Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark_LifeBeginsAt20

Inside the Cube: Archetypes in MTG Cube

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, today saw the release of my first episode of a new series Inside the Cube. My aim for this is to have an informative series that goes above basic cube building to discuss archetypes for cubes and how to support them. In this first episode we talk about what a cube archetype is and the pros and cons for having them in your cube, plus the solution for cube builders.

If there is any archetype you'd like to see a video on, do let me know. Hope you enjoy!

Lasraik, MTGZuby, Manticore and 2 others like this

NIce outlining of the basics,though I was a bit surprised when you said Reanimator as the archetype LotV could be thought of as an anchor for. I guess I'd just got too used to the idea of her discard ability as a way of disrupting your opponent(s) that also happened to affect you as well, rather than as a way of actively stocking your own graveyard. Now that this video made me think about it, she would be a very useful card to have in a reanimator deck

11 hours ago, rainman said:

NIce outlining of the basics,though I was a bit surprised when you said Reanimator as the archetype LotV could be thought of as an anchor for. I guess I'd just got too used to the idea of her discard ability as a way of disrupting your opponent(s) that also happened to affect you as well, rather than as a way of actively stocking your own graveyard. Now that this video made me think about it, she would be a very useful card to have in a reanimator deck

You may find similar things during the course of this series - LotV is an amazing card in cube's as she's an anchor for a few archetypes and can definitely support others too. That can be the same with a lot of cards in cube and that is the reason why they are there. By having these anchor cards and other cards that overlap (cross-pollinate) you won't need to add many specific support cards for an archetype to make it really supported in your cube. Plenty more I need to learn and put into practice for my own one, but I'm sure this concept will help fellow players and builders not only decide what to put in, but cards they'd need to pick to build that deck in a draft.

Manticore and Lasraik like this

I absolutely love this series.  Learning so much about not only Cube but the game in general.  Packed full of information.  I find myself taking notes when I watch these.

21 hours ago, Lasraik said:

I absolutely love this series.  Learning so much about not only Cube but the game in general.  Packed full of information.  I find myself taking notes when I watch these.

Glad you're finding them useful - really appreciate the feedback!

Lasraik likes this