Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Let's Make Goblins Great... Again?

6 posts in this topic

The first Pauper deck I put together was this Goblin build.  Most of them were pretty similar, so I went with one of the more popular lists.

5-8-2017 12-51-42 PM.png

It didn't perform for me like I would expect a top tier deck, and now that I've gotten further into the format I don't think Goblins is a tier 1 deck.  I got stuck into the popular deck lists and didn't want to make too many changes to it, but I think it could use some upgrades.  

Cards that I felt underperformed, or don't need to be a playset:

• Goblin Sledder
  • Death Spark
  • Goblin Heelcutter
  • Goblin Caves

A creature that I thought would work well in this list that I removed was Raging Goblin.  It's a 1/1 for 1cc with Haste.  I don't think Death Spark is better than other red removal and I think Sledder can be a 1 of in this deck.  I found that when I fall behind with this deck, it's almost impossible to recover.  Is that just something that comes with the territory of a deck like this?

What other changes have you all made or do you think would be nice additions?  Going to take my revised list to our LGS in a few weeks for some Pauper fun.

I haven't played a Goblins deck quite like this, but I'd think you could go very fast and wide... that said, you need more impact in certain slots.

1. Raging Goblin - Like you said, this really has no punch, and it outclassed far too easily
  2. Electrickery - Maybe take it out for a combat trick or burn? Seems more of a SB card, IIRC
  3. Sylvok Lifestaff - Do you need the lifegain? If anything, Bonesplitter would fit better if you want a piece of equipment
  4. How about adding Intimidator Initiate? This is a good way to get your goobers through :)

Lasraik likes this

21 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

The first Pauper deck I put together was this Goblin build.  Most of them were pretty similar, so I went with one of the more popular lists.

5-8-2017 12-51-42 PM.png

It didn't perform for me like I would expect a top tier deck, and now that I've gotten further into the format I don't think Goblins is a tier 1 deck.  I got stuck into the popular deck lists and didn't want to make too many changes to it, but I think it could use some upgrades.  

Cards that I felt underperformed, or don't need to be a playset:

• Goblin Sledder
  • Death Spark
  • Goblin Heelcutter
  • Goblin Caves

A creature that I thought would work well in this list that I removed was Raging Goblin.  It's a 1/1 for 1cc with Haste.  I don't think Death Spark is better than other red removal and I think Sledder can be a 1 of in this deck.  I found that when I fall behind with this deck, it's almost impossible to recover.  Is that just something that comes with the territory of a deck like this?

What other changes have you all made or do you think would be nice additions?  Going to take my revised list to our LGS in a few weeks for some Pauper fun.

Have you considered going Red Black for extra goblin punch? As some of the red black goblins have trample and haste at 3/1 toughness?

#wishiwasaroundwhenlorwynblockwasinstandard

Lasraik likes this

8 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

I haven't played a Goblins deck quite like this, but I'd think you could go very fast and wide... that said, you need more impact in certain slots.

1. Raging Goblin - Like you said, this really has no punch, and it outclassed far too easily
  2. Electrickery - Maybe take it out for a combat trick or burn? Seems more of a SB card, IIRC
  3. Sylvok Lifestaff - Do you need the lifegain? If anything, Bonesplitter would fit better if you want a piece of equipment
  4. How about adding Intimidator Initiate? This is a good way to get your goobers through :)

Electrickery is probably better in the side board, it's there for token strategies and Elves.  But any other time it's meh.  Lifestaff can come in handy when you fall behind, but if you're depending on to stay alive you're in trouble any way.  I like the idea of some combat tricks or more burn and Bone Splitter

8 hours ago, Orcs Head Magic (Jordan) said:

Have you considered going Red Black for extra goblin punch? As some of the red black goblins have trample and haste at 3/1 toughness?

#wishiwasaroundwhenlorwynblockwasinstandard

I thought about that, but especially in Pauper going two colors can take an extra turn or two to get the right mana.  If everything fell into place it would be nice tho

On 5/15/2017 at 5:51 PM, Lasraik said:

Went with 2 Magma Jets, didn't add any Lava Spikes yet, but did take out the Staff and added a Madcap Skills.  Plan on playing it this Sunday

Forgot to update but went 2-1 in matches and 5-2 overall with this deck last weekend at our local Pauper tournament.  The Magma Jets really helped out, the Scry ability is huge imo.  

The deck that overwhelmed me was a Dimir control type build with lots of drawing and graveyard shenanigans.  On game 3 had 3 Anglers out fairly quickly and was countering and bouncing my dudes, just got overwhelmed and couldn't recover.  

Going to keep tinkering with this deck, maybe adding 2 more Magma Jets.