Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

Mount and Blade: Warband

146 posts in this topic

The Falcon town is stupidly easy to defend with archers. It is much more difficult to take, but I did once with the Hakkon. You have to get the siege tower across the bridge and in place, then use fairly high powered melee units to take the walls.

Elsinor, in elf territory, was a ladder siege, and it was easier to take than defend. Point being that you should carefully consider the force required to take and hold a place. In general, I think the Hakkon are fairly easy unless they're in large numbers ... especially easy for Falcon in open field situations (as per lore). Kaikoth seem easy, too, at least in field combat ... I haven't been in a siege against them yet. Likewise I haven't been involved in sieges with any realms other than the elves and the greek/romans.

The Kaikoth have some serious x-bows, falcon and the elves are more difficult, but not by much. 

My kid really wanted to play the new PoP.  So I downloaded the new one and dove into the troop trees.  The Pendor line is already set up with the 6 types of top level troops.  I made very few adjustments.  I gave one of the infantry and calvary lines blunt weapons, kept the lancers and bladesmen (for later on when I need more killing power).  I got rid of the mounted archers, and put in x-bows.  Pendor is already set up so farmers can become your Pendor Recruits.  The battle AI is, I think, better than Perisno.  The enemy uses formations, x-bow men duck down to reload.  It is quite challenging, it is very dangerous to get involved in combat.  The adaptive battlefield sizes make for some massive combat.  For whatever reason, I can't put my finger on it, PoP feels more immersive. 

After a couple weeks away from the game (from being out of town, mostly), I'm giving it yet another semi-restart with a few more tweaks.  I added the Hired Merc troop line to the Perisno troop tree, branching at the second or third in from Farmers ... so it goes Farmers -> Perisno Recruit -> branch off to Hired Recruit tree or continue to the rest of the Perisno tree.  I gave myself all the gear I had prior to starting anew (minus quality improvements), and gave myself ~2m cash to re-establish industries and land-holdings.  The world was reset yet again ...

This time, the Falcons were not involved in a multi-sided campaign right at the start as was in many other game starts.  In fact, they seem to just party it up in the town castle and everyone else leaves them alone.  My previous two starts had them fighting the Hakkon and the Elintor at the same time, both times.  In this game, it seems like everyone wants a piece of the Tolranians instead, and the Drahara are set on invading the Kaikoth.  I don't pay much attention to the northern politics ... :)

I've finally found most of my companions, and have sent them out on Right-to-Rule missions.  I've also got all my industries and most of my land holdings back  - some towns don't yet have sufficient population to support previous land holdings.

I added the Hired Merc troop tree to the Perisno line, as previously suggested.  Using the Farmers to augment my Hired Mercs was very useful.  While rescuing Farmers for future hired mercs, I also made a point to rescue Refugees, which turn into some nice female blunt cavalry with training (i.e., the Perisno Nun line that tops out with Perisno Priestesses, who I think give bonuses to party healing skills).  I also spent some time herding and beating up on peasant revolt squads in Falcon territory, which netted me quite a number of Aepele Fealcans ... and I'm turning them into Renweards as quickly as I can; I've got enough in the pipeline to make ~70, but they're mostly Light Renweards at the moment.  I also have ~50 fully decked out Hired Mounted Knights in the training pipeline, and ~30 Master Archers, too.  At one point I was so awash with Aepele Fealcans that I started training up Falcon mounted archer units - Sceotend Fealcans, and Frod Sceotend Fealcans - and I should have another ~25 of those.  I'll use these to augment my slower moving foot archers.  In all, I've got ~180-185 units in my warband (juggling companions out to missions to make room for fighting units).  And as I'm able to increase my warband size (with increased renown or castle/town holdings), I'll start working to increase the number of top tier infantry units.

I ran across King Rafklazan and his warband of foreigners over in Draharan territory.  With a little "help" from one of the Draharan lords, we defeated him and I obtained his legendary sword, Nisaynian's Legacy.  Yup, added that to my collection.  Awesome fight which netted me several tiger mounts (white and orange).  Unfortunately, the tiger mounts have a strange hind-leg animation defect when you ride one in combat.

I haven't seen Marshal Ialoch the Fiend again yet, but when I do, I'll try to get his sword (again) too.

