Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

Mount and Blade: Warband

146 posts in this topic

... for Jag.

Hi.  My name is Elovia and I play Warband.

Hi Elovia

I'm not a vanilla Warband player, oh no ... I've gone far beyond with Mods and can't stomach the thought of playing a vanilla campaign ever again (it is fun, so you should try it if you haven't).

I tried the popular Prophet of Pendor ... or Prophesy of Pendor ... or whatever it's called ... I don't care.  It sucked.  I couldn't get into it.  It was too plain.  People say it's hard, but so is crossing a busy street when you're blind.  POP is too close to vanilla with respect to UI and game mechanic elements.  Sure, it has a fancy fantasy setting, but game mechanics leave a lot to be desired especially after playing Mods like Floris or A New Dawn.

I will admit that neither Floris nor A New Dawn are perfect; in fact, they contain bugs that can ruin your game experience and those bugs are not going to get fixed any time soon.  No, they're the product of cramming too many sub-mods into a single mod, and exceeding the base game's limitations regarding number of factions (among other things).  Some bugs are annoying but livable, others can cause save file corruption and you'll have to start over.  That's fine with me, for the most part.  The most exciting part of the game is when you're building up your first (viable) warband.

I briefly flirted with Perisno ... but then when I encountered a bug (pretty serious one in my opinion) and politely brought it to the attention of the developers (who are still actively working on the mod), I was told that my problem was with one of the sub-mods they had included in their mod and I should take it up with that sub-mod's developers.  WTF??!!?!?  It's in YOUR frikkin' mod.  YOU chose to include it and it is somehow MY problem?  Needless to say, I'm not impressed so I stopped playing that mod.

Maybe I'll try POP again ... sometime.  I'll just miss some of the wonderful UI enhancements otherwise missing in POP.

Lasraik likes this

PoP is missing important things like pre-battle orders, the UI has been updated, but it does not have floris like options.  I like all the minor factions and fun items big armies, but it is by no means the only or best mod out there.  That is part of the fun.  Fantasy Caldera, Warsword (Dwarf Gatling Guns!), A New Dawn, Brytenwalda, The Last Days, and many others are on my list.  I typically edit the troop files and buff the companions up a bit and or rename them.

So when this playthrough of Pendor fizzles out, what mod should I look into next?

I'm currently stuck on A New Dawn.  It has quirks but is pretty fun because it has piles and piles of extras.  There are many minor factions who can take over towns.  In my current game, I joined one of the minor factions (the Gerioans) and have been leading them toward taking over the map.  We're strongly aligned with the Khergit and Kholkar (sp?), and we've chased all original major factions off the map.  I personally hold all of the original Rhodok and Saranid towns.

The number of factions is above the base game's limit, so some corruption occasionally occurs, and several UI elements get broken.  One of the things I don't care for is the game artificially boosts HP in tactical battles, but also increases damage because many of the upper tier troops have ungodly stats.  Armor is important ... the more the better, but comes at the cost of mobility and reduces some skills.  Elite troops are very expensive to maintain, so you have to balance your warband with a mix of elite and regular troops.

Economically, you can purchase enterprises in each town but also buy/sell land for additional rent income.

My current warband consists of ~40-50 Juggernauts (elite 2h blunt cavalry), ~40-60 Geroian Generals (elite s/s+lance cavalry), ~30 Celestial Masters (elite archers), and the rest (~200-250) are regular Geroian Crossbowmen.  The Generals and Celestial Masters are great for sieges, whereas the Juggernauts excel at open field and prisoner capture.  I've got my Engineering skill pumped pretty high, of course, which makes building siege ladders and towers a speedy affair.   The downside is that my warband costs me ~200k per week, so I spend a lot of time roaming from town to town collecting rents.

Unfortunately, the sole developer of AND appears to be AFK and he hasn't released the source code so others can fix the bugs.

What I saw in Perisno was good ... it is a full conversion mod like POP and meant for experienced players (it starts tough) ... but I won't play it again until the devs fix the bugs and concede the fact that they're responsible for everything they put in their mod.  Silverstag looks interesting, but it is currently a bit too raw for me; I'd rather play something a little more complete.

I'm kind of looking for the next mod to play, myself.  I tried the Viking Conquest (official), and that didn't go well so it sits gathering dust.  I think a lot of mod makers are waiting on Bannerlord rather than polish their Warband kits.

That is the tough part about mods sometimes, while very cool they are not always polished.  Warsword is pretty fun because of all the big monsters to fight.

