And The Geek Shall

What are the games that you're currenty playing?

105 posts in this topic

On 27/08/2018 at 9:23 PM, Pasanda said:

I'm fairly close to the end of FC5. It's panned out to be a really good game. I can happily not play for a week or two, then go back and have a blast for a weekend. It has some quite serious flaws in the story, but that doesn't seem to matter much. I've said before, but it's hands-down the most beautiful game i've ever played.

Apologies for quoting myself. Finished FC5 yesterday. Unexpected ending - potentially epic in scope, but didn't quite hit the mark for me. But beautiful to look at, of course.

Overall, 72%.

Elovia likes this

Taking yet another break from Graveyard Keeper this weekend, not that it is bad or that it can't keep my interest, but because it is good for a few minutes here and there and, even on limited time, I can continue to make forward progress.  Lately, weekends have allowed more time to delve deeper into my game library and devote more time to games that might take advantage of that fact.  This weekend I'm playing Tower of Time, a newer cRPG that I picked up last week during GoG's Back to School Sale.  Initially I had a corrupted download (not the game's fault), and the game only partially played correctly with odd graphical glitches.  After I re-downloaded the game, updated video codecs (as recommended in a troubleshoot forum thread), and updated graphic card drivers (I didn't realize they were so out of date), the game runs fine as it should.  I only have a few hours in after all that, and I look forward to more.

I really like the party-based slowed time (slo-mo) tactical combat and the way it is implemented - plenty of time to make corrective actions, or use split-second tactical maneuvers to succeed.  The story, thus far, is middle-of-the-road fantasy ... "only you can save the world blah blah blah" ... and borrows heavily from the genre.  Graphically the game delivers an array of commonly found particle effect elements along with hand-created environmental backdrops, and even though the perspective is isometric fixed camera, the overall presentation works (it's not for everyone if that isn't your thing).  Lite inter-party banter between distinct characters evokes memories of Baulder's Gate.  Plenty of non-verb-number-noun side quests ... although to be perfectly honest, exploration and combat are the main fare.  Quick-save/quick-load before and after opening chests or other decision points to meta the results.

Don't think too deep about this one.  Some of the logic can leave you wanting.  For example:

Spoiler

My party had to find a way past a barricaded gate into an underground mini-fortress, the walls of which are topped with unmanned outwardly pointing ballista (note: we're outside the fort) ... hmmm ... "what does this conspicuous lever over here around the corner in this alcove do?"  /pull lever ... "ok,  solved that one, what's next?"

Edited by Elovia

Installed Just Cause 3 and Metro Last Light Redux. Worked through intro and control setup on both game, then checked the reviews. Metro seems older, checking... Yeah it's 2.5 years older, and both have great reviews, but Metro pips it, so i decided to play Metro. So far, not tooooooo bad. But time will tell.

Time for a bit of an update.   So ... what was I playing last?  /scrolls up to see

Ah yes.  Graveyard Keeper, Driftmoon, and Tower of Time.  That seems like such a long time ago.  So here, below, is a short list of games that I've installed and spent at least some time playing (note the rather subjective definition of "some") in rough order from oldest to newest:

Crusader Kings: Complete ... This one is completely forgettable.  Installed it in mid-September, and I'm sure I played it, but I just don't recall any specifics.  I should try to get back to it later.  I like the occasional grand strategy, and this one seems like it would fit (obviously since it is in my library).  Either I didn't play it long enough to get an impression, or my frail old memory is giving out.  [edit:  ok, I launched the game after posting this and immediately remembered why this title was so forgettable.  I didn't actually play it.  The UI is very crude and, unforgivably, there are no sound controls in the options dialog ... and the sound was way too loud.  Yeah, I could reach over and twist the volume knob on my speakers, but then every other game that I've carefully calibrated/balanced the sound down to match my speaker volume would be off.  No sound controls (especially music mute) is a game killer in my book.]

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun ... I picked this one up and gave it a try based on the recommendation of Jazz (I know, what was I thinking, right?).  It was pretty /meh.  Cheesy writing/dialog, and it's one of those games that I really have to be in the mood for trial and failure.  A lot ... and I'm not ...

King Arthur: Collection (including Fallen Champions) and King Arthur II ... Game play in both of these is similar to the Total War series, except with an Arthurian Legend backdrop.  /disappoint in no appearance by Dudley Moore.  As I played these, I got really busy at RL work and couldn't devote the time to them that they deserved.  So I put them on the back burner.  I'll pick them back up another day when I have more time.  They are fun in their own way.

Spellforce III ... Dunno why but I've long been a fan of this RTS/RPG series.  I've played most of them to depth ... err ... death.  I picked this one up on deep discount at one of GoG's many sales and gave it a go.  I got past the first mission and again realized I would probably need to devote a fair amount of time on it, so I reluctantly set it aside.  I was still in the intro RPG part of the game, and hadn't yet scratched the surface of the RTS play.  Wonky camera controls, too.

