Lasraik

Play Testing

15 posts in this topic

When you're brewing up a deck or exploring a deck idea, how much time do you put into play testing?  Do you play test with proxies before you get the cards you want?  Do you play it against popular decks or your local/playgroup meta?

What is your method?

It depends on the deck, and how much experience I have playing that or a similar archetype.  I usually own most of the cards, have played something fairly similar (barring new combo decks), have read at least one strategy article or have watched a video of a pro playing the deck.  I'll build what I have, buy or trade for the rest, sleeve it up and play a few goldfish games to get a feel for how the draws go, then play against some friends for a couple matches to see if I like it enough to play at FNM or Tuesday Modern.  If I'm going to test for a PPTQ or states, I'll also attend as many events in that format for the 2 weeks before to try and scout the metagame to help tune the main deck flex slots most decks have, and lock in a sideboard to cover most of the bad match-ups.

Since I play online and mostly play on a budget, playtesting basically involves spending .20 tickets or less on a playset of cards and throwing it into the deck, running it as usual and seeing how it does.

Whenever playtesting a major change to a deck (like a color splash) I'll create a duplicate version of the deck, but other than that it's pretty simple online. :)

If I'm playtesting a NEW deck, I tend to just block it out using mostly cards I already have (often with a generic sideboard) and run it in the Just for Fun room for 5-10 games to see if it's viable, and if it looks like the strategy will be strong enough I'll dump a whole ticket or 3 into it to transform it into a fully fledged "budget piece of crap" deck that will usually be good enough for my channel. :P

21 hours ago, Molimo said:

It depends on the deck, and how much experience I have playing that or a similar archetype.  I usually own most of the cards, have played something fairly similar (barring new combo decks), have read at least one strategy article or have watched a video of a pro playing the deck.  I'll build what I have, buy or trade for the rest, sleeve it up and play a few goldfish games to get a feel for how the draws go, then play against some friends for a couple matches to see if I like it enough to play at FNM or Tuesday Modern.  If I'm going to test for a PPTQ or states, I'll also attend as many events in that format for the 2 weeks before to try and scout the metagame to help tune the main deck flex slots most decks have, and lock in a sideboard to cover most of the bad match-ups.

If it doesn't do well at FNM or Tuesday Modern do you abandon the idea or keep trying to improve it?

21 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

Since I play online and mostly play on a budget, playtesting basically involves spending .20 tickets or less on a playset of cards and throwing it into the deck, running it as usual and seeing how it does.

Whenever playtesting a major change to a deck (like a color splash) I'll create a duplicate version of the deck, but other than that it's pretty simple online. :)

If I'm playtesting a NEW deck, I tend to just block it out using mostly cards I already have (often with a generic sideboard) and run it in the Just for Fun room for 5-10 games to see if it's viable, and if it looks like the strategy will be strong enough I'll dump a whole ticket or 3 into it to transform it into a fully fledged "budget piece of crap" deck that will usually be good enough for my channel. :P

Online seems like it would be easier, since you just click and you have the cards right away.  Which formats do you play the most usually?

I like Modern and Pauper the most, I think because there is more room to brew, but I've been tinkering with a B/R Panharmonicon deck in standard lately, so I'm a little bit all over the place. :)

On 5/24/2017 at 0:51 PM, Lasraik said:

If it doesn't do well at FNM or Tuesday Modern do you abandon the idea or keep trying to improve it?

Depends on the deck and if there's something better to do with that shell of cards.  Usually the deck evolves, turning Grixis control into Delver for example, but sometimes the deck gets scrapped and I turn some of the core pieces into entirely different decks, such as when I tore apart Faeries and Tezzerater for Grixis (control, then Delver) and Ad Nauseam.

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 9:51 PM, Lasraik said:

Deck Building is a tricky process you can sit at home and goldfish games as much as you like but you need to see how the decks performs in the meta against real opponents. So if it does terrible at FNM I will take it home and tweek it, sometimes generally discussing with my opponent after games loss and what he thinks would improve it?

Lasraik likes this

On 5/20/2017 at 10:49 PM, Lasraik said:

When you're brewing up a deck or exploring a deck idea, how much time do you put into play testing?  Do you play test with proxies before you get the cards you want?  Do you play it against popular decks or your local/playgroup meta?

What is your method?

Hi, can you help me? I want to play MTG online without paying. Can you give me a site where I can play and used different cards?

8 hours ago, Temporal Magic said:

I know that some people use a free program called XMage.

I've never used it so I can't tell you the pros or cons of it. 

Never used it either but it's pretty popular.  I hear it's pretty decent but it has it's bugs occasionally. 

3 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

Never used it either but it's pretty popular.  I hear it's pretty decent but it has it's bugs occasionally. 

I've used XMage a bit. It's nice to load up a deck and go through several turns. It's really funky on the time limits. I lose on XMage more to time limits.

On 7/17/2017 at 6:08 PM, Diana Welch said:

I will try Xmage. Thank you for the recommendation!

Cockatrice is another free program if Xmage doesn't work out of if you want another option