I got to the point where, as a neutral, I had little else to do except ride from town to town collecting rents.  I did a few bounty quests to pump honor, but I was starting to get a little bored.  So just before quitting for the day, I joined up with the Falcons as a vassal.  I plan to instigate a bit and get them involved in a war or two, since they haven't yet ... perhaps my in-game personality would be "calculating" or "debauched". :)  I need more renown and right-to-rule before starting my own kingdom.  It doesn't help that I'm playing a female character with full prejudice option set.  Field Marshal Gunnar was very reluctant to give me one of his holdings as a new vassal, but wasn't too reluctant to take one from one of his other Lords and then give it to me. ;) ... With a little diplomatic trading, I was able to swap fiefs from a castle linked village to one linked to the town.  The Zann Invasion is just around the corner timewise, too, so that will present itself with some welcome chaotic possibilities.  *in Montgomery Burns voice*  Excellent ...

Edited by Elovia
Jag likes this

This past weekend was just a Perisno blast.  Note: I don't get much time during the week to play, so I tend to binge a bit on weekends.

Where to start?  Oh yeah, when we last left off, I was about to cause mayhem and destruction.  Turns out, I'm a bigger fan of order and homeostasis.  Yes, as promised I instigated conflict with the Kaikoth.  That wasn't good enough, so I convinced our realm marshal to attack Hornogoth Keep, a dwarf castle, which he did but also almost lost ... so I stepped in to save the day.  Since I only had a village and every other realm lord had castles and villages, I lobbied to be given the keep.  But nope ... I'm a girl and therefore I should be happy with my little village which is more compensation than I deserve (or so all the other lords told me).  So the back and forth with the dwarves was on ... Those poor bastards; everyone wanted a chunk of their real estate.  The Drahara attacked them, the Hakkon attacked them, the Falcons (thanks to me) attacked them.  And then the Hakkon and the Drahara started fighting over dwarf territory they had taken.  Then dumbass (our realm marshal, Eorl Padraigh - martial personality) gets fixated on acquiring the dwarf town of Dwallnor (all the way across on the other side of dwarf lands) and mounts several flamboyantly unsuccessful campaigns to do just that (as of this writing, it still hasn't been accomplished).  This results in the other Eorls either continually rebuilding their forces, or they're away from their lands leaving them open for assault from elsewhere.  Either way, it rendered them useless for my purposes.

So the Elintor decide they want a piece of Falcon forest for themselves (I didn't do it this time, honest).  So I guess it is women's work to stay home and make sure it is a safe, nurturing environment.  So that's what I did.  I kept the realm safe, repelled several massive elven incursions, and nurtured a lot of hatred my way by kicking elf ass over and again.  Interesting thing about that.  If you best and capture an upstanding or good-natured lord and then let them go, they respect you even more and you get honor.  If you do the same with a bad-natured lord, they hate you for it ... so it is best to just capture and keep those.  Because I didn't have a castle or town with a prison at my disposal, I had to carry the captured lords with me everywhere we went.

And then the Zann stopped by for a visit.  By that time, I had solo taken Ianthas Castle from the elves (and the Falcon liege begrudgingly awarded it to me - which I then used my personality and charm to convince Eorl Dracarion to swap Falconwatch for Ianthas Castle).  All this time I'd had amazing success with blunt melee cavalry (i.e., Renweards, Light Renweards, Hired Mounted Knights, Hired Riders, and a mix of misc. other blunt cavalry) that I had almost 3m in the bank.  Even with war on two fronts, I was still bringing in net profits on industries - not including rents which put my finances well into the black.  So now I could develop a fleet of Household Guards.  I spent big on them, too.  I started out with around a hundred (at 10k a pop), but then soon pumped their numbers up even higher, closer to two hundred because they're better at field combat than my Hired Mounted Knights and Renweards, and were less expensive unit cost (not counting up front costs which they easily made up in prisoner capture and sales).  I found some broken, worn out top tier armor and weapons for the guards - purchased on the cheap - which they promptly repaired to full strength.

So ... I'm slaughtering elf war parties left and right with my rolling thunder of Household Guard blunt melee cavalry when the Zann stop by.  Oh yeah, shit just now got serious.  A mix of Zann generals' advanced wave spearhead parties attacked the Falcon town of Fountain Hall (est. 3500+ attacking units vs 1000 or so defenders), but also smaller groups of parties (and when I say smaller, it's relative - 1500-2000 unit attack force is by no means "small").  Knowing the town garrison could hold them off for a little bit of time, I focused on defending my castle Falconwatch.  To wit, I quickly swapped my Household Guard's equipment to include Darkforest Ranger Bows and Darkwood Arrows (btw ... these are extremely effective and lethal in the hands of a couple hundred guards).

