Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JesGolbez

[HOU] How did your pre-releases go?

13 posts in this topic

I forgot to save pics of our decks, so no blog post :P

How did you guys and gals do are your HOU pre-releases?

I'm too old to do too many, so Aurian and I just went to one PR, which went 4 rounds. It kind of dragged since a lot of matches went to time, and they kept giving long breaks between rounds.

I went 2-1-1 with a GB deck that had a good -1/-1 counter theme. I got Hapatra, and a lot of Amonkhet cards that syngerized. Aurian went 3-1 (second place!) with a nasty BR deck that had Hour of Devastation, Glorybringer(!), and removal to back it up.

I ended up not using most of my rares, and my promo was Solemnity. Great for casual/modern, not for limited. 

Round 1: Went to time and a 1-1 draw. I got too cute and splashed red for some removal spells. My deck was removal-light, otherwise, but, even with some mana fixing, I was stuck with cards I couldn't play.

Round 2: After dropping the first game, I decided to cut the red out entirely, and focused on a pure G/B Deck, even if I had less removal and put in some 'meh' filler. The deck was much more consistant, and I was able to take the last 2 games. Yes, having a good curve still works :)

Round 3: Won a close match 2-1. Opponent had the new mirror that can copy creatures, so he'd copy his own Fan Bearer, tap 2 of my dudes, and then swing back copying some other nastier creature (like my 7/7 wurm). I managed to get Hapatra engine on enough to win Game 3.

Round 4: This kid (who won the whole thing) beat me in the last pre-release and did so again, 2-0 :( He does seem to like aggressive decks and also pulls cards to support it. He had the white card that searches up planeswalkers...and Samut to go with it. Double-striking is real, especially with all of the menace dudes he has. I had him down to 2 life in Game 1, but couldn't push through.
---

1. Overall, the sealed environment seemed quite slow, and a lot of matches went fairly long, as supposed to Amonket draft, which was very fast.  Some other thoughts
  2. HOU has a lot of unexciting rares. This limited format will likely be less bomb-heavy.
  3. On the other hand, the gods and other bombs tend to be mythic. I didn't face a god all day, thankfully. I did see them at other tables, and they seemed rather unbeatable if you don't have an exile affect.
  4. I like the desert subtheme, and I had some deserts and cards that cared about them. 
  5. The clone mirror is the real deal. 

Didn't make it to prerelease, not too excited about this set but its fun hearing about it.

Solemnity isnt strong in limited? (Serious question)

Our prerelease was 7 rounds - 80 people!  It was our first midnight prerelease.  I (Paul) didn't pull any bombs other than Angel of Condemnation and Overwhelming Splendor.  Got to cast it a couple times, which was cool.  Went 3-2-2 overall with a very mediocre deck, so I was pretty pleased.  Last game I drew, and was just a couple turns from winning game 3 when they called time.  If I had been able to finish, I would have wound up in the top 16, which would have been awesome, so I was a little disappointed about that.  

Randy had the best pulls by far- 2 Scarab Gods and a promo Unesh!

3-1 with a R\B deck with Hour of Glory, Glorybringer, Hour of Devestation, a tonne of removal, and those black dudes that get +2/+2 every time I cycled, and I had a LOT of cycle. I was able to get some devestating hits in with lots of cycling. 

I had had a LOT of fliers in blue but no mana fixing so I kept the colour with bombs and the  colour with removal/synergy. 

My loss was in my first matchup when my deck decided it would be fun to mana screw me twice.

I went 2-2-1 in the end I love the last cycle in the limited environment not nearly as damaging as I thought it would be especially when I use Kefnet's Last Word to steal opponents Gods and Bombs so fun! Bontu Last Reckoning is awesome too!

Lasraik and JesGolbez like this

11 hours ago, Rhino said:

I went 2-2 with a R/U Deserts, Drakes and Damage deck. I still got 5th place. When my dad played the deck afterwards, he couldn't lose. I just don't know the cards well enough yet.

Congrats on that. It's always harder when it's a pre-release, since everybody is getting used to the cards. 

---
No way in hell I could do a 80-100 person event. We do have one at a big LGS here, but I prefer the smaller, quicker events... less BO, less time.. :D

Lasraik likes this

12 hours ago, Breakfast with Nerds said:

Yep. Saturday afternoon routinely has well over 100. It always goes 7 rounds before the top 8 is decided.  Once, the shop owner had to turn folks away because there was just no more space. He bought them pizza next door. :)

Wow, that sounds like an awesome place to play!

4 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

Wow, that sounds like an awesome place to play!

We are super lucky.  It was very intimidating to play our first ever "public" Magic there, but the environment has always been really supportive and cool, which I think is the most important thing for new folks checking out the store.  We have both always tried to pass that sentiment along to all the folks we meet/play against at the store.

Lasraik, teh_chris and JesGolbez like this

On 7/15/2017 at 8:52 AM, rainman said:

I went 0-0 on a long day at work Saturday and Sunday. My foil pull was a cafeteria sandwich

Be sure to put it in a sleeve

rainman likes this