Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

Elex

20 posts in this topic

The massive success of the whole open world RPG vs the MMO is bound to bring in more open world action RPG's.  Maybe clone is to strong a word, but the concept is certainly growing.

GTA

Fallout

Skyrim

A descent sci-fi version of this formula would be exciting.

Edited by Jag
Dunnar and Elovia like this

Yeah, I've been playing this type of game since TES: Arena back in the DOS days ... maybe even before. And I've written here on a number of off-the-beaten-track or niche titles:  Two Worlds series, Gothic series, and the Risen series to name a few.  Currently playing Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen, which fits neatly in this genre.

Edited by Elovia

Currently trying to play Mad Max, which is also an open world RPG. gotta say, it's my favourite genre.

What scares me about ELEX is it might be trying to do too much.  Instead of focusing on one theme it's doing 4 

Elovia likes this

So the game is now out.  It may be found at GoG and at Steam.  I'm not yet ready to pick up this one ... yet.  I think I'll wait a month or two for the initial release patches to get implemented.  Then I'll look and see what sort of graphics mods are available.  Then, because I'm cheap, I'll watch the price to see whether this will go on sale (maybe at end of the year winter sales events).

But then again, it's hard to resist a good jetpack-enhanced adventure ...

Edited by Elovia

Skyrim didn't do the open world first, I mean its not even the first in its own series!  GTA was open world before Skyrim!  So was your mum, as Elovia can attest.

Been looking at this game too, and like Lasraik it seems to be promising a lot while being unclear whether it actually meets those promises.  Waiting too to see what people think and the actual reviews of the game before forking over any cash.

Yeah, for the price its going at at the moment if its intended to have any kind of dlc I will be waiting for the Game of the Year edition.  Still not got Civ 6 because after Civ 5 you know the game won't actually be finished and in a playable state until all the dlc is released and they then release a GotY edition, plus the price they were charging for that was just fucking ridiculous.  Seriously, game prices these days are just a joke now.

14 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Yeah, for the price its going at at the moment if its intended to have any kind of dlc I will be waiting for the Game of the Year edition.  Still not got Civ 6 because after Civ 5 you know the game won't actually be finished and in a playable state until all the dlc is released and they then release a GotY edition, plus the price they were charging for that was just fucking ridiculous.  Seriously, game prices these days are just a joke now.

My father has been living in Tailand for a couple years now.  Anytime we buy a game on steam I just have him make the purchase and gift it.  It costs us SIGNIFICANTLY less money sometimes 50 to 75% less than paying with the US dollar.

From reading early reviews, it appears to be the spiritual successor to Gothic 2 (strangely, not Gothic 3).  None of the previous Piranha Bites titles that I own and played that are very similar (Gothic series, Risen series) had extra DLC, although there were community mods.  That isn't to say that PB won't start issuing DLC, but if history is any indication, they probably won't.  We're more likely to see Elex 2 and Elex 3 released as standalone games instead.  I also think that waiting for a stabilization patch or two would be wise (again, if history is any indication).

Edited by Elovia

Galciv 3, Dragons Dogma, Shadow of Mordor, war for the over-world, age of wonders 3, warframe, lotro, warthunder all played in the last month and like 90 other games on the steam account 1/2 of which never got the attention they deserve.  I need to just stop looking at new games haha.

1 hour ago, Jag said:

Galciv 3, Dragons Dogma, Shadow of Mordor, war for the over-world, age of wonders 3, warframe, lotro, warthunder all played in the last month and like 90 other games on the steam account 1/2 of which never got the attention they deserve.  I need to just stop looking at new games haha.

I have both War for the Over World and Dungeons II ... got them both at the same time, played each a little bit, then played Dungeons II further.  Off the top of my head, I can't recall much about WftOW or why I chose to play Dungeons II instead.  It is still installed so I may need to revisit it.  I see Dungeons III was just released; I've got it on my wishlist but will probably wait to pick it up when its on sale, since I have other games I'm yet to play.

My kid plays Warframe a lot and enjoys it.  That one, like WarThunder, is MP only if I recall correctly.

Jag likes this

8 minutes ago, Elovia said:

I have both War for the Over World and Dungeons II ... got them both at the same time, played each a little bit, then played Dungeons II further.  Off the top of my head, I can't recall much about WftOW or why I chose to play Dungeons II instead.  It is still installed so I may need to revisit it.  I see Dungeons III was just released; I've got it on my wishlist but will probably wait to pick it up when its on sale, since I have other games I'm yet to play.

My kid plays Warframe a lot and enjoys it.  That one, like WarThunder, is MP only if I recall correctly.

War-frame is not ONLY multiplayer, but all of the on-level content is multiplayer balanced.  It has a unique place in the game library as it is a multiplayer PvE focused game.  As such, playing with friends and family is the highlight.  When I play solo with random people the missions end up feeling like a race rather than teamwork so I don't do it anymore.

Edited by Jag
Elovia likes this

Necro thread ...

So I've been watching this title (Elex) since it came out, and I've purposefully left it alone to mature before taking the purchase plunge.  Prior "Gothic" and "Risen" experience has taught me that titles from this developer (Piranha Bites) usually benefit from extra post-release time to smooth out the bugs and wrinkles in game play.

During the recent THQ Nordic GmbH sale over at GoG, the game was priced at US$16.49, which is a significant discount from its regular price of US$49.99 (for those who don't want to do the math, that's approximately 1/3 of the regular price).  And so I decided to pull the trigger on it.  I've been playing this type of game lately (see other threads on "Bound by Flame" and "The Technomancer") in between extended rounds of Grim Dawn, so I figured I'd give it a look to see where and how it has matured.

When reading the latest set of change notes, I saw this ...

Capture.JPG.3f0d48d5ac698b736ee5a676216846c1.JPG

"... please do go on, I'm ... intrigued ..."

Edited by Elovia

5 hours ago, Elovia said:

Necro thread ...

So I've been watching this title (Elex) since it came out, and I've purposefully left it alone to mature before taking the purchase plunge.  Prior "Gothic" and "Risen" experience has taught me that titles from this developer (Piranha Bites) usually benefit from extra post-release time to smooth out the bugs and wrinkles in game play.

During the recent THQ Nordic GmbH sale over at GoG, the game was priced at US$16.49, which is a significant discount from its regular price of US$49.99 (for those who don't want to do the math, that's approximately 1/3 of the regular price).  And so I decided to pull the trigger on it.  I've been playing this type of game lately (see other threads on "Bound by Flame" and "The Technomancer") in between extended rounds of Grim Dawn, so I figured I'd give it a look to see where and how it has matured.

When reading the latest set of change notes, I saw this ...

Capture.JPG.3f0d48d5ac698b736ee5a676216846c1.JPG

"... please do go on, I'm ... intrigued ..."

I'm more curious to know how they moved when incorrectly.

Also, just started playing Outer Worlds. Too early to judge. Worse thing about it that the hard coded keys don't let lefties use their version of WASD. Veeeeery annoying. Also the FOV is too tight.

Elovia likes this

1 hour ago, Pasanda said:

I'm more curious to know how they moved when incorrectly.

Also, just started playing Outer Worlds. Too early to judge. Worse thing about it that the hard coded keys don't let lefties use their version of WASD. Veeeeery annoying. Also the FOV is too tight.

It may not be too far fetched to suspect that before the fix, female body parts behaved naughtily during dialogs.  /mind wanders

Pasanda likes this