The defense of Falconwatch turned out to be a long distance shooting match, to which the Zann were simply outgunned.  While on paper it was a ladder siege, the Zann made the mistake of hanging back, and they never really approached the ladders.  So, once defended, I moved on to the defense of the main town.  Fountain Hall was stupid easy to defend, again because of the high number of high skill and high damage units that I brought to the fight.  The siege tower didn't even make it half-way to the walls before the Zann forces, to the man, were eliminated.  Next, I ran to defend the realm's other castles.  Falcon's Pride was not under attack, thankfully.  Neither was Falconclaw but it did have a number of 200-300 unit warbands milling about.  Next, Falconhead was under attack, so I brought my full force to bear in it's defense; this one was much trickier to defend.  Falconhead is also a ladder siege, and the ladders turned into a meat grinder for the Zann: the layout has the ladder wall flanked by tower parapets ... a hardy group of melee warriors kept the tops of the ladders clear, while a host of archers rained death down the length of the ladders.  The defense was both exciting and beautiful in it's own way ... because we (the defenders) were always on the cusp of getting overrun, but the fountain of dead bodies cascading down and to the sides of the ladder was ... breathtaking.  Right ... so we incurred limited defender losses due to abuse of 'U' and 'O' spam (i.e., area heal war cry, and "hey buddy, got any extra arrows you can spare?") ... and on to the final stop, Falconwaters.

The defense of Falconwaters was incredibly easy compared to the previous defense of Falconhead.  Falconwaters layout has the attackers run through a gauntlet of archer fire to reach a ladder overlooked by two much bigger towers with bigger parapets that hold far greater numbers of defending archers.  Needless to say, they defenders barely got to the ladders, let alone half-way up the ladder before adding onto the pile of dead bodies below the ladders.  Whew ... all of that done (quick save you idiot - what? You didn't save before the crash and now you get to do it all again? Yes, it'll be fun!)

Then it was a matter of mop up of roaming Zann parties in the Falcon territory.  All the while, none of the Falcon lords are around to help.  I asked one of the Lord's wives WTF is your husband (I swear that needs to be a dialog option), and he was fighting over in elf territory.  Another wife disclosed her husband was raiding over in dwarf lands.  A third wife said she didn't know where her husband was.  DAMNNNNN ...

One of the Zann generals (Chingus?  Wu?) decided he and about a 1000 of his buddies would come raid my little village of Moutain Springs (note: that's not a typo).  So I played the "which do you want more?" card, and tantalized him by getting close enough that he would break away from raiding my village to chase me, only to turn back to the village once he determined I was out of reach.  Eventually I lured him away from my village and, as happenstance, into the path of the Field Marshal Gunnar (the poor bastard, who had just announced a feast and was returning from crusades in far off lands with a mere fraction of his regular entourage).  That was enough distraction for me to jump in and help defend our liege ... outnumbered six to one.  We lost a few good men, but the general lost more ... many, many more.

All told, the Falcons territory survived the Zann invasion relatively unscathed, and I was able to stock my garrison with a mix of Falcon noble-type troops rescued from Zann raiding parties.  Other realms didn't fare as well.  The elves lost almost all except for Elsinore and Serin Castle.  Half of Tolranian territory was also Zann-colored (btw, I changed the color of Zann to light pink, rather than black, to make them more visible - turns out it was a suitable color choice since I sent them on their way crying like little girls).  Maccavia and the Reich were similarly destructed.  All of Valahir was taken.  The Hakkon lost Dailin castle.

... and then some of the less wholesome elvish lords decided to come raid Falcon villages.  Right ... mere child's play ... yeah, they're now spending time in my castle prison (oh, did I forget to mention that I built one at Falconwatch?)  /evil grin  Oh, and sometime during all of that, the Kaikoth and Falcons declared a truce.  Fair enough, we had plenty to keep me busy; I really have no idea WTF the other lords were doing because I almost never saw them - I think they were trying to take Forniorn or something.  But right before I left for the day, the Kaikoth declared war on us again. /sigh  Now the Falcons are at war with the dwarves, the elves, and the Zann.  My industries are hurting ... and I lose over 40k per week (mostly due to garrison and troop costs) which, thankfully is made up by land rent from the towns that I can still visit and the assorted prisoners (and their slightly used gear) that I sell.  I've capped my persuasion, prisoner management, and leadership skills ... my warband size is around 230-240, and I can haul in over 350 prisoners at a time (net between 50k to 100k+ depending on unit values).  I lucked across a Zann party that somehow had devoured Grand Paladin Siegfried's group (at substantial losses I suspect) but was still around 650 units after incorporating their own rescued prisoners and had still had over 1000 prisoners.  Even though some of the fighting units were really tough Bahkal giants, I lost a lot of good men, but I survived to rescue a handful of paladins (lvl 80+) and templars (graduate to make paladins) to join my humble little, rag-tag, rolling thunder, road trip gang.  (the trade was worth it, yes sir!)

