Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dunnar

WWYD

7 posts in this topic

WWYD?

You buy a surface tablet from Amazon.  You open the box and can tell the box was opened previously.  The wrapper around the tablet has also been opened.  The serial number of the tablet does not match the number on the box.

The tablet looks brand new.  It is fully functional and passes all the developer tests via MS own stress app.  Its exactly what I ordered and by all accounts its a brand new tablet.

I notified the seller and they said to return it.  I can only do a return and cannot exchange.  Which means you don't get the price.  You have to wait to get your refund.  And then order another tablet.  Complicating the process, you wanted your tablet for a July vacation.  Returning it and purchasing a new one would most likely mean you would not have it in time.  Unless you paid more.

What would you do?

Is it a Warehouse Deal? Coz then it could be a showroommodel mismatch? I'd probably accept it, would not have checked serial number on the box even. You could make an attempt to get an additional discount, but afaic: No harm no foul.

How long does shipping take btw? It's 16 June, and I'm used to 24/7 or atleast 24/5 delivery. There is still time.

Dunnar likes this

Tough call.  If you thought there was a chance you would need to rely on the warranty, then I'd make sure the vendor acknowledged the mismatched serial numbers in writing, because otherwise you may have difficulty convincing them YOU didn't switch in the non-functioning tablet.  It sounds like the vendor is not willing to do that, so returning it is your best (and only) option.

If you don't think you'll need to rely upon the warranty, and you feel comfortable accepting that risk, then evaluate that risk against the need to have it on your trip.  Do you really NEED it? or just want it?  Are other options available?  It it a case of NEED, and there are no other options available, and I'm willing to accept the risk of having it as is ... then I would probably keep it.

Are other warranty options available (i.e., would a local shop perform warranty work if needed)?  You may not need the original shipping container several months or a year after the purchase in order to get the warranty work done.  Perhaps all you need to do is register the device with the manufacturer using the serial number on the device, and that would get you in their system.

Much to think about ...

Dunnar likes this

With MS stuff, you register the number on the device for the warranty.  The box is irrelevant.

I did that and decided to keep it.  My 1 year warrantee starts today.  I put it through a good gaming session last night.  The only thing I have not done is test the micro SD port but that will be done shortly.

@Wolphard I could get 24/7 shipping, I just would have to pay for it.  I am not a Amazon prime member.  So now I would add another $100ish for the device for a price difference.  I would have to figure out where to purchase its replacement from.  And I would have to pay for shipping.  Pain in the ass lol.

To answer your question @Elovia ... don't need it.  I want it :)

Elovia and Wolphard like this

That's what I gathered from my first purchase on Amazon(.de) a few weeks ago. It ook those led's a week to arrive from Germany... A WEEK! IIRC they came from Dortmund, which is a 5h drive away. I figured it was due to international shipping. Which would still be odd with our open borders and all. Anyway, I am so used to the more local webshops having 24/5 or 7 service standard. The bigger ones charge no delivering fee, while the smaller ones usually ask the €6,95 standard fee of (the former Royal, but now privatized) PostNL.  If I order before 14:00h, I can often choose to have it delivered the same day even. That would cost an additional €10 or so. One of the perks of a small country I suppose.