Temporal Magic

Wizards Big Announcement Week

43 posts in this topic

Tomorrow, June 12th, starts the big week of MTG announcements.

What does everyone think Wizards will change, or add. Do you think anything will be a game changer, or will it be a lot of little things.

Personally I hope they go back to 3 set blocks and core sets.

And maybe, just maybe a return to Kamigawa.

These are just my thoughts, what does everyone else think.

Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see them returning to kamigawa, Mark Rosewater has said on his blog before that it's probably never going to happen because that set didn't do well.

Get the feeling it will be lots of information but nothing really huge that will change a ton.  Probably a lot of info on the MMO

Temporal Magic likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

I don't see them returning to kamigawa, Mark Rosewater has said on his blog before that it's probably never going to happen because that set didn't do well.

Get the feeling it will be lots of information but nothing really huge that will change a ton.  Probably a lot of info on the MMO

I know we may never return to Kamigawa, But a man can dream can't I.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Temporal MTG said:

I know we may never return to Kamigawa, But a man can dream can't I.

Firstly YES I would love to go to Kamigawa but they would need to not use any previous mechanics well apart from Ninjitsu!

2 hours ago, Rhino said:

Probably a bunch of little things that we can already guess. A change in set releases. Add core sets. New MTG online game and not fixing MTGO. Changes in ProTour stuff. More prize money less appearance fees. Probably all pretty boring.

Secondly Rhino has hit it on the head cores to return some ppl have been saying about going back to 3 block sets but I think its been more enjoyable having it at 2 personally!

Rhino, Lasraik and Temporal Magic like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mark_LifeBeginsAt20 said:

First announcement is up and its a doozy! Actually very happy to see these changes, that's for sure! What do you all think?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/metamorphosis-2-0-2017-06-12

think having sets be a range of 1 set or 3 sets could be sweet but also thank god for the return of core! Get us answers back in standard! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, this is a bombshell, but I like most of what they've got going for the future
To sum it up

  • No small sets. Large sets in Winter, Spring, Fall.
  • Revamped Core Set in Summer
  • Less focus on Gatewatch (thankfully)
  • No real 'block' format... 
  • Less Masterpieces (not in every set)
  • New Play Design team (we knew that already)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JesGolbez said:

Damn, this is a bombshell, but I like most of what they've got going for the future
To sum it up

  • No small sets. Large sets in Winter, Spring, Fall.
  • Revamped Core Set in Summer
  • Less focus on Gatewatch (thankfully)
  • No real 'block' format... 
  • Less Masterpieces (not in every set)
  • New Play Design team (we knew that already)

Very much in favour of both reintroducing core sets, and reducing the frequency of sets having Masterpiece subsets included (we'd have been seeing Masterpiece Dune Beetle or something of similar appeal within a few years otherwise). Open to the idea that getting rid of blocks can be a good thing, and having some flexibility on how many sets to stay in a specific plane for seems good but, since they'd have to decide it well in advance of players actually getting to use the cards and mechanics, will be difficult to judge properly. It's not hard to imagine a situation where they visit a world (probably one we know already) that they think we will love so decide to base 2 or 3 sets there, then the first one is awful and most of the year is a complete disaster for new sets.

Less focus on the Gatewatch is also good, but not really news, they told us about that already. Can't wait for tomorrow's announcement that, as they're going to be printing fewer new versions of Jace, they've decided to undan JTMS in Modern

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They said no more block format, but they did say that if the story/game required it, you might see back to back blocks on the same plane (so instead of two blocks with the second block showing some changes as a result of events, it would be two large blocks that are not designed to be drafted together). 

I think its good to have less Gatewatch and break things up a bit. I can understand for Innestrad and Amonkhet, but there really was no reason to have everyone on Kaladesh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, rainman said:

 

Less focus on the Gatewatch is also good, but not really news, they told us about that already. Can't wait for tomorrow's announcement that, as they're going to be printing fewer new versions of Jace, they've decided to undan JTMS in Modern

Ha! Good luck with that :) Imagine JTMS would be like $500 if they ever unbanned it in Modern :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good:

1.) Less of the Gatewatch

6-12-2017 2-37-43 PM.png

 

2.) Core sets are back... kinda.  I like that they are back to being the Summer set.

