And The Geek Shall

What are the games that you're currenty playing?

105 posts in this topic

On 5/23/2018 at 1:21 PM, Elovia said:

This last week I (temporarily) set aside my adventures in Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships, Gentlemen of Fortune Eras mod (long name; see the thread elsewhere here) in favor of a recent acquisition - Thea: The Awakening (released in 2015) - purchased 50% off during a one-day sale over at GoG.  [edit to add links:  found at GoG and Steam]

Thea is billed as a turn-based survival strategy god game - which as a mix caught my attention. I've just been dipping my toes in this pond (less than 10 hrs all told), so I do not yet have a strong impression on how it will play out. The world is randomly created with each new game, and that means your starting conditions are too. I've started probably a couple dozen new games just to see the variability, and it looks like some starts will be a bit more of a challenge but only if you don't adapt your game play to the conditions given (as opposed to playing out an optimal opening gambit series of moves).

The premise is that you're one of a small handful of gods and you oversee a small village of faithful while you guide/direct them through their survival by having them gather resources, use or craft those resources into things they'll need (e.g., tools, weapons, armor/clothes, etc.), and construct buildings. Your villagers will have to gain new members, fight and solve quests to survive while they gather and craft - and they can individually specialize their roles depending on the types of infrastructure you have them build.  The background context appears to be heavily influenced by slavic folklore.  Oh and for you MTG-dudes/dudettes, combat is card-based (which adds an interesting bit of tactic/strategy). And it also has both single- and multiplayer options.

It is interesting enough to keep me plugging away learning its hidden secrets, and I'm avoiding spoiler sites for now.

Well ... that didn't last long.  I played it a couple weeks and then got bored.  I might have just burned out on it, because it has a strong sense of "just one more turn" and I did partake in a couple very long gaming sessions.  The early game is sort of fun - where you have to get up an running to ensure you survive - but the long game gets repetitive.  And you have to play the long game to unlock additional gods which you can then play on another go 'round ... same song, same dance, different dress.  I will state this ... to its credit, the game's sole narrator does a fine job voice-acting the different characters during story events, giving each their own personality along with unique/distinguishing vocal accents.

So, going forward ... I just started playing Eador - Genesis from my library folder of "purchased but never played" games.  Reviews indicate it's a fun turn-based-strategy game.  So far it plays similar to the Age of Wonders series and other games of that genre, except without animated graphics (which just seems odd and lends a certain crudeness to the game's finish).  I don't own any of the follow-up titles, so can't speak for their quality.  Reviews indicate the more recent versions have better graphics, but also have game-killing bugs (e.g., corrupted saves) and as such are low rated.  /shrug ... this will probably scratch an itch for now ...

Edited by Elovia

On 5/28/2018 at 2:33 PM, Pasanda said:

Far Cry 5. Not very often at the mo

PAS SEND ME YOUR USERNAME IN STEAM

I've mostly been playing Rainbow Six: Siege and a couple of offline games. First, I got all of the Deus Ex games for $30 last weekend. The first two are to be ignored. They look TERRIBLE. 

I've been getting back into Human Revolution. I think I'll finish it before starting Mankind Divided. Anyone play it? 

The other games I've been playing are the Welcome to the Game games. Surprisingly scary and built well. 

2 hours ago, MTGMTB said:

PAS SEND ME YOUR USERNAME IN STEAM

I've mostly been playing Rainbow Six: Siege and a couple of offline games. First, I got all of the Deus Ex games for $30 last weekend. The first two are to be ignored. They look TERRIBLE. 

I've been getting back into Human Revolution. I think I'll finish it before starting Mankind Divided. Anyone play it? 

The other games I've been playing are the Welcome to the Game games. Surprisingly scary and built well. 

I can't explain why, but i can't send it to you. sorry bud. Nothing personal. Happy to send you those details for any other steam game.

On 28-5-2018 at 10:33 PM, Pasanda said:

Far Cry 5.

