Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jag

New Room for New Rig

28 posts in this topic

In order to provide a nice area for the family to do homework and game I am going to build a long counter/desk along one the 13' wall on one side.  It is going to be simple, No drawers or legs.  Basically a long shelf by way of design.

The question is:  What surface should I use?

Wood would be the aesthetic preference, but it is hard on the laptops because of its poor heat conduction.  I could get around this with thin metal plates.  We have some cookie sheets I have flattened.  I could go the counter-top route with a laminate.  This would be more durable, and less prone to damage from the little ones (this is why we can't have nice things).  I have never spent much time with a glass surface, but this is also an option.  Corian would also work, but I am not especially familiar with the material.

I finished my basement a few years ago and designated the back corner as my computer area.  I had very strict desk requirements, 3 PCs including laptop and 2 large towers, 4+ monitors, and the ability to move freely between them.

After looking at desks and soliciting others for advice, including here, I decided to put in a laminate countertop.  It has worked out better than I could have imagined. Added bonus, it was the cheapest option by far.

I have a few holes for cord management and covers like this:

http://www.homedecorhardware.com/hf-631-26-301.html

Also use monitor stands for extra space:

https://www.amazon.com/Halter-LZ-309-Vented-Metal-Monitor/dp/B01G5ZJIRY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493331864

I have 2 office chairs with wheels so I can move around. 

Can you have your wife clean the area up so she is not embarrassed when you post up a picture of it?

I was going to go 30" deep on the desktop.  Is that enough?

Edited by Jag

I love all the original art pieces.  It's a risky choice, but the room pulls it off.

I see you used brackets, is there a weight issue?  Could one of your kids stand on it?  What is with the molded edging?

Wolf, what kind of countertop is that?  I

The molding is just part of the counter top.  I got it on clearance at home depot.  Its worked out well.  It has held up nicely to the general wear and tear.  It doesn't have any noticeable stains, scratches, or chips.  Its not the prettiest, but its turned out to be very functional.

There is a gap behind the molding.  I fastened wood to the wall and it sits on top of it.  The ends are braced with 250lb rated brackets.  I didn't build it to stand on, but it could support the kids if it had to.  If I was worried about weight, or wanted to stand on it, I could have added more brackets in the center.  My main concern there is leg room.

Glad you like the art work.  My kids stuff has accumulated over the years.  Got that unicorn paper mache thing sitting on my desk that I am going to hang this weekend.20170428_115333.thumb.jpg.c4fb589cabe7eea689bee10fee13b78f.jpg

Edited by Dunnar

Why did you use 2 difference pieces of wood for the support?  One piece screwed into the studs gets the job done without the gap.

The molding sits on the thinner piece, which is screwed into the wall.

The desk is screwed into the square wood from below.  That secures the desk to wood, which is secured to the wall.

A real craftsman would probably have better way of doing it.

I did some ergonomic calculations and for 6' tall they are telling me 27" high which feels WAY too low.  I will go with 30" H.  I am also considering a 32" depth to allow for more distance with a 40-50" monitor.    Not sure about that yet though.

I imagine it will look a lot like Wolphards except longer and deeper.

Writing that inspires inspires me to perhaps upgrade the quality as well.  Then I can add harder to the list of ways it is different.

Edited by Jag

I've been gaming so long in a recline position, that I have trouble playing without an ottoman below the desk on which to prop my feet.  This justifies a wider desk top so you have plenty of extra leg room (to stretch forward) while your keyboard is still at hand.  It may not be the most ergonomic, but it is damn comfortable.  After all, I play games to relax.

And for the record, my desk top is 30" above the floor ... or roughly equivalent to the tops of the arms on the chair.

If I had the bucks to blow, I'd get me one of those fancy Emperor Workstation Units.

Edited by Elovia

23 hours ago, Jag said:

It has molding on both sides?

Not sure what you mean. 

Here is a pic from underneath. There was a gap where the molding was. I filled it with the 1x6. The 2x2 is fascened to the 1x6 and the counter from underneath. Hope that helps.20170429_122122.thumb.jpg.9121ca5f2648dc8eb0f4decd039b9fae.jpg

20 hours ago, Wolphard said:

You want yours to be longer, thicker, and harder than mine. :huh:

Don't make it weird.

No homo.

Edited by Jag
Lasraik likes this

22 hours ago, Dunnar said:

Not sure what you mean. 

Here is a pic from underneath. There was a gap where the molding was. I filled it with the 1x6. The 2x2 is fascened to the 1x6 and the counter from underneath. Hope that helps.

I see now.  I thought the back was flush, so what you did made no sense.  I see now.

Thanks everyone.  I just have to make it into the big city to grab the desktop at this point.

2 folding tables along the wall.  It does not look great, but it works well.  The wife did not want anything permanent.  :(

I have some table mats at least.  I also have a nice chair, that I hate, but I am stuck with for the time being.  I got a racing chair that I also hated and gave to the kids.  No more buying chairs online for me.

Just messin.  I spent my daoc days playing on a modified desk with 2 make shift try tables.  so i understand the wife putting the hammer down.

It is still on the radar.  We have this massive rolltop desk I don't use anymore because the monitor space is too small, I need to get rid of that first.

On 11/9/2017 at 7:52 AM, Jag said:

I have some table mats at least.  I also have a nice chair, that I hate, but I am stuck with for the time being.  I got a racing chair that I also hated and gave to the kids.  No more buying chairs online for me.

I know this is an older post, but I just wanted to share that I just got a new office chair; it's a Serta Smart Layers Hensley. It is absolutely the most comfortable office chair I've ever sat in.  Would highly recommend.  Partial pic in the Dead Hardware thread.  The seat bottom is built like a mattress (the mfg name might give that away) and there is plenty of cushioning all around.  And it's made to survive us fatties sitting it in all day (rated up to 400lb, 8+ hrs comfort ).  Mine is chestnut brown to go with decor, but it also comes in black/grey.

Edited by Elovia
Jag likes this