Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Sideboarding and Casual Decks

9 posts in this topic

For a long while I never paid much attention to the cards in my deck past 60.  But after getting in a few games at my LGS and planning on hitting a GP eventually I started getting into the habit of having a side board.

Since I play casually 99% of the time, I started putting cards that I was on the fence about adding into the main deck into a side board.  So between games I would switch back and fourth to help the deck evolve.  Most of the time cards come in and out of the main deck trying to find the best combination.   Plus it helps me get into the habit of paying more attention during game play trying to figure out what should come in and go out.

What about you all, do you side board your casual decks? 

Rarely. Sometimes, I might have 1-2 cards I want to try, so I might slip it in (giggity) and try it out.

When we fire up a bunch of casual games in a row, we're using changing decks after every game, so I really don't have time to do sideboarding, nor does it make sense. 

My 'sideboarding' will be when I do deck building/tweaking, and then tuning the deck for various reasons. 

Lasraik likes this

Same here, as I play casually, its seldom that I will play the same deck more than 1-2 times in a day. My "sideboard" consists of cards I am deciding whether to put in or not (either when I do the initial build or when new cards get released that look like they fit). Once my deck is finalized, I remove the "maybe cards" and put them back into my card pool :) 

Lasraik likes this

Like both of you, in group games I hardly ever play the same deck more than once a day.  But it helps having my maybe cards in the same deck box and prevents me from having to go searching through boxes and boxes to find the cards I want to try.

2 hours ago, MancaveMTG said:

Yes and no. I sideboard for my more competitive decks. But, sometimes i play those decks if i dont have a budget deck built. So i dont try to directly sideboard for kitchen play.

1 hour ago, SylvanMTG said:

The only time I can see myself with a casual deck sideboard is if I have Wishes.

This, pretty much.

MancaveMTG likes this

Just as a funny side note, my first side board I ever built and took to FMN (during Scars standard) only had 7 cards in it: 3 Revoke Existence, 2 Doomblade, a Lifegain card, and a basic land (in case I wasn't drawing enough land) :lol:

The deck was very much a kitchen table deck, and at the time, I thought sideboarding was unnecessary.