How is Far Cry 5? I only played the original and never finished it. At the time it was a pure FPS, and I didn't care much for the story nor shooting through hordes of the same monsters. Looking at this version it seems more RPG'y?

18 hours ago, Pasanda said:

I can't explain why, but i can't send it to you. sorry bud. Nothing personal. Happy to send you those details for any other steam game.

Once someone is your friend on steam....they see EVERYTHING!

On 04/06/2018 at 7:40 AM, Wolphard said:

How is Far Cry 5? I only played the original and never finished it. At the time it was a pure FPS, and I didn't care much for the story nor shooting through hordes of the same monsters. Looking at this version it seems more RPG'y?

I'm a sucker for a decent graphics engine, and this is a REALLY decent graphics engine. Without having seen it render a very different environment (such as an industrial setting), i'd say it's probably the best i've seen. The environment is Montana, which means lots of nature. Trees and grass is just incredible. I cann't fathom the power of an engine, CPU and GPU combo can can crreate just so much shit 70 times every second. And that doesn't take into account the physics, or game mechanics and logic, nor the fact that the rest of the PC is doing shit too. As a life-long technologist, i have never been more convinced that it's just fucking wizardry. And shit-all to do with science.

Oh yeah. The question. Erm. It seems ok. Just rolling with the storyline at the mo. The cult-based story is interesting for sure. The characters are coming on, and the lead baddie definitely has oodles of charisma.

It has some quirky comedy moments - i spent 30 minutes extracting 3 types of bulls testicles from bulls in a field, for the annual Testy-Festy. Probably clocked up around 10 hours so far, and don't feel very far into the game. 

I have read it is not the best received of the FC series. That particular accolade being given to FC3 and FC4 in descending order.

All things considered, unless you're impatient, i'd wait for a sub £10/Eur12/$15 drop. Fuck i'm cosmopolitan.

Edited by Pasanda

Minecraft.

I know I'm late to the party, but the game never appealed to me that much. Mostly because of the graphics, and there not being a real purpose to the game other than exploring, building & surviving. I'm not the sandbox type, I think. Still, I bought the Win10 version a while back for a mere €2,something and the kids started playing it. They don't have an Xbox account, but after a while they figured out they could play together regardless. So one would be on my computer, the other one on the laptop downstairs and they'd play Creative. With the vacation I was fed up with them hogging both "my" computers, and not being able to game myself. So I got the game also on my daughter's account, for her laptop. Finally, some time to get the old Battlefield going again! Curious what was so appealing, ánd now time to play a bit I fired up Minecraft for a "Survival" game. Big mistake! - It sucked me in and I played for hours.

Now all three of us play together in the world I started and I really need to watch the clock or we'll play way too long. We built a castle, have some animals running around in a meadow, tend to our wheat, chop trees and mine like there is no tomorrow. Our 9y/o is doing all sorts of stuff I have no clue about yet. Colouring wool with flowers, creating fishing rods, building boats. Our 6y/o mostly runs around wielding his sword, breaking stuff by accident, and asking for food. Just like in RL really. :) We laughed so hard today. He was "on a pro mission" (no idea what, it's a suprise) for me. Suddenly he types "HELP", so I run down (IRL) to ask what's up. "I'm dying coz I'm hungry." So I run up again, drop everything I am doing way down in the mine close to bedrock to give him some food, my daughter comes rushing in too to give him some of hers as well. All in the nick of time. So, we all go about our business again and not 2 minutes later, I'm not even back down in the mine even we get a system message: "Steve (coz he doesn't bother changing his name) fell a great distance and died." :D

5b68bd4ef16f6_MinecraftScreenshot2018_08_06-23_24_37_06.thumb.png.e6eea29253e11874867a513b18cf08ff.png

5b68bd577e6ba_MinecraftScreenshot2018_08.06-23_25_03_49.thumb.png.6b047b0a4ec0fe2807e1d2f7654660d4.png

5b68bd60575b4_MinecraftScreenshot2018_08.06-23_26_12_14.thumb.png.10803ce5bbdb7276447b643c1b89bb90.png

Only play pc games... Currently replaying Skyrim. Occasionally I will play GTA 5 online. Dabble in a little DDO when I have a significant amount of time to waste. Waiting for Cyberpunk 2077, which reminds me of "old school pen and paper" ShadowRun..