Warrior Kings ... I must have been going through a resurgent interest in RTS games phase when I picked this title up for cheap.  Graphics hearken back to the original Age of Empires (or was that Age of Empires II? - i.e., very polygonal).  Decent rock-paper-scissors tactical game play and its own unique features.  But soon my interest in this genre began to wane.

As I mentioned earlier, things started getting very busy at work (and still are, truth be told), so I decided that my limited down time would be spent on more relaxing, less energy involved games.  I dug back into the list of games I'd previously played deciding that familiarity would be less stressful than having to learn new mechanics.

Banished ... I updated and installed the latest version of this game just to see what changes had occurred.  I discovered that the mod community had exploded in proliferation, and there were too many choices ... some of which were reportedly sketchy and marginally broke the spirit of game play.  I probably wasted a couple weekends, but left wanting something else.

Craft the World (w/ Sisters in Arms DLC) ... I updated and installed this 2D builder/tower defense/whatever it is which easily scratched my itch for mindless time wasting.  I rediscovered why I quit playing this the last time ... it is too simple, dumbed down, and could easily pass for a tablet game.  I needed something a little more complex, so I dropped this in favor of ...

Terraria ... right, going to the other extreme - the 2D builder/explorer/platformer that requires two monitors:  one for the game, and the other to keep the game's wiki open upon it so you can have a general clue what you need to do, and which component ingredients to combine while crafting recipes.  This got a bit too complicated and involved for my limited time, so I went back to an old favorite ...

Starbound ... Yup, I even created a new character and everything.  Played this quite a while and then found myself just falling asleep in my chair as I listened to the relaxing soundtrack.  It's still fun.  As my workload at RL work evolved, I discovered I needed a creative outlet for excess thought.  Yeah, my workload was/is so heavy that rather than being fatigued and drained by the time I get back home, my mind needs to wind down from all the furious activity throughout the day.  Odd, I know.  And TV/movies are not a solution.  I just anger the wife by my constant nit-picking of plots and commercials.  She's banished me to my man-cave yet again.

Planet Nomads (in development) ... I generally have a rule to wait for games to be finished before buying them.  I broke my rule this time.  And I don't regret it.  The game is, for me at this moment, the perfect combination of creative builder, explorer, and survival.  The last is the easiest accomplished solely because the developers haven't made this a challenge yet.  The second takes the most time because the planets are huge; but then again, once you've seen less than an eighth of it, you've pretty much seen everything you're going to see - flora, fauna, etc. - except there is a story that is unveiled as you investigate human distress signals and alien artifacts.  The first was the greatest time waster of all in that, once I had a basic "economy" in place (i.e., shelter and a steady production of food, water, and mine-able ores), I could then concentrate on building vehicles, bases, and other stuff.  Currently there is no material or component penalty for constructing and deconstructing vehicles or buildings.  My kid watched me play over my shoulder one time, and he said it was similar to Space Engineers (for those of you who may be familiar with that title) except it is more planet focused rather than spaceship oriented.  I don't know how many hours that I spent optimizing my VTOL air vehicle to get the highest combination of ceiling and speed with different weights and engine configurations.  Eventually I did just about everything I could do (or think of) at this stage of game development and I'm waiting on the next update to see what more the developers add.

Lords of the Fallen: GOTY Edition ... somewhere along the line I picked this title up thinking it looked interesting; I'm not usually attracted to 3rd person melee combat ala Dark Souls, but I read this one was less difficult than Dark Souls which is good for my advanced age and degenerated reflexes.  Also, somewhere between Planet Nomads and this, my Logitech G700 left mouse button finally gave it's last click (god rest its soul).  I have a new Logitech G903 mouse and recharging pad on my Christmas wish list, and calendar-wise we're just not quite there yet.  So I ran down to the local Office Max/Depot and picked up a cheap wireless Logitech M720 (non-gaming) mouse.  It doesn't have sufficient reaction to do justice to play Lords of the Fallen.  I briefly considered trying to play it with my wireless XBox One controller, but really wasn't all that immersed in what little game play I did see and thus I have little need to play this title right now.

Parkitect ... this builder/manager title really tickles my spot.  It doesn't hurt that the game is a recent release, and it hearkens back to the Rollercoaster Tycoon (I, II, and III) series of sandbox/tycoon games.  I have all of those plus a few other similar titles in my library, so I knew this would be a hit.  And it is/was.  The Steam workshop is chock full of downloadable content.  I purchased my version of this game DLC-free from GoG which normally cannot access or utilize items from the Steam workshop.  Not to be discouraged, when I was playing, researching, and reading about Planet Nomads, I came across a little browser script that tricks Steam into thinking you have the game on their platform and you can then download workshop files to manually place in your local game directory's mod folder.  Awesome little script, btw.

