main shows with garbage nobody cares about.

Abaddon, Lasraik and JesGolbez like this

This happens all the time in business.  Companies forget who they wanted to be and lose themselves in diversification.  I have not watched SC since the days of Patrick/Mayne/Oberman.  It has become TMZ for sports.  It has become a platform for liberal agendas and PC rants.  We want sports to escape all that crap.  Serves them right.

Lasraik likes this

Let ESPN die.

Thankfully, up here in Canada, we have two quality sports carriers (TSN and Sportsnet). Although ESPN did buy/gulp up TSN and re-format them a bit, they are still quite solid in their programming and haven't sunk to ESPN levels. 

The few times I travel to the US and turn on ESPN, it's total crap.

SportsCenter - How about some show damn highlights in an order that makes sense? One minute, they show some NBA highlights, then they move around to some NFL, and then a story on something unrelated. There is no rhyme or reason... and, of course, they ignore the NHL. 

Yelling - Yes, constant yelling by idiots who know little about anything. Stephen A Smith, whoever the hell he is, is the epitome of this. I saw him for 1 minute and wanted to shoot the TV.

Subscription - They wanted to have a PREMIUM online subscription service for their website (Insider?). Who wants to pay for anything these days? Sorry, but online sub models just don't seem to work.

SPORTS! - Instead of being a SPORTS channel, ESPN, like MTV, became more about entertainment than actual sports. (as you mentioned)

SJW - Yes, Disney came into the picture and now the SJW/"Regressive" dogma seems to have filtered in, plus blandness. For all of the YELLING you might see on ESPN, it's all rather tame. 

"Chasing the Ghost" - I disagree that this demographic can't be had, but ESPN obviously doesn't respect them. 

Dunnar and Lasraik like this

Too many blowhards at ESPN.  Ex NFL players who tried to make it a second career and had to stand out by running their mouths and being provocative.  

People like Stephen A. Smith are a problem, screaming matches is what I expect to see on Fox News not ESPN.  Speaking of politics, keep it off of the sports news.

I haven't watched SportsCenter in 10+ years and I don't miss it.  It's an outdated formula.  I can get online and get the news and information I want in a couple of minutes.  Why sit through an hour of commercials and other sports I'm not interested in?  To make this work you need really good sports casters and they haven't had anyone remotely interesting since Olbermann/Patrick.

1 hour ago, JesGolbez said:

Let ESPN die.

Thankfully, up here in Canada, we have two quality sports carriers (TSN and Sportsnet). Although ESPN did buy/gulp up TSN and re-format them a bit, they are still quite solid in their programming and haven't sunk to ESPN levels. 

The few times I travel to the US and turn on ESPN, it's total crap.

SportsCenter - How about some show damn highlights in an order that makes sense? One minute, they show some NBA highlights, then they move around to some NFL, and then a story on something unrelated. There is no rhyme or reason... and, of course, they ignore the NHL. 

Yelling - Yes, constant yelling by idiots who know little about anything. Stephen A Smith, whoever the hell he is, is the epitome of this. I saw him for 1 minute and wanted to shoot the TV.

Subscription - They wanted to have a PREMIUM online subscription service for their website (Insider?). Who wants to pay for anything these days? Sorry, but online sub models just don't seem to work.

SPORTS! - Instead of being a SPORTS channel, ESPN, like MTV, became more about entertainment than actual sports. (as you mentioned)

SJW - Yes, Disney came into the picture and now the SJW/"Regressive" dogma seems to have filtered in, plus blandness. For all of the YELLING you might see on ESPN, it's all rather tame. 

"Chasing the Ghost" - I disagree that this demographic can't be had, but ESPN obviously doesn't respect them. 

Since they quit airing NHL, they completely ignored it.  Side note ... NHL needs to change their playoff seeding.  Caps v Pens is a conference finals matchup, not a 2nd rounder.

That's a good point ... that insider stuff on their website is complete garbage.  Frustrating to look at a headline, only to click and find its an insider article.

JesGolbez likes this

2 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Too many blowhards at ESPN.  Ex NFL players who tried to make it a second career and had to stand out by running their mouths and being provocative.  

People like Stephen A. Smith are a problem, screaming matches is what I expect to see on Fox News not ESPN.  Speaking of politics, keep it off of the sports news.

I haven't watched SportsCenter in 10+ years and I don't miss it.  It's an outdated formula.  I can get online and get the news and information I want in a couple of minutes.  Why sit through an hour of commercials and other sports I'm not interested in?  To make this work you need really good sports casters and they haven't had anyone remotely interesting since Olbermann/Patrick.

I'm glad the Canadian sports networks at least show highlights, and in a fairly sequential order. It's hit or miss with personalities, but I know if I turn on Sportscentre/Sports Central, it will show mainly highlights, and they go league by league. None of this hopping around nonsense. 

That said, I love watching highlights online. For MLB, I go right to the site and watch the video clips (and recaps) I want to see, when I want to see it. NHL.com is a disaster zone (seriously, they went backwards), so I often find watching the TV highlights works better. Still, if I just want to watch a specific highlight, I can do that, at the very least.

Lasraik likes this