@Aurian got me an SNES Classic and I've been replaying the games of my youth: complete with my lack of dexterity and plenty of swearing!

Finished Super Mario World, Super Metroid, and  The Legend of Zelda. Now doing Super Mario RPG

33 minutes ago, teh_chris said:

Then I'll probably throw $70 at an alpha key to War of Rights and play that.

Interested in that now. Watched some videos, and it looks amazing.

Question: I always thought infantry lines stood much closer to each other? In this game they seem quite far away.

Minecraft was fun.  But I have moved on from it to Ark.  It doesn't have the destructible like Minecraft but it does have dinosaurs.  Both of my kids love it although I need to get another copy so that we can play it together.

Don't think i can continue with New Vegas. Gameplay, AI, and Graphics are so sub-par.

I'm fairly close to the end of FC5. It's panned out to be a really good game. I can happily not play for a week or two, then go back and have a blast for a weekend. It has some quite serious flaws in the story, but that doesn't seem to matter much. I've said before, but it's hands-down the most beautiful game i've ever played. I am parpetually in awe of the programming and the ability to render small universes, both in terms of life going on, regardless of me as the player, and the ability to create and display so much detail 70 times per second. Human character acting is especially wonderful, with both very characterful portrayals, and beautifully rendered bodies and faces.

I wouldn't pay full price, but defo one for the list, if you have a half decent GPU.

Edited by Pasanda

I haven't found a game lately that just grabs me, draws me in, and leads me to compulsively want to play.  After scrolling up to find my last post, I see I last reported playing Eador - Genesis and Thea - The Awakening prior to that.  Since then, I've played a string of titles - often for only a single or couple of weekends, some as little as a single or couple of hours - and then dropped them in favor of a new title.  Maybe I have AADD.  Maybe I'm not sufficiently challenged (intellectually).  Maybe, as @Jag suggests, I'm losing my ability to temporarily suspend disbelief (i.e., lack of imagination).  Or maybe games are just too predicable.

Since early June, I kicked the tires of the following game titles (in no particular order):  Age of Wonders III, Ember, Eschalon - Book I, Kingdom Come:Deliverance, Cultures 2, Craft the World (updated with the Sisters in Arms DLC), Terraria (for just a quick revisit following my Craft the World exploits), Banished (updated version), Carmageddon - Max Damage, Dungeons 3, Space Chem, The Flame in the Flood, Overlord I and II,  War for the Overworld (major release update 2-point-something-something) and Tempest.  Also tried XCOM - Enemy Unknown, but it was far too buggy and couldn't get it to work without crashing halfway into the intro for the first mission.

I'm currently playing The Bard's Tale Trilogy - Remastered (just the first in the series) and it is fun in its own way.  It helps that I played the game many, many years ago, and most of the enjoyment from playing it again is the long forgotten familiarity (oxymoron?).  Rather than have "a-ha" moments, I have "oh yeah", or "oh that's cool and I don't remember that from before" ones.  It's not going to win any award for high quality graphics.  It is a pure dungeon maze crawl where most of the action is in your imagination (counter point to the first paragraph) although there are cheesy sound effects and visual changes to numerically described attributes.

Pasanda likes this

Elo. Could you describe your perfect game, as in, what game would lead you to want to play it, hopefully loads. What's important to you? I get the impression you're not a graphics whore like me. So is it just gameplay? What styles are in and out?

Finished Super Mario RPG for the SNES Classic after doing Super Metroid, Super Mario World, and Legend of Zelda. Taking a little break before Dragon Warrior 11 and maybe replay Secret of Mana with @Aurian

13 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Elo. Could you describe your perfect game, as in, what game would lead you to want to play it, hopefully loads. What's important to you? I get the impression you're not a graphics whore like me. So is it just gameplay? What styles are in and out?

