And The Geek Shall

What are the games that you're currenty playing?

105 posts in this topic

I have been playing Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

50 hours into it and maybe half way done. There is so much to do and I like to compete everything. The open world elements are perfect in the game.

I've loved this series since the first one on NES.

Aurian and Lasraik like this

38 minutes ago, Temporal Magic said:

50 hours into it and maybe half way done. There is so much to do and I like to compete everything. The open world elements are perfect in the game.

Love the game but am yet to finish it. Spend too much time wandering around trying to find things.

Temporal Magic and Manticore like this

9 hours ago, Temporal Magic said:

It's been a real pain trying to get my hands on a Switch up here in Canada. Stores don't even get them on the shelves before they are gone and as soon as online stores get stock, they are gone less than 5 min later. Five times I had the thing in my cart at various online stores only to have it sniped before I could complete the purchase.

but I shall have a Switch soon.... ''tis in the mail, and I shall explore the Wild and it will be glorious.

once I am done riding my Chocobo around FFXV

So much gaming of late.

Bit the bullet & got Destiny 2 on the PS4 & a PS+ upgrade (The-Shadow298 if you need someone to fireteam with).

Hit level 20 & finished it rather quickly but have all the raids & such to do now.

My copy of NieR Automata also arrived today.

It lacks a dedicated Auto Save function & it's terrifying to realise how much you rely on them in modern games.

If you die in the opening mission you have to start from the very beginning again. Same with dying mid-mission (you start the mission & all the cut scenes from the start of the mission). You have ways to quick save & full save but they aren't accessible in mission to me so far.

It also blends action RPG with Devil May Cry combat & bullet hell shooters, so you need to be quick on the dodge button. It's also have a sickening level of hyper-sexualisation of characters in the game -to the point you get an Achievement from peaking up B2's dress a certain amount of times, causing her to dodge away from the camera.

Lasraik likes this

21 hours ago, And The Geek Shall said:

So much gaming of late.

Yeah, I'll admit that, too.

Me:  Hi, my name is Elovia and I like playing games on my PC.

Audience: Hi Elovia.

Me:  I don't think I have a problem. I mean, I can stop any time I want to, right?  I just don't want to.  Know what I mean?  Of course you do.

Come to think of it, I have only four five game icons on my desktop, but I have at least another 22 shortcuts to installed games in a folder on my desktop - just to keep them neatly tucked out of view (but immediately accessible should the mood strike).  Those are all included in the roughly 76 games currently installed on my PC.  My GoG library tops well over 200, and I'll just note I also have a sizable Steam library (back when that was my digital game distribution system of choice), as well as roughly a hundred pounds (give or take) of actual physical game media still on my office bookshelves.  So ... how do you like those mixed units of measurement?  Impressive, no?

So, what are the five game icons immediately on my desktop?  From least to most played (also from left to right across the top of the screen, but that is beside the point):  Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons 2, Mount and Blade - Warband (primarily for playing the Persino mod), Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen, and finally the latest ... Starpoint Gemini Warlords.  I spent this past weekend playing the last after picking it up at GoG's Big Sale Event (or whatever they called it - it's over now), and have mixed feelings over whether to write anything about it here.  I do mean, this past weekend ... in the sense like 20+ hours over 2+ days.  And I know you're going to ask, "Elovia, if you spent so much time playing it, it must have been fun, no?"  And I'll say, "... maybe.  I could have been in a zombie-like coma sitting in front of a giant science-fiction-themed Skinner box after having succumbed to evil marketing trickery."  Must consume ...

Spoiler

They-Live-29.jpg.55ea9eb71294f7eada0e6f2f37810923.jpg

(note: cheap, albeit convenient movie reference)

But I digress.  Now ... to simply click the "Submit Reply" button, close the browser, and launch another game session ...

Edited by Elovia
Boag and And The Geek Shall like this

I started Dragons Dogma.  I really like it, but then I found out there was another xcom expansion so I was lost in that this last weekend.  Gal Civ 3 continues to make great updates.  Ashes of singularity is fun with the kids.

Elovia likes this

20 minutes ago, Jag said:

I started Dragons Dogma.  I really like it, but then I found out there was another xcom expansion so I was lost in that this last weekend.  Gal Civ 3 continues to make great updates.  Ashes of singularity is fun with the kids.

I've never played any of the Xcom series, and it has been years since I last played Galactic Civilizations (of any form, but 3 was the last).. I probably have ~20+ hours logged on Ashes of Singularity (the expanded version - Escalation), and it was fun although I remember getting pissed at the campaign level designers for seemingly arbitrary unit restrictions (you can use this basic unit in this and all previous scenarios, but you can't use it in the next one ... wtf?). Would love to hear more about your experiences with DDDA (over in, you know, that other thread :) ).