6-12-2017 2-38-43 PM.png

WoQ7zZCDjD_2018_Releases.gif

 

 

Not sure how I feel about the Masterpiece changes.  I think they should be in every set but make them worthwhile cards instead of bulk.  Hell, just make them a land cycle every other time.

6-12-2017 2-38-26 PM.png

 

They are now creating a Play Design group?  Seems like this is something that would have always existed.  Now that they've made such a big deal about this new group there are no more excuses when they miss Copy Cat combos in the future.

6-12-2017 2-38-03 PM.png

 

I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like pretty much everything. If I have anything to criticize, it's the Mark/WOTC seems to be missing the point that the reason Masterpieces declined in popularity wasn't because people were losing interesting in masterpieces but that the masterpieces themselves were declining in desirability.  Print VALUABLE cards at Masterpieces level, they are so rare that they won't cause too much harm to the secondary market and it means the premium masterpiece version will be guaranteed to be worth something.

 

Still, that's a tiny criticism, everything else sounds fantastic.  Bigger blocks are fine, I like that it means humans won't be 100 percent necessary to drive a conflict-driven plot, it means we could explore more primitive (or even humanless) worlds and just have sets with lots of cool non-human creatures.  Core sets are so important and I'm glad they are coming back in some form. People will whine that the cards are too simplistic and that they serve no purpose once they are released, but they are invaluable for new players so I'm glad to see them.

 

Now all I want is for the stories to be printed in book form now.  AND IT'S TOTALLY POSSIBLE NOW WITH NO BLOCKS SO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEEAAAAAASSSSEEE!

Temporal Magic and Lasraik like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many new goodies, including a new UN set and another big Masters set next year

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/25th-anniversary-announcement-day-2017-06-14

  • Brave the Unknown as you venture to the new world of Ixalan, where all we know so far is that Pirate Vraska battles Dinosaurs. But do you need anything more? Find out when Ixalan releases September 29.
  • Stake Your Claim on January 19, 2018, as the second set in Ixalan block releases with Rivals of Ixalan.
  • Explorers of Ixalan is an out-of-the-box multiplayer Magic experience that challenges you to defeat your opponents along the way as you search for the lost city. Begin your exploration on November 24, 2017.
  • The Art of Magic: The Gathering—Ixalan will be available January 2, 2018. Set sail for the uncharted jungles of Ixalan, where dangerous beasts, magnificent ruins, and lost treasures lie waiting to be discovered. Saddle up your Dinosaur mount and brave the unknown as you search the plane for a prize forgotten by history . . . until now!
  • Duel Decks: Merfolk vs. Goblins, which releases November 10, 2017, pits two of the most recognizable tribes in the history of Magic against one another with two ready-to-play 60-card decks. Will you side with the reckless and wily Goblins or the graceful and cunning Merfolk?
  • From the Vault: Transform takes the From the Vault series and, well, flips it. From the Vault: Transform, which releases November 24, 2017, collects fifteen of our favorite transforming cards, each with its own story to tell.
  • On April 28, 2018, we look to the past to move forward as we return to Dominaria with our next large set! (WOOOOOOOT!)
  • As part of our celebration of our 25th anniversary, we will be releasing a 25th anniversary–edition Masters set on March 16, 2018. The product will contain 249 cards from across Magic's entire history and will provide a drafting experience like previous Masters products. Available in English, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese.
  • On July 20, 2018, we once again will be introducing core sets back into Magic. We've got some tweaks to the formula prepared, so look for more information as we get closer.
  • We're (finally) traveling back to the wacky world of silver-bordered cards when Unstable releases December 8, 2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2017 at 6:43 AM, Affinity for MTG said:

I like pretty much everything. If I have anything to criticize, it's the Mark/WOTC seems to be missing the point that the reason Masterpieces declined in popularity wasn't because people were losing interesting in masterpieces but that the masterpieces themselves were declining in desirability.  Print VALUABLE cards at Masterpieces level, they are so rare that they won't cause too much harm to the secondary market and it means the premium masterpiece version will be guaranteed to be worth something.