The answer is the same as when 1996 US Presidential candidate Bob Dole was asked on the campaign trail the type of his preferred underwear - boxers or briefs - to which he replied, "depends."

True and complete answers to your questions would require an in-depth psychoanalysis. I play games to keep my mind active (I can only stand limited amounts of TV), but at the same time to relax and recharge.  Most of the time, whether or not a game attracts my attention depends heavily on my mood and state of rest ... am I mentally fatigued from work?  Am I bored?  Do I want to seek comfort in the familiar, or take a chance and try something new?  Do I want to get elbows-deep into the nitty-gritty, or would I rather be served an experience?  Do I have the energy to be creative, or would I rather repeat well worn tasks?  Do I want to cook, or dine out?

Games that attract and keep my attention tend to be those that have clever features or ideas behind them.  I'm fond of good wordplay, especially if it comes with a dose of humor.  I am not as much enamored by popular IP or spin offs from pop culture (e.g., Marvel comics, the movie or cable TV show du jour).  I like games that are different, but their difference must be entertaining, not just different for the sake of being different or quirky.  I prefer games to impart a sense of progression, that shows that the developers respect and reward the time that I spent playing their product.  If I'm mentally tired, I generally don't mind games with a bit of grind ... because in those games I don't really need to think and I can let my batteries recharge.  If I'm not mentally tired and am up for a challenge, I look to play games that require strategy and/or tactics or games that encourage me to figure out their mechanics or to figure out how to attain the advantage.  If I have time to invest, I'll jump into an immersive cRPG and become a virtual participant in someone else's digital universe.  I prefer games that give me a choice, or allow me freedom to guide my own path.  I don't care for puzzles that have only one correct solution arrived upon through a series of exacting maneuvers, and discovering that solution boils down to reflex timing, trial and error.  I tend to shy away from games that rely heavily on completely random things or events.  I like games to be plausible, consistent within the rules established, and relatively predictable after you've discovered the game's inner secrets.

In general, the "do not play" and "avoid" lists include the following (with certain exceptions) in no particular order:

• online multiplayer games,
  • first person shooters (especially those in the first point),
  • metroidvania,
  • scrolling platformers
  • horror/thriller/slasher/violent
  • point-and-click adventures/mysteries (especially the "find the exact right, one and only pixel to progress forward" type)
  • tower defense
  • Japanese RPGs
  • anything Anime or Manga (I never gained a taste for it)

You're correct that graphics are not as important to me as game play (except as noted in the last bullet above).  I do have limits.  I can only take so much modern day 8-bit fat pixel nonsense; that just seems like lazy art and artists (of course, historical 8-bit is appreciated as the state of art at the original time of release).  On the other hand, I can only take so much stupidity or insanity.  Stupid and pointless games offend, as do brutally violent games that exist solely for the sake of brutal violence.

Probably more important than outstanding graphics, especially in those games shooting for graphical realism, is proper animation.  Poorly done and/or grossly exaggerated animation quickly turns me off.

The best games in my library are those that inspire me to create supplemental works ... spreadsheets or databases ... to keep track of characters, events, items, etc.  For example, I played TES:Oblivion extensively (to the point of burnout long before TES:Skyrim came out).  I created a character progression spreadsheet to help me strategize which skills to work on so my character developed in the manner I desired rather than through happenstance.  I also did a little light modding, by creating an alternative start ... because one can only go through the official start so many times with so many new characters.

I also like those games that impart a "just one more turn" feeling.

But the one thing that will keep me playing a game longer than any other ... the one thing ... is sharing in-game experiences with others who also play and share their in-game experiences in forums such as this.

TL;DR

I like it because I like it.

Edited by Elovia
Pasanda likes this

Great response and thanks for taking the time, and clearly thinking about it.

