Transcendent MTG

I heard you like to draft

14 posts in this topic

Drafting HOU

So for draft with Hour you will get 2 packs hour and one pack of amonkhet.

Today we will be going over the hour cards that i think will be the best to build around and i would pick first in a pack or those that i would only pick if they wheeled.

So lets get started

Bolas and the Corrupted gods: 
All four of these cards are first pickable in a pack one. And quite frankly in a IRL Pool i would pick them in any of my packs even if i wasnt in those colors to hate draft
Important side note. it is useless to hate draft in Magic online because you dont go against people in the same pool as you normally

Samut:
She is first pickable in a pack one and if you are in colors i would grab her in pack two/three; she isnt the best walker but she is great in her color pairing

Crested sunmare: May not be first pick but if you know you wanna play white tokens go for it
I really like this card if you are able to pick up some annointer priest it will trigger every turn after you make your first token; and if you can pick up an annointed precision in one of your amonkhet packs pure gold

Unesh: Would not first pick.
This card is great in a specific build and if you wanna force blue go for it.. but most sphynxs are rare or unccommon and i dont think this is great card to build around

Razaketh: Would not first pick
This card is great again it is a bomb but the mana needed in such a fast format is not worth first pick.. if im already in black and it comes pack 2 i might grab it for the late late game

Neheb: First pick
This card is amazing. Afflict 3 and you get red mana for each 1 life lost by your opponent. Can you say broken! amazing card

Majestic Myriarch: First first first pick
I love this card in all formats. its power toughness is equal to double number of creatures you control. So its auto a 2/2 if you play it. and it has odrics ability. Huge bomb

The Last cycle: First pickable depends on pack
Very situational cards. Green is def the best as it can be played turn 2 and make a 5/4. Blue is my second favorite. 4 mana take something is good. Red is late game but gamble

The Hour Cycle: First pickable depending on pack

The hour cards are all very very strong.Red is strongest removal in format, Blue and white i would not first pick due to triple mana requirement. But the black and green are amazing. Have the oppurtunity to totally change the game

The defeat cycle: Would pick third or fourth.
There are alot of commons i would take over these cards. Just because they are so situational. The black and white would be my prefered pick ups. 

Djeru: Not first pickable
Yes he is a 4/3 but his ability only has to do with walkers. Also only walker youd play with him is Gideion or Lilly as he is a fourth or third color for any other walker in limited

Ammit Eternal: First pick all day
Afflict 3 and when he does combat damage remove all -1/-1 from him and he is a 5/5 for 3. In limited he will get threw and your opponent casting spells giving him -1/-1 isnt that horrible

Overwhelming splendor: Would first pick
Now normally things with this high of mana cost i would not first pick. But with lack of enchantment removal or it being sideborded in most cases. this is a game ender. 

Torment of Hailfire: FIRST pick
x black black repeat.. sign me up. Even if i do this for just three in a blue black deck where i can recure this spell is freaking amazing. Love this card

Pride Sovereign: First pick
Great green white card and there are plenty of cats in this format. oh and it makes more. Would not let this rotate to another player

Angel of Condemnation: First pick
Flickerwisp on a stick. Yes please. Also flying and vigiliance.

Fraying sanity: would not first pick
Curse is amazing. but you have to have supporting cards. mill isnt huge in this format. 

DreamStealer: First pick
Menace when deals damage player discards card.. combos so well.. Mighty leap.. anything that boost it. Yummy

Ramunap hydra: first pick
Reach vigilance trample buffs itself if i have a deseret (you will have a desert) seems good. espically if we get a myriarch

Solemnity: would not first pick
What do you mean this card is freaking busted! yes it is but it only helps against specific archetypes unless your going against a -1/-1 counter build.. limited this is sideboard

Aftermath cards: 
Drive/Despair and Grind/Dust is only two i would first pick. The others just are too situational. 

Mirrage Mirror: first pick all day
Probably my favorite card in the set. make a copy of almost anything. clone on a stick

God Pharohs gift: 
Creature heavy decks will love this. But mana cost is high. Risky first pick but a bomb

Abandoned sacrophagus: 
First pick if you know your gonna force blue black cycle.