In PoP I like that there is an unused Pendor Faction.  The story is that you are the lost heir or some such, so I edit all the Pendor troops to look like I want and fill the roles I want then play the game as a mercenary and avoid getting bogged down in defending my own stuff.  I rescue farmers and raise them up all the way through 8 tiers or so into the true knights of pendor.  Eventually I will take a keep and start the kindgom management part.  Meanwhile I am fighting off the invading faction armies.

Warsword is pretty fun.  I loaded up a few of the top mods out there.  Anno 1257 looked great until I could not get my troops to follow commands.  All the different races in Warsword freshens it up quite a bit.

I am going to give silverstag a run as well.  It is supposed to have a lot of enhancements like floris, but different in a better way.

I was following Silverstag closely for a while, but haven't checked in on it in the last few months.  At the time, they were worried about releasing new game breaking versions while fixing bugs, and overlooking game breaking balance (they'll get to balance soon™).  On the plus side, the lead and much of the Floris team are developing Silverstag ... hence Floris being offered as-is (note: Floris open source code is available for any other modders willing to pick up and carry on).

A lot of mod compilations use the same sub-mods, and those sub-mods can still have bugs that affect overall gameplay.  Pre-battle orders is somewhat buggy, or was.

I haven't played the standalone Diplomacy, but there are several elements of an older version of that sub-mod in A New Dawn that I really like ... for example, the ability to trade fiefs, and kingdom management.

I haven't tried Warsword yet.  Also still avoiding the Napoleonic era mods based on Fire and Sword.

Where are you getting your mods?  Nexus?  ModDB?  I occasionally stop by the Taleworlds mod forum to check out various offers.

Sounds like you're in a Warband mood lately.  I'm busy having fun with a few side diversions (see other game threads), but will get back into Warband again sometime; I tend to play it off and on a month or two at a time ... currently on an off cycle.

Certainly in the mood.  Perisino.  They just had a new update, and although I am only 2 hours or so into it I am very impressed.  It looks amazing, feels amazing.  It is THE mod right now.  It is also still in active development with a very responsive dev team.  I have not encountered any bugs yet, it feels very smooth.  I am a happy camper and I am very much looking forward to my adventure in Perisino.

I search for the mods on nexus via their top list then download from there or moddb anfter doing some research on taleworlds and reddit.

The kid and I set up next to each other and start our own new games.  It has been a fun experience talking about the game and showing each other awesome loot and such.  He seems to derive some great joy out of seeing me captured...

Reviving this thread since I'm starting to dip my toes back in the Warband waters.  How was Perisno?  Any other good mods to check out?

Perisno is still one of the best.  PoP is still fun, but only because of the side quests and such.  The last days one for LOTRO was fun, but the mechanics are weird.  Never got into the Japan one. The top 25 on nexus mods, tells you everything you need to know. http://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/mods/top/?

Just find the one that fits your mood.  Its rare I finish a game, once you take a keep, and keep it defended the game loses challenge quickly.

I played the latest release patched version of Perisno most of yesterday, started 3 diffderent characters until I found one I liked (and didn't get screwed over by really poor AI choices - more on that later). The game would crash randomly so I'd pick back up at the last autosave point - inconvenient to say the least. There are still plenty of bugs for the devs to work out.

I joined up with Queen Arwen with all 3 characters ... and I've come to the conclusion she's quite possibly the stupidest ruler I've yet to encounter. She will attack an army that is equal in size as hers (or slightly larger), but her troops are all archers and they cannot stand up against cavalry. She subscribes to the Zapp Brannigan school of military tactics (overwhelm them with the dead of your own troops). Even when losing, she will continue attacking to the last man (which is often me).

I'm soon to leave her army and strike out on my own with my own band of merry men (figuratively, not literally). I've advanced as far as I could in her army and almost have a complete set of high quality gear ... I just need a new helm and chest armor.  I'll also be on the lookout for a decent 2-hand blunt (i.e., a bloodletter hammer or similar that has good damage, speed, and reach).

Yes, the elves are arrogant and stupid.  There is a secret quest to destroy them to get a bunch of cool archers.  I think there is a hidden chest in one of the remade towns that contains a very nice 2 hand blunt.

Not sure how to do spoilers.  I will just say FH.  You can figure it out from there..or just google it.