My first and overwhelming thought is how great it is that people with such different approaches, turn-ons and offs, can find a common place to co-exist, like this forum.

I pulled the trigger on Civ 6 + Rise & Fall this weekend. Saw a good deal and picked up the bundle for €30. Big mistake from my wife's point of view, great decision from mine. The "Just one more turn" still applies very heavily, and I've been pulled away from the computer way past midnight twice already.

It's quite different from Civ 5 even, and the first few runs I was unhappy about my civilization even before we got to the industrial age. I had too few cities, was only competing on the scientific platform and losing on culture, religion & military. On my, I believe, 4th try I got the hang of it (Chieftan level, quick game, normal sized world) somewhat. When this game is done, about 100 turns left, I'll try a longer, more difficult game on a bigger world. 

Dam you Wolph!  You got me thinking ... do I really want to dip my foot back into the Civ waters in advance of football season?

This past weekend, I took a small diversion from playing Graveyard Keeper to play a light-hearted, almost whimsical, RPG from 2013 called Driftmoon.  This little diversion began roughly Saturday mid-morning, and by Sunday evening I had completed the base game - an ultra-rare feat for me in completing ANY game these days.  That is not to say the game is short ... no, I spent quite a few hours figuratively riveted to my chair.  The game is a small download (~134MB) but don't let size fool you; it is packed with story, humor, and quite a few fantasy tropes.  Others have written before me - the game does not take itself seriously, nor does it expect the player to.  The action is fairly simple, but effective, and the game shines best in character interaction and dialog in furtherance of the plot - some of it so unbelievably bad that you know it was done that way on purpose.  Plenty of (what I call) British humor ... including a few eye-rolling moments that seem cheap and gratuitous.  You'll encounter many familiar puzzles, and some not so ... but they're all readily surmountable and do not distract much.  There are a few head-scratching plot holes that require a bit of temporary suspension of disbelief in order for the story to work.  And while you can save and reload to reset a challenge, you will probably feel like you should have done so more often but it really isn't necessary; you may think you've made a wrong choice, but it seems to work out in the end.  I only played it once through, but I've read there are at least four different endings and a whole bunch of different ways of arriving there given the multiple dialog choices.

Character development seems simple, and I'm not sure how sensitive the game is to allocation of stat points during level up.  Can you gimp a character by poor choice when allocating points?  My choices didn't seem so, and my character was "very balanced."  Skill point distribution adds flavor to combat.  Crafting is a thing (you can make stuff after you find a recipe for said stuff).  I only saw a couple pieces of gear with stat minimum requirements.  All else was usable regardless.

Game story flavor and tone were more "Princess Bride"-like than Baulder's Gate; sometimes you participate directly in the story, other times you read a plot-advancing narrative.

It's not a game for everyone.  Graphics are overhead quasi-isometric, with camera adjustment from anywhere from direct overhead to slightly lower on the horizon.  It's a graphical camera style that is uncommon for today's games, and it works.  Some may be sensitive to certain religious references; I tend to like my fantasy RPGs secular, but even the couple allusions of real-world religion (you'll know it when you see it) were not enough to break the 4th wall ... just a little mild eye-rolling and hat tip to the writers for trying to plug a sizeable plot hole.  By this time, you'll have already completed the game and the instances that come to mind are in the epilogue.

Single player only.  Mods allowed.  Mod editor included as well as mod downloads possible from within the game launcher (disclaimer: I did not test this feature).

Currently on sale at GoG for $2.24 (normally priced $14.99 - sale lasts a little over 17 hrs as of this writing) and well worth the two bucks plus change.  It would even probably be a good deal at only half off, let alone full (normal) price.

If anyone else has played Driftmoon, we can start a new thread and compare notes. :)

Edited by Elovia

100%ed Octopath TrAveller for the Switch, including hidden final boss. 

Played the Valkyria Chronicals 4 demo to the finish, will pick up the game when it releases.

Playing Banner Saga 2 on the Switch now.