Exactly!  They can't expect people to be as excited about getting a Masterpiece Black Vice as they would be getting a Scalding Tarn.

 

1 hour ago, Aurian said:

Or even have a Kindle/Online/downloadable version of the stories that I can download and read at leisure. 

That makes too much sense.

 

10 minutes ago, JesGolbez said:

So many new goodies, including a new UN set and another big Masters set next year

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/25th-anniversary-announcement-day-2017-06-14

  • Brave the Unknown as you venture to the new world of Ixalan, where all we know so far is that Pirate Vraska battles Dinosaurs. But do you need anything more? Find out when Ixalan releases September 29.
  • Stake Your Claim on January 19, 2018, as the second set in Ixalan block releases with Rivals of Ixalan.
  • Explorers of Ixalan is an out-of-the-box multiplayer Magic experience that challenges you to defeat your opponents along the way as you search for the lost city. Begin your exploration on November 24, 2017.
  • The Art of Magic: The Gathering—Ixalan will be available January 2, 2018. Set sail for the uncharted jungles of Ixalan, where dangerous beasts, magnificent ruins, and lost treasures lie waiting to be discovered. Saddle up your Dinosaur mount and brave the unknown as you search the plane for a prize forgotten by history . . . until now!
  • Duel Decks: Merfolk vs. Goblins, which releases November 10, 2017, pits two of the most recognizable tribes in the history of Magic against one another with two ready-to-play 60-card decks. Will you side with the reckless and wily Goblins or the graceful and cunning Merfolk?
  • From the Vault: Transform takes the From the Vault series and, well, flips it. From the Vault: Transform, which releases November 24, 2017, collects fifteen of our favorite transforming cards, each with its own story to tell.
  • On April 28, 2018, we look to the past to move forward as we return to Dominaria with our next large set! (WOOOOOOOT!)
  • As part of our celebration of our 25th anniversary, we will be releasing a 25th anniversary–edition Masters set on March 16, 2018. The product will contain 249 cards from across Magic's entire history and will provide a drafting experience like previous Masters products. Available in English, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese.
  • On July 20, 2018, we once again will be introducing core sets back into Magic. We've got some tweaks to the formula prepared, so look for more information as we get closer.
  • We're (finally) traveling back to the wacky world of silver-bordered cards when Unstable releases December 8, 2017.

Damn, another Master set?  

Will they print Aether Vial in the Merfolk Duel Deck?

Recently Mark Rosewater said they won't be doing any more Un sets, but here we are just a few months away from another one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best news day ever- new Un-set, and a return to Dominaria, the true home of Magic

 

On 6/13/2017 at 1:43 PM, Affinity for MTG said:

I like pretty much everything. If I have anything to criticize, it's the Mark/WOTC seems to be missing the point that the reason Masterpieces declined in popularity wasn't because people were losing interesting in masterpieces but that the masterpieces themselves were declining in desirability.  Print VALUABLE cards at Masterpieces level, they are so rare that they won't cause too much harm to the secondary market and it means the premium masterpiece version will be guaranteed to be worth something.

 

1 hour ago, Lasraik said:

Exactly!  They can't expect people to be as excited about getting a Masterpiece Black Vice as they would be getting a Scalding Tarn.

Did the announcement yesterday not specifically acknowledge this idea? Maybe it was just how I interpreted however it was phrased, but I thought this is pretty much the reason they gave for not including them in every set. Either way, I agree with you guys, Masterpieces need to be more special. I can't decide which has been the most disappointing inclusion so far, Divert really sticks out in my mind right now but Kor Haven (and to a lesser extent Tectonic Edge) was a questionable choice too. Who, apart from people trying to collect a full set, would want an Expedition Kor Haven? Sure it's cheaper than the Nemesis foil, but so what, the same applies to those foils too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now