Finally got my claws on a Switch!

• Finished Final Fantasy XV - despite the flaws with pacing and some story gaps, I really enjoyed this. I also love that they are continuing to give both free and paid DLC to both expand the story (paid), or fill in gaps (free) or just for fun (free festivals). 
  • Nier Automata - I bought it. Tried it. Didn't like. 
  • Project Octopath Demo - downloaded for the Switch and it really seems to have promise. Will give this game a go in 2018!
  • Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild - just started, looks lovely, but feels a bit lacking in some ways... hoping it feels better as I progress. Hate the breaking weapons mechanic though <_<
Lasraik and And The Geek Shall like this

Currently playing the HD remake of Oddworld: Stragner's Wrath on the Vita. I never played the game when it was released so I'm experiencing it for the first time! Humor is a little dated but the gameplay is pretty solid so far. :)

Lasraik likes this

On 10/4/2017 at 9:41 AM, Lasraik said:

Playing Destiny 2 when I have free time.  Still haven't hit the level cap and not all that excited to play it TBH

Same here.  I wish they would release some of these games at a different time of the year.  Football season, baseball playoffs, kids sports, Destiny 2 release, COD and Starwars coming up.  Not enough time for all that.

Lasraik likes this

Strangely enough started playing Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor the last few days, after playing Mad Max after taking a break of Witcher 3.  Also took a jaunt in Stardew Valley again to check up on things, only to find my Starfruit crop in the greenhouse had all mysteriously disappeared and am now having to produce more seeds to replant it all.

Jag and Lasraik like this

@Aurian I see you and I have had the same experience!

I bought a Switch a couple days ago as well, and of course Zelda. I also bought Bayonetta. 

I just bought Payday 2 as well cause it's on sale today. 

I love Shadow of Mordor.  Still LoL and Fortnight for me atm.  With the new Gal Civ 3 expansion waiting for some attention.

Last few days I've been playing Skyrim with 99 of the top mods. Having given it a half dozen hours i can't say it's different enough to justify any more of my time, although i really hoped it would. Perhaps the VR version will be enough, as soon as it comes down to a reasonable price.

This last week I (temporarily) set aside my adventures in Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships, Gentlemen of Fortune Eras mod (long name; see the thread elsewhere here) in favor of a recent acquisition - Thea: The Awakening (released in 2015) - purchased 50% off during a one-day sale over at GoG.  [edit to add links:  found at GoG and Steam]

Thea is billed as a turn-based survival strategy god game - which as a mix caught my attention. I've just been dipping my toes in this pond (less than 10 hrs all told), so I do not yet have a strong impression on how it will play out. The world is randomly created with each new game, and that means your starting conditions are too. I've started probably a couple dozen new games just to see the variability, and it looks like some starts will be a bit more of a challenge but only if you don't adapt your game play to the conditions given (as opposed to playing out an optimal opening gambit series of moves).

The premise is that you're one of a small handfull of gods and you oversee a small village of faithful while you guide/direct them through their survival by having them gather resources, use or craft those resources into things they'll need (e.g., tools, weapons, armor/clothes, etc.), and construct buildings. Your villagers will have to gain new members, fight and solve quests to survive while they gather and craft - and they can individually specialize their roles depending on the types of infrastructure you have them build.  The background context appears to be heavily influenced by slavic folklore.  Oh and for you MTG-dudes/dudettes, combat is card-based (which adds an interesting bit of tactic/strategy). And it also has both single- and multiplayer options.

It is interesting enough to keep me plugging away learning its hidden secrets, and I'm avoiding spoiler sites for now.

Edited by Elovia

Have Thea.  I think I got it when it was early access, and it was fun for a bit, but pretty shallow.  If you like it I will load her up again and see whats changed.  The combat was pretty interesting with kind of a deck building feel.  From what I remember.

I understand that the developers continue to release free DLC for the game, and there is an event editor included. I still haven't given it much of a solid run, but plan to do so this coming holiday weekend. It does at times have the "just one more turn" feel. I have only participated in a couple card-combat sessions and instead favor the auto-resolve option. But then again, most of my combat sessions have been against starter mobs (e.g., rats, spiders, etc.).

I just found a new game that Humble Bundle had up for free. It's called The Flame in the Flood, and it's oddly addicting. You are essentially trying to escape your demise in a camp that has been flooded by hoping on a raft and heading downstream. From there you must try to survive the elements and nature while trying to make your way to some kind of safe haven. I highly recommend it for an intermittent game.