m_hoop

Greediness with Standard Thoughts?

10 posts in this topic

All - 

Something I'm curious about regarding other players - I sometimes struggle with a hilariously complicated issue. Starts off like this; I don't like netdecking (which is not to say I wont play variants on someone like SaffronOlive's decks), so I'm constantly trying to brew up something new and fun - usually combo-ish - to play. I also like to win and have significantly less fun playing a lot of mirror matches and/or losing frequently. It's a skill problem, mostly. That's not the point. 

Here's my thing; I love coming up with decklists, but I sometimes hate sharing them? I can't always figure it out. Maybe it's that I don't want to see 'my' deck played at some high level event and not piloted by me. I know, selfish and arrogant all at once. But, I'm just curious to know whether anyone else has that little bit of hesitancy when sharing deck ideas? Maybe only around the folks you'd actually play against?

M

I have had someone ask to see my deck-list at FNM a couple of times. Sometimes it has been my brew and other times it has been lists that have appeared in Top 8s of various tournaments; whichever one it is I feel almost "honored", especially if it's my own brew, because either the person thought my deck was fun and exciting, or he thought I piloted it really well and that's just a flat out compliment. The time that sticks out to me the most was when I made my own variant of Esper Dragon Control during Khans of Tarkir block. I decided to add green to it, both because I felt like it could help a ton and because I was tired of running the same cookie-cutter version, and several people that played the same deck were asking to see my list. They were asking me why I decided to run green, and why I decided upon certain card choices (for example main drive for adding green was to use Dramoka, I was tired of mirror matches taking forever and she would often end games against the mirror). You have no idea how dope I thought it was when the next FNM almost everyone that was running Esper Dragons had now added green to the deck for their own reasons, and I like to think I was the main driving factor behind that.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being greedy with your own deck list.....if you are going to a high end event and you feel like you discovered a hidden powerhouse of a deck that will shake up the meta. Then it is understandable; however it doesn't make much sense to me to tell someone "I would rather not" after being asked to see what deck I am running. This game is about inclusion, learning, and evolving. I love to teach and interact with other players when I can, and to me negating someone the chance to learn from me just because he might run a very similar deck the next FNM seems silly to me. Maybe the person was on the verge of quitting the game because to them the format was stale, but seeing your new, fun, and exciting brew might just make them stick around, and I would hate to think that someone quit Magic when I could have changed that. Yeah I know I am getting pretty dramatic here :P

TL;DR
I don't think there is anything wrong with what you are doing, Magic allows people to play how they wish, but I can't say I see much of a reason to be greedy, and I would take it as a compliment if someone wants to have you guide them through your deck.

1 hour ago, ComputerizedMTG said:

TL;DR
I don't think there is anything wrong with what you are doing, Magic allows people to play how they wish, but I can't say I see much of a reason to be greedy, and I would take it as a compliment if someone wants to have you guide them through your deck.

See I think you raise some good points. And, part of my close-to-the-vestness is based on a drastic overestimation of my own ability as a player/brewer. I'm casual with tournament aspirations. Trying to get better about it. 

ComputerizedMTG likes this

As someone who shares his decklists on Youtube, I guess it doesn't really bother me much.  Personally, my mind would be blown if one of my brews was deemed good enough to be played by someone else, and they'd surely pilot it better than me too. :P 

ComputerizedMTG likes this

I would love to actively see someone use one of the lists that I've come up with. I write about them for that sole purpose and do write-ups of friends lists as well. The best way to keep Standard healthy is for as many different deck lists to be out there as possible so that the worldwide meta-game is the most varied it can be.

I just want to do my part and contribute to that!

Personally, I take things half-way. If a big store tournament is coming up (Game Day, PPTQ, GPTs) then I'll go all hush hush secretive prior to the event. Maybe play it at the FNM previous to feel out the store meta for the next day. After the event, I stop caring and I'll post the list on TappedOut.

GenericBadMagic likes this

I think I'm inbetween here. I like my Venser brew and would love to see someone play it, but I also don't want someone big to play it and then have others think I "netdecked" it from them. 

I'm waiting for a modern tournament I can actually attend with schedule and location to pilot it and see how bad it actually is..lol

rainman and King of Jank like this

I’m not a pro, I’m aware I’m not a pro and I know I’m probably not going to brew a deck a pro will ever use. For those reasons, if anyone decides to play one of my lists, regardless of profile in the game, I’m over the moon. Also if someone brews just to beat my brew I feel even better for inspiring fear!

So this actually happened to a Content Creator (a fairly sizeable one) recently, where someone won a 5k modern tournament with the deck he posted. The creator jokes about it at first but then is grateful about it afterwards. But the tournament winner has 0 interest in letting people know where he got the deck from, even went on to call the original one a "loose" deck, when the changes were molecular between the the two decks. I agree it would be great to see your deck get publicity, but it must sting, even just a little, if you get zero credit for it.