How would you rate Amonkhet?

Rate Amonkhet   16 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Amonkhet?

• Very good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very poor

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, teh_chris said:

Fantastic limited format. Abysmal long-term potential. I don't suggest buying the set outside of singles for decks or drafting. With the print runs through the roof, and the cards basically not very good for the older formats, it's hard for me to give AKH any good marks.

Totally agree.  Other than maybe a few Pauper playables there's really no long term play ability other than some janky casual decks.

I thought it was a blast, but I agree that long term it won't hold (both in value and play ability with upcoming sets). Unfortunately I think WoTC might be too afraid to design extremely powerful cards that this will be a trend for the next few sets. That is not completely a bad thing for the Standard environment, but it also means that formats like Modern won't have much to gain from the next upcoming sets if it's the case.

Limited - Have not watched as much as I used to. 

Casual - It's one of the newer sets that hasn't inspired me to build any decks, although I acknowledge that there are a lot of cool cards to fool around with. My old Living End deck is being upgraded thanks to the Cycling Demon.

Flavour - I liked it, and I like HOU even more.. I actually like it more than Kaladesh, honestly. 

1 hour ago, JesGolbez said:

Limited - Have not watched as much as I used to. 

Casual - It's one of the newer sets that hasn't inspired me to build any decks, although I acknowledge that there are a lot of cool cards to fool around with. My old Living End deck is being upgraded thanks to the Cycling Demon.

Flavour - I liked it, and I like HOU even more.. I actually like it more than Kaladesh, honestly. 

I loved the flavor, Kaladesh not so much.

Temporal Magic likes this

Amonkhet ,and most likely Hour, has a bunch of interesting and fun cards for different decks.

A few of the cards are breakout stars like Glorybringer or Dread Wanderer. But if you look at the most played cards in standard right now there is only a few from Amonkhet. EDH is where most of these cards will find a home.

Long term the Amonkhet block will be remembered for an interesting story and the few cards that remain viable in eternal formats.

Lasraik likes this

14 hours ago, Temporal MTG said:

Amonkhet ,and most likely Hour, has a bunch of interesting and fun cards for different decks.

A few of the cards are breakout stars like Glorybringer or Dread Wanderer. But if you look at the most played cards in standard right now there is only a few from Amonkhet. EDH is where most of these cards will find a home.

Long term the Amonkhet block will be remembered for an interesting story and the few cards that remain viable in eternal formats.

I forget about EDH sometimes since I haven't played it (yet).  I can see some of the rares and mythics (maybe the Gods?) find long term homes in that format.  In other formats I think As Foretold will see play.  

As far as expected value for Amonkhet, there just isn't any value in it.  So unless you're going masterpiece hunting, there's little incentive to buy sealed.

7-5-2017 9-54-38 AM.png

Even when you compare it to Kaladesh

kaladeshev.png

Or even the smaller Aether Revolt

aetherrevoltev.png

Temporal Magic likes this

On 7/13/2017 at 7:15 PM, M4cr0Dutch said:

I love the tribal potential (I am a sucker for minotaurs B)). I have even managed to get my wife playing, after 17 years of waiting, thanks to the Egyptian flavour. Does anybody else find the card mechanics a bit... convoluted? I don't rate it very highly as a set for teaching new players.

You are right about it being a little confusing.  I tried using this set to help a friend get into Magic and it was confusing for them.

M4cr0Dutch likes this

11 hours ago, Lasraik said:

You are right about it being a little confusing.  I tried using this set to help a friend get into Magic and it was confusing for them.

I'm glad it's not just me being old and grumpy ;) Last game she asked if we could go through the basics of deck construction and swapped a bunch of cards out for simpler alternatives. The whole shifting of -1/-1 counters around whilst waiting to draw/cast Lilliana was the main annoyance.

Then she beat me, after being down 26 to 3 at one stage. I have created a monster... :rolleyes:

Lasraik likes this