I now have like 30-40 relations with some of my fiercest opponents.  And even a couple of the Falcon Eorls begrudgingly respect me enough to offer their daughters available for visitation.  (what? lesbian action?)

-----

Meta:  I discovered I needed to micro-manage my Household Guards quite a bit more than other units.  I had to give them only one weapon - either melee or ranged - because they suck at deciding which to use and when.  I incurred significant losses when I left it up to them to decide when to be ranged cavalry and when to be melee.  So now I give them bows only during sieges.  I also had to put them in their own group during sieges so I could call for them to join the archers up front or to place them as heavy infantry at the top of ladders if needed; in the field I lump them in with the cavalry group.  In my companions, I also designated my healers (Agnare and Alindel - both with 10's in all healing arts) to a separate group to send them to a safe space in the combat zone, while allowing my other more combat oriented companions the ability to join the action.

Yeah ... it isn't all that immersive.  YMMV  :)

edit:  just in case anyone who doesn't play but wants to follow the place names identified above, here is a link to an available high-resolution map of the Perisno realm..  Falcons are the white text territory in the south.  Kaikoth (dwarves) are to the east of the Falcons in bluish-grey text.  Elintor (elves) are to the northwest of Falcons in the green text.  Hakkon are in yellow text.  Drahara are in purple text.  Tolrania are in Red.  Maccavia in blue.  Reich in orange.  Valahir in brown.  Bahkal giants in navy blue.  Sut giants in gray.  etc.  (minor factions present but not interpreted for you)

Edited by Elovia
Jag and Lasraik like this

Nice write up.  No matter how many times I play, It is hard not to go with Gondor err...Falcon realm.  Those lords never give enough respect.  The key to getting keeps is having high relationship to the king/marshal.  I have found you get a lot more rep for rescuing him, than helping in the fight haha. 

Here is a juicy little tidbit of theory-crafting to mull over ...

Realm faction relations are easily erased due to the Freelancer mod incorporated into Perisno; just hire on with a liege and then promptly leave service.  Not so with minor faction relations; those are personal and persistent.

In theory, one could work as an independent and build positive faction relations with all the bandits, outlaws, demon worshipers, etc., while earning distrust and vengeance with (all but one of) the major factions by jumping into combats and suporting teh bad guiz. You would be constrained to using hired mercs or rescued troops.  Once you establish a kingdom, and get household guards, none of your caravans would be attacked by the traditional nere-do-wells. The trick would be balancing major faction animosity against industry in their towns in order to keep a relatively stable economic base. Pick a small major faction in which to not invest, zero out faction relations, and then solo take their castle/town.

Maybe next game will see me playing one of teh bad guiz. 

I did that with the major bad guy factions in PoP once.  It was one of my favorite games.  I made best friends with the snake cult and the Noldor then took out the Empire.  The massive event armies helped a lot to fend off incursions.

You have successfully motivated me. To play once again.  I think I am going to befriend the Zahn and the Illiaki or whoever. 

Edited by Jag

Some of the default starting minor faction relations may need to be adjusted to make the play viable, unless you like grinding down 90+ negative to get neutral. Yet again Morghs may be useful. It can be done, but if the player is to have a reasonable shot at a clean slate all around, some of the hatred could be normalized. 40-ish seems more reasonable tha 95. Just my 2c.

A new sub-mod to check out / follow ... Mel's Perisno.  She's either re-balanced or in the process of re-balancing some of the female unit troop trees.  Also futzed (that's a technical term) with the Giants and gave them boulders (or B.F.R.s - Big F*k'n Rocks) as throwing weapons.

fezzik.jpg.1e4917975364c34ca26b0b798f785a25.jpg

Lasraik likes this

Oh ... one last thing ...

The Falcons remind me of a cross between Swadia and Khergits in Native; their cavalry is very good in open field, but they tend to take heavier losses in mountainous or hilly terrain such as found in Kaikoth (or Rhodok) territory.