Edited by Jag

Not yet. I haven't had time to play since this past weekend. Weekdays are a challenge. I did give the Perisno wiki a quick read, but didn't see mention of secret quests.  I also noticed Steam users complaining about the mod frequently crashing ... yeah, Steam users complain about any and everything, but since my experiences correspond with the complaints, I'll tend to agree (this time) that there may in fact be a problem. :) 

It is in the town Fountain Hall.  I always accept a crash now and again as part of modding.

My the kid and I have been playing Torchlight 2 recently.  That is a lot of fun as well with mods.

Played for an hour or so tonight ...

When the arms merchant in the Queen's main town (I'm horrible with place names) refreshed his merchandise, he had a bloodletter warhammer for sale relatively cheap (7400 is cheap?) ... so I picked that up ... 52b, 90-something speed, 100+ reach (which is good for using while mounted).  I also laid out a little cash for a royal enchantment (? non-physical helm with skill bonuses) and a set of silver plate armor ... neither the helm nor armor were quite as good as what I had to give up when I left the Queen's service, but they'll suffice until I can money back up for better.  I could have deserted the Queen and kept her gear, but that isn't my style (RolePlay of course).

I'm playing with fog of war on, and I didn't know where that city you mentioned was (Falcon Hall, or Fountain Hall?) but I eventually found it as it was south of the Queen's territory and that is the direction I took to head out and discover new lands.  I didn't find the chest you mentioned, but it isn't pressing since I have good weapons now.

Along the way, I picked up a couple companions.  I've also been hunting small (<20) bandit parties and slaughtering them by myself (well ... knocking them unconscious with my hammer to take them as slav... errr ... to redistribute human resource investment potential ... but wrecking major damage none-the-less).  The hammer does a fine job in conjunction with my very fast steed; the combination of high damage and high speed really multiplies up for one-shot knock outs on everything I've encountered (including some high level Hakkon deserters).  It's like playing polo with bandit heads ... whoops, there's another 165 pt hit ... splat.  At character creation, I chose to inherit my poor old dad's armor and mount ... which yielded a set of decent upper-mid quality plate armor and a spirited painted young black wolf ... which has something insane like 57 speed (and more skill bonuses).  The armor is long sold by now, but the ride is fantastic.

Lasraik likes this

That mod has so many fun mounts.  The creation piece is excellent for the role players.  I think the hammer is to the right of the area when you walk in..behind some barrels.

I finally found the hammer.  I happened to have logged out while still in Fountain Hall so I took a peek at the crates in your suggested direction.  It is questionable whether the hammer is better than the one I already have; the raw damage is slightly higher (56b swing, 10b thrust vs 52b swing - I don't find myself thrust attacking much if at all), the weight is less (6.0 vs 8.0) and that would be good if I were worried about encumbrance, same speed, but the reach is shorter (116 vs. 120) which makes drive-by attacks a little more difficult.  There's nothing quite like clotheslining an enemy cavalry with a precisely timed horizontal swing as they pass to the side of you going the opposite direction. Total lollerskates when it happens.

I will agree ... that is one of the nicer hammers that I've seen in the game.  I wonder if it is unique or if it could be purchased having higher quality improvements (i.e., masterwork).  My bloodflow warhammer is a generic off-the-shelf item (I previously picked one up after a combat somewhere along the way but soon sold it for much needed cash not fully appreciating the worth of the item in hand), and I'm hoping to find another one with a higher quality improvement.

It is certainly not anywhere close to being a great weapon, but its free, and easy to acquire at the start without disrupting balance.

Had a chance to play a bit today and ... I guess I broke the game.  The game crashed partway through a quest and now I suspect my save is corrupt because the game will crash again just as soon as I try to load it (i.e., consistent and repeatable behavior).  That kind of sucks because I was on a roll and was finally in good financial and military  position.  I had a 220+ size warband of very diverse troops consisting mostly of heavy cavalry and archers.  Their wages were somewhere to the tune of 12k/wk but I had enough industries established throughout most of the cities where I had net income of over 30k/wk (i.e., after paying wages).  I happened to luck into obtaining a couple legendary weapons ... Flamebringer and Skyfall ... and more importantly, I was dressed to the nines because, you know, it is really important for a leader to look good in front of his troops.

I had hired several companions, too.  But you really have to watch them closely, because I set them to allow them to upgrade their armor out of loot, and some of the guys turned out to be cross-dressers.  Not that there's anything wrong with it ...

While fun, I may need to set Perisno aside again until the devs work out more of the bugs.  On the Taleworlds forums, even they don't recommend playing the current version (which they've stopped supporting) and suggest waiting for the next (whenever that will be).