Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dunnar

Any Tablet experts?

33 posts in this topic

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 edition. Its my second most used device outside of my work laptop. 

My battery life after about 70% is wildly erratic. It will go from 70 to 15% in less than 15 minutes. If I shutdown, wait, and restart, it will be at 65+%. See the pic, those bumps are reboots, not recharges.

Any ideas?

Screenshot_2017-06-01-18-04-39.thumb.png.2949b0a96f83a05382a13fc91130ff0e.png

I have the exact same issue.  Samsung Galaxy Note 4 right?  From my understanding it was an Android update that caused this and is a fault that affects all of them pretty much.  One of the recommended methods of fixing this seems to be to do a factory reset however I found I still had the issue afterwards.  Flushing the cache is a less extreme option that is supposed to help, but again I'm still suffering this issue myself.

Ah  man that's a bummer.  Is it something you can fix or does a technician have to do it?

1 hour ago, Lasraik said:

Ah  man that's a bummer.  Is it something you can fix or does a technician have to do it?

I believe you just have to know how to solder.  Which I am not good at.  

However,its a moot point now.  I got it wet (see Weekend thread).

I'm not sure my wife believes that it was an accident.

Couple months back I was down in Colorado.  Stopped into a Best Buy (we don't have them here) ... looked at the Surface Pro 4 ... thought to myself that the store was horribly mis-named.

I have a work station at ... ahem ... work, but our management all have Surface Pros docked to real monitors, keyboards and mice..  It's enough for their purposes because they don't need to run CAD.

How long have you had the device for? If it hasn't been long it could be a faulty battery; otherwise it's just how lithium batteries work. They will hold for quite some time between 100-75% charge, then they drop pretty hard and rest between 15-10% for sometime.

On 7/31/2017 at 6:58 PM, ComputerizedMTG said:

How long have you had the device for? If it hasn't been long it could be a faulty battery; otherwise it's just how lithium batteries work. They will hold for quite some time between 100-75% charge, then they drop pretty hard and rest between 15-10% for sometime.

2-3 years.  It is a common defect with the model.

On 7/31/2017 at 5:30 PM, Jag said:

@dunnar

How is the tablet working?

After having it for about a month, here are my random thoughts:

1.  Bing is ... tolerable.  I made a decision to not do anything with google for a month or so just to see.  All my searches were Bing.  Browser was Edge.  For the most part, its functional.  But if I really need to find something, its google.com.  Edge is a decent enough browser once you customize some things.  For maps, I tried bing for about 2 seconds and went straight to google maps.

2.  Out of the box, it is set up as a PC and not as a tablet.  For instance, when you don't have the keyboard attached, and you go to a text box, the keyboard doesnt pop up.  You have to change the settings in the OS.  I had to do some searching around to get the Win 10 options the way I wanted.

3.  Speaking of keyboard, its fantastic.  MS really put a lot of thought into this accessory.  I wouldn't ever recommend buying a surface without one.  It is magnetic and snaps right in.  It also acts as a quasi case.

4.  I also bought a bluetooth mouse specifically for gaming.  I'm not the greatest with the touchpad and some games won't even play with a touchscreen.

5.  The beauty of most tablets is you can charge them with the same USB connectors, cables, chargers, etc as you use for your phone.  Not so with the surface.  It needs 12v/2.5A which does not run off USB.  Big time pain in the ass and IMO the biggest drawback of the surface vs others.

6.  From a physical standpoint, the device is outstanding.  MS really put a lot of thought into everything.  Micro SD card pops right in and runs games/movies just as well as the HD.  The built in stand is awesome.  The power cord is magnetic and snaps right in.  I enabled login with the camera and that has worked reasonably well.  And the screen displays a great picture.

7.  It holds a charge very well.  I watched Dr Strange on a flight with my bluetooth headphones attached and could have watched another.  I can go an entire evening of web surfing, stardew valley playing, etc and not need to plug it in.

8.  It is as close as a tablet can get to being a PC.  If that is good or bad, I will leave that to you to judge.  It doesn't have the horsepower I am used to with a PC, but its good enough.

Overall, I am very pleased and do not regret getting it.

I did not realize you could put games on SD cards and keep a library like a console.

You should grab up a lithium jump starter for your car, carry it around and use it as a portable recharge station for an extra 8-10 hours or so.  They even allow them on planes.

https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-Starter-Portable-Multiple-Protected/dp/B01EWV2W6C

I think I will be getting one soon.  Any issues with the 4 gb ram?  Would you have gone 8 or even 16 if you could?  I am not getting the i7 as it seems only a marginal performance increase for the money.  I am thinking 8gb with the 256 storage.

Asus can't run windows I don't think.  Aside from that, the hardware seems very similar.  More research to be done!

1 minute ago, Wolphard said:

?

I thought they ran android as an operating system, like the non apple phones.

Good to know.  Sounds like the surface pro is still top of the line, but there does seem to be a fair amount of competition hitting the marketplace.

I looked around a bit, I am considering the Asus.  However no way in hell I am buying a device like this from HP (total POS) or some weird off brand manufacture I can't trust.

I looked around and most reviews rated the Surface the best. It had the best combo of features, specs, etc.

There are some things I don't like to skimp on and my tablet is one of them.

Edited by Dunnar

I went with a Lenovo - Yoga 710 2-in-1 11.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 128GB Solid State Drive - Silver.

Little more bulk but nice and fast.  Even has a Nvidia graphics card in it.  

I am also thinking about the flip books and trying to think when it would be a problem to have the keyboard detached.  Seems like you get a bit more value if you forego a detachable keyboard.

I was looking for a new laptop when I got it.   While I didn't need the flip / tablet ability, it was too good a deal to pass on with the dedicated graphics. 

3 hours ago, Jag said:

Seems decent for the cash. Good to see 12gb ram. Good to see AC wireless. Good to see an i5. Good to see 1080p.

My one reservation, and the thing that will hold this back, is that it's an HDD and not an SSD. Switch that out and it will fly.