Endless sands:
I would not first pick this card but it is very strong. I would be tempted depending what else is in the pack. the ability to exile something and then bring it back maybe they try to destroy your bomb with a final reward
save it. Very strong card.. just have hard time first picking coloreless land lol

Desert Colored Pay life cycle: 
Not first pickable. But would pick them up if they are available for your color each one does something by sacaraficing any desert. could be strong

Desert cycle cycle: 
Slow mono colored lands will wheel the whole pack probably be last pick

I agree with most of what you said here.  There is a few where I think you are incorrect, but I think you're right on these for the most part.  For example, Unesh is totally first pickable.  A 4/4 flyer that is at least guaranteed to get me the best card from the top 4 cards of my library is pretty good.  I understand that most people consider blue to be the worst color, but if you choose to draft it when no one else in your pod does, it can lead to an easy 3-0.  Being in the open color is better than being in the best color 99% of the time.  I also disagree with your evaluation of the defeat cycle.  The defeat cycle are all sideboard cards.  Would you ever 3rd pick a Plummet or a Disenchant?  These are cards that will be dead in your hand most of the time when you could have drawn a card that would impact the board instead.  It is certainly correct to sideboard them in during certain match-ups, but taking a sideboard card over a card that would be playable in your main deck is just incorrect as well.  You pick up sideboard cards when there is nothing else in the pack that would even have the smallest chance of going in your main deck.  The cycle of defeat cards should be taken between picks 8-12.  These were the 2 main disagreements that I had with you.  Everything else seems reasonable and informative.  Well done.

10 minutes ago, AlbyMTG said:

I agree with most of what you said here.  There is a few where I think you are incorrect, but I think you're right on these for the most part.  For example, Unesh is totally first pickable.  A 4/4 flyer that is at least guaranteed to get me the best card from the top 4 cards of my library is pretty good.  I understand that most people consider blue to be the worst color, but if you choose to draft it when no one else in your pod does, it can lead to an easy 3-0.  Being in the open color is better than being in the best color 99% of the time.  I also disagree with your evaluation of the defeat cycle.  The defeat cycle are all sideboard cards.  Would you ever 3rd pick a Plummet or a Disenchant?  These are cards that will be dead in your hand most of the time when you could have drawn a card that would impact the board instead.  It is certainly correct to sideboard them in during certain match-ups, but taking a sideboard card over a card that would be playable in your main deck is just incorrect as well.  You pick up sideboard cards when there is nothing else in the pack that would even have the smallest chance of going in your main deck.  The cycle of defeat cards should be taken between picks 8-12.  These were the 2 main disagreements that I had with you.  Everything else seems reasonable and informative.  Well done.

Thanks this was my first attempt and i def understand the sphynx argument and the defeat cycle argument. And after looking at some of the commons that are coming out with the rest of spoilers i def think the deafeat cycle is underwhelming side board options. sphynx i kinda just would like more sphynxs to go with him i guess but they are most in the rare spot

AlbyMTG likes this

Yeah, defeat cycle is sideboard only for sure.   I also don't know if I'd pick any of the torment cycle first except maybe the common one... weirdly, I think that's the best one.  I LOVE Mirage Mirror- it was my promo at prerelease.  But I'd definitely pass on "cute" cards like abandoned sarcophagus and God-Pharoah's Gift.  Those will still be there late if that's really your deck.  

In limited what's really important to discuss is the commons and uncommons, since that will be 95% of your deck. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the best commons or uncommons in every color of HOU.

Lasraik and Foodtime like this

On 29/06/2017 at 2:47 PM, Transcendent MTG said:

Drafting HOU

So for draft with Hour you will get 2 packs hour and one pack of amonkhet.

Today we will be going over the hour cards that i think will be the best to build around and i would pick first in a pack or those that i would only pick if they wheeled.

So lets get started

Bolas and the Corrupted gods: 
All four of these cards are first pickable in a pack one. And quite frankly in a IRL Pool i would pick them in any of my packs even if i wasnt in those colors to hate draft
Important side note. it is useless to hate draft in Magic online because you dont go against people in the same pool as you normally

Samut:
She is first pickable in a pack one and if you are in colors i would grab her in pack two/three; she isnt the best walker but she is great in her color pairing

Crested sunmare: May not be first pick but if you know you wanna play white tokens go for it
I really like this card if you are able to pick up some annointer priest it will trigger every turn after you make your first token; and if you can pick up an annointed precision in one of your amonkhet packs pure gold

Unesh: Would not first pick.
This card is great in a specific build and if you wanna force blue go for it.. but most sphynxs are rare or unccommon and i dont think this is great card to build around

Razaketh: Would not first pick
This card is great again it is a bomb but the mana needed in such a fast format is not worth first pick.. if im already in black and it comes pack 2 i might grab it for the late late game

