8 posts in this topic

Hello fellow Planeswalkers!

Today I have drafted a W/R Aggro-ish deck that I'd like to share with you all :)

Updates shall be provided on the 3 rounds of MTGO Intermediate Swiss Draft as I go along.

Following is the decklist, let me know what you think :D

Creatures: 

1x Fan Bearer
1x Bloodlust inciter
3x Gust Walker
1x Trueheart Duelist
1x Bloodrage Brawler
1x Devoted Crop-Mate
1x Minotaur Sureshot
1x Hyena Pack
1x Heart-Piercer Manticore
1x Supply Caravan
2x Manticore of the Gauntlet
1x Seraph of the suns

Spells:

1x Consuming Fervor
2x Brute Strength
2x Fling
1x Renewed Faith
2x Hazoret's Monument
1x Violent Impact

Land:

9x Mountain
7x Plains

Lasraik likes this

To update, I did not do so well in rounds one or two, but did manage to win round 3 2-1 after a beautiful interaction involving Heart Piercer-Manticore essentially flinging Manticore of the Gauntlet at the opponents face. Good thing he didn't pay attention to my graveyard or he might have saw me embalming it coming!

1 hour ago, Lasraik said:

Haven't touched my box of Amonkhet yet, but I'm curious to see what @AlbyMTG thinks.  He's my go-to for all things Limited.

Keep us posted on how the rounds go!

I appreciate that.  In all honesty though, Amonkhet has not been going as well for me as most sets do.  I'll see what I can to do to help though.

3 minutes ago, GenericBadMagic said:

It's only 3 rounds per entry in Draft League online so that was it, but at least it was more cards for the collection. I was certainly missing removal in my opinion, too easy to overlook it when drafting red due to fling. 

My note is "must do better".

So, the biggest problem that I can see with your deck was that the plan was off.  You even said it yourself, the deck was "Aggro-ish."  You were running a lot of cards that supported the aggro plan, but then also some cards that supported a long game plan.  This may seem like it is good because you are playing well in the early game and in the late game, but it is actually a trap that many players fall into.  You either want to go super hard on an aggressive plan or super hard on the midrange/late game plan.  If you want to go super aggro, you should cut the cards like Seraph, Caravan, and the 2 Monuments.  If you want to go midrange, you should cut cards like Bloodlust Inciter, Consuming Fervor, and 1 of the Brute Strengths.  On a side note, I think the only playable monuments are the Oketra and Rhonas ones.  

I'd be interested in knowing what other cards you drafted in these colors/colorless or if there was anything potentially splashable that you may have drafted.

16 minutes ago, AlbyMTG said:

So, the biggest problem that I can see with your deck was that the plan was off.  You even said it yourself, the deck was "Aggro-ish."  You were running a lot of cards that supported the aggro plan, but then also some cards that supported a long game plan.  This may seem like it is good because you are playing well in the early game and in the late game, but it is actually a trap that many players fall into.  You either want to go super hard on an aggressive plan or super hard on the midrange/late game plan.  If you want to go super aggro, you should cut the cards like Seraph, Caravan, and the 2 Monuments.  If you want to go midrange, you should cut cards like Bloodlust Inciter, Consuming Fervor, and 1 of the Brute Strengths.  On a side note, I think the only playable monuments are the Oketra and Rhonas ones.  

I'd be interested in knowing what other cards you drafted in these colors/colorless or if there was anything potentially splashable that you may have drafted.

You're spot on @AlbyMTG I wasn't quick enough to finish the game off and similarly didn't have enough to stabilise late game. The Hazoret's Monument I picked simply because it was on colour but I agree, the Rhonas one is the best.

As for the other cards cards I can't remember. But the initial plan was black or green/red and it didn't help when I was muscled into white due to b/g being pretty barren.

We live, we learn and we generally get better!

AlbyMTG and Lasraik like this