In Native and in A New Dawn, I tended to play either Swadia or Khergit (the mongol type faction) ... both of which prominently feature cavalry units ... with the former leaning toward melee and the latter leaning more toward mounted archers.  Then again, in AND, archery sucked as a player due to the mechanics tweaks ... although crossbows in sieges wasn't too bad if you could bring enough ammo.  Classic foot soldier armies such as the Nords or the Rhodoks just didn't/don't appeal to me.  Perhaps this is why I'm drawn to the Falcons.  I think the elves are kind of blah because, while they have very good archers, they cannot take a charge - engage them in melee and they go down like a cheap whore.  I think Drahara might be fun to play (reminds me of the Sultanate on steroids).  Giants are different, and I intend to try them someday, too, but I understand they may have longevity problems in general and need some balance love.

If you do the Illica Falki quest, you could use them to start a unique new kingdom although I'm not sure how well their troop tree is fleshed out.  In Perisno 0.7.x, I used to see how many of their units I could rescue to add to my warband because they were pretty awesome ... not sure how well they hold up in 0.8.x.

So my guy tells me that one of my villages is infested with bandits and I should go clear them out.  "Ok," says I.  And then I got there.  And saw.  And impulsively called upon an ancient Vietnamese spirit for help ... Ho Lee Fuk.  These Knights of Doom shred my Renweards to pieces.  I only have 11 Renweard Marshals, and they were only a speed bump on the road to decimation.  I also have a small handful of Paladins at my disposal that I could add to the mix, but I suspect they'll be overwhelmed just as easily too.

KoDInfest.thumb.png.6c5682517bfd2a39f95a90e277df0a74.png

Problem is that you don't get your full forces to take out the bandits.  You get an equal number INCLUDING farmers from the village ... or so it seems from counting my units compared to theirs in the after combat result screen (as they're carrying my limp body off the field).

Not sure how to counter this ...

Edited by Elovia
Lasraik likes this

There is an option in the settings to disable the farmers helping, that makes a big difference.  The other piece is to get formation orders, especially the stand closer ones out quickly.  Depending on the village set up you can bottle neck them.  Sometimes there is an open area, I get a group of my best mounted knights/archers to follow me, and I kite them around.  These fights are long and nerve racking.  Also remember that when troops are limited, the order in your army determines who joins.  Maybe the battle size setting also comes into play here.   This is where your custom troops can come in very handy.  Lots of x-bows, and polearms.  I use my bow to try and remove as many mounts as possible.  Once that is done, kiting becomes much easier.  No matter how you do it, it tends to be a bloody affair.

Edited by Jag

I am weak.  I've succumbed yet again to the sweet, sweet siren song.  Or would that be Falcon song?  But I digress ... yes, I am weak.

No. I just gravitated back to it ... again. It's fun and yet weirdly comforting with its familiarity.

I picked back up with an older (mid-twentyish level) character and tried to remain neutral to and through the Zann invasion.  The poor Falcons could barely defend themselves, and lost three of their castles. Their ineffective marshal could barely gather half of the realm's lords, so they would lose any encounter with the invading squads. And neutral me with maybe 150-or-so in my warband, I had to flee ahead of them as well. I eventually had opportunity to take Falconwatch castle, which I did, and started my own kingdom. I was hoping the Zann invading forces would take Fountain Hall too (so I could "rescue" it for myself), but they stopped short with only having taken the three castles. So then I pretty much had to join the Falcons as a vassel because my kingdom was deep in Falcon territory, and I didn't have sufficient defense forces against a determined realm to reclaim their old territory (not to mention that my right to rule credentials were pretty poor).

So now every other nation except the Falcons are at peace/truce with the Zann, and we're bearing the full weight of the attacking Zann lords (the invasion is long passed, and they're behaving like a normal realm - but with each lord still having massive warbands and spearheads in tow). I started throwing captured Zann lords in my prison and taking the honor hit when refusing ransom offers just to keep their numbers down.  If Field Marshall Gunnar doesn't sue for peace soon, I fear we'll all be cut down by attrition - death by a thousand paper cuts.

Perisno v0.9 is currently in the works, but no ETA on release.

I'll probably continue with this for a little while until something else catches my fancy.  I'm fickle that way. Little bit of adult-ADD, too, if I'm brutally honest.

Edited by Elovia

15 minutes ago, Elovia said:

Perisno v0.9 is currently in the works, but no ETA on release.

I'll probably continue with this for a little while until something else catches my fancy.  I'm fickle that way. Little bit of adult-ADD, too, if I'm brutally honest.

Chasing the dragon that was DAOC.  Me too.  I keep gravitating back to League of Legends.

Lasraik likes this

Perisno 0.9 released.  Up to  hotfix 2 as well.  I have not yet played, so no experience with the new version.  Just passing along to those that might care.