Neheb: First pick
This card is amazing. Afflict 3 and you get red mana for each 1 life lost by your opponent. Can you say broken! amazing card

Majestic Myriarch: First first first pick
I love this card in all formats. its power toughness is equal to double number of creatures you control. So its auto a 2/2 if you play it. and it has odrics ability. Huge bomb

The Last cycle: First pickable depends on pack
Very situational cards. Green is def the best as it can be played turn 2 and make a 5/4. Blue is my second favorite. 4 mana take something is good. Red is late game but gamble

The Hour Cycle: First pickable depending on pack

The hour cards are all very very strong.Red is strongest removal in format, Blue and white i would not first pick due to triple mana requirement. But the black and green are amazing. Have the oppurtunity to totally change the game

The defeat cycle: Would pick third or fourth.
There are alot of commons i would take over these cards. Just because they are so situational. The black and white would be my prefered pick ups. 

Djeru: Not first pickable
Yes he is a 4/3 but his ability only has to do with walkers. Also only walker youd play with him is Gideion or Lilly as he is a fourth or third color for any other walker in limited

Ammit Eternal: First pick all day
Afflict 3 and when he does combat damage remove all -1/-1 from him and he is a 5/5 for 3. In limited he will get threw and your opponent casting spells giving him -1/-1 isnt that horrible

Overwhelming splendor: Would first pick
Now normally things with this high of mana cost i would not first pick. But with lack of enchantment removal or it being sideborded in most cases. this is a game ender. 

x black black repeat.. sign me up. Even if i do this for just three in a blue black deck where i can recure this spell is freaking amazing. Love this card

Pride Sovereign: First pick
Great green white card and there are plenty of cats in this format. oh and it makes more. Would not let this rotate to another player

Angel of Condemnation: First pick
Flickerwisp on a stick. Yes please. Also flying and vigiliance.

Fraying sanity: would not first pick
Curse is amazing. but you have to have supporting cards. mill isnt huge in this format. 

DreamStealer: First pick
Menace when deals damage player discards card.. combos so well.. Mighty leap.. anything that boost it. Yummy

Ramunap hydra: first pick
Reach vigilance trample buffs itself if i have a deseret (you will have a desert) seems good. espically if we get a myriarch

Solemnity: would not first pick
What do you mean this card is freaking busted! yes it is but it only helps against specific archetypes unless your going against a -1/-1 counter build.. limited this is sideboard

Aftermath cards: 
Drive/Despair and Grind/Dust is only two i would first pick. The others just are too situational. 

Mirrage Mirror: first pick all day
Probably my favorite card in the set. make a copy of almost anything. clone on a stick

God Pharohs gift: 
Creature heavy decks will love this. But mana cost is high. Risky first pick but a bomb

Abandoned sacrophagus: 
First pick if you know your gonna force blue black cycle.

Endless sands:
I would not first pick this card but it is very strong. I would be tempted depending what else is in the pack. the ability to exile something and then bring it back maybe they try to destroy your bomb with a final reward
save it. Very strong card.. just have hard time first picking coloreless land lol

Desert Colored Pay life cycle: 
Not first pickable. But would pick them up if they are available for your color each one does something by sacaraficing any desert. could be strong

Desert cycle cycle: 
Slow mono colored lands will wheel the whole pack probably be last pick

After missing pre-release I'm really looking forward to drafting this set. I don't necessarily need any of the cards so it would really be about the play experience rather than drafting particulars for a change!

On 6/29/2017 at 2:47 PM, Transcendent MTG said:

Did you catch any of the PrePrerelease that the LoadingReadyRun guys did? This card was cast 3 times (out of 4 games played), and the opponent made whatever choices were convenient and then won next turn on all 3 occasions. It's a small sample size admittedly, and in all 3 of those games it was pretty much a hopeful last throw of the dice in a desperate situation, but it definitely didn't look like a card that is good if you get behind.

3 hours ago, rainman said:

Did you catch any of the PrePrerelease that the LoadingReadyRun guys did? This card was cast 3 times (out of 4 games played), and the opponent made whatever choices were convenient and then won next turn on all 3 occasions. It's a small sample size admittedly, and in all 3 of those games it was pretty much a hopeful last throw of the dice in a desperate situation, but it definitely didn't look like a card that is good if you get behind.

In late game after a board wipe it is devistating. Or as a board wipe. from prerelease at my store in all three it was a beast of a card