UnEpic ... and finally, the cheap title that I most recently purchased on sale at GoG - only two and a half bucks(!).  It bills itself as a humorous platformer/RPG, and yes it is a platformer and an RPG but the humor is hit or miss (mostly miss as it is too obvious and tries too hard to be funny most of the time).  I generally don't like platformers due to a personal lack of twitch reflexes and timing needed for most platform titles.   I haven't played this one very far (just downloaded and installed within the past couple of days) and it seems pretty easy in the early stages.  Lots of pop culture references in dialog, which I understand are called "Easter eggs" these days.  Kids these days ... sheesh!  Back in my day, we had to hunt to find the obscure Easter eggs in games, or read in magazines about how/where to find them.  Now they just dole them out.

So in summary, I'm poking around in UnEpic, playing Parkitect when I have a decent block of time to waste, and waiting on Planet Nomads for new updates.   :)

[edit ... now with more linkages.  All links go to each title's page on GoG.  Steam users should be smart enough to know how to find these games on that platform.]

Edited by Elovia
Dunnar likes this

Finish dishonoured II, Death of the Outsider. Not bad, but you could tell they hadn't put the same polish into it as their main game. Also, quite short, but i was ready for the ending. 

Just started Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I've been warned not to expect greatness.

Hey, if people take my recommendations they deserve everything they get! :P

I have also realised that I have not played many games this year, including new ones.

Elovia likes this

Played Life is Strange. Fun story game. A bit slow, but only took a week.

Tried Labyrinth of Refrain, a dungeon crawler... very boring and I gave up after about 10 hours.

Now trying Octopath Traveler. @Aurian liked it a lot. 

Aurian likes this

This month's update on what I've been playing is going to be short.

I took quite a bit of time off work (for me, a reforming work-aholic) over the holiday break and sequestered myself in my man-cave for some roll-up-the sleeves-and-let's-get-down-to-it game play. I became the stereotypical gamer ... playing in my basement, eating cheeto-type snacks, unwashed and unshaven (some days) relishing in my depravity.

Subnautica:  l picked this title up free from the new Epic game store.  Free is free, and the fact that it was well regarded in reviews didn't hurt.  The game is a fun exploration sandbox/builder/story-adventure in an underwater setting which is different from most other titles that fall within this niche genre.  Great visuals, and relatively polished product.  I fully intend to get back and play this more fully except I've been distracted by a new shiny thing ...

No Man's Sky:  This space-planet explorer/RPG?/builder pushes a lot of my favorite buttons, and is the one I've dedicated the most time playing lately.  A telltale marker whether a game has hooked into me is when I start creating derivative documents and notes to assist my game play (e.g., specialized Excel spreadsheets, charts or graphs to keep track of game information or to plan for future actions and/or  character development).  Yup.  I'm doing that with NMS.  Sure I could just look up info from a wiki page or guide, but I've discovered some of that information is undated and even out-of-date compared to game changes from more recent major game updates.  To their credit, the game developers have continued to polish NMS and add fun elements that were reportedly lacking from their less-than-stellar launch two years ago.

Well, as you all know, I got my tonsils out on the 26th. Wooo. 

So, I did what any kid would, and brought my new Xbox that I got for me and mom and set it up in my room. I then spent the next 9 days doing nothing but watching Critical Role and playing various CoD titles again.

Black Ops 4: Way too fun. Needs more Zombies though. 

Black Ops 3: Me and a friend actually keep getting really close to completing the Der Eisendrache easter egg. Dear lord, it's a pain.

Advanced Warfare: Surprisingly, still as fun as I remember. Still kind of a terrible game, but an awesome concept. (This one was also sent to me localized in Arabic???)

Infinite Warfare: Got a lot of flak, and I can see why. Even though the Zombies was kind of a ripoff of Treyarch Zombies, I always have a blast with it. 

WW2: Played once, got bored. 

Ghosts: This was the one I ended up playing the most. Ghosts is one of my favorite CoDs, probably right behind the Modern Warfare series and maayyybe BlOps 4. Fun dynamics, fun map, cool campaign ideas. Plus, I dug the Extinction mode. 

All in all, I had fun while I was recovering. 10/10.

On 1/5/2019 at 6:01 PM, MTGMTB said:

Well, as you all know, I got my tonsils out on the 26th. Wooo. 

Hey that's at least 2 pounds of weight not lost through dieting, that you didn't declare

I just started playing League of Legends. I've had some experiences with Blizzard's MOBA, Heroes of the Storm, but tbh, I'm enjoying it more than HoTS. If anyone wants to add me, I'm still pretty low level, but I'm pretty good as Lux. My ID is SilverSlash223, just let me know you're from the forum.

Its the one game that I always have in rotation.

Disco Ninjas

Are you playing lux mid or support?

Edited by Jag

12 minutes ago, Jag said:

Its the one game that I always have in rotation.

Disco Ninjas

Are you playing lux mid or support?

Support, mostly run top.

1 hour ago, MTGMTB said:

I just started playing League of Legends. I've had some experiences with Blizzard's MOBA, Heroes of the Storm, but tbh, I'm enjoying it more than HoTS. If anyone wants to add me, I'm still pretty low level, but I'm pretty good as Lux. My ID is SilverSlash223, just let me know you're from the forum.

I took a quick look at your op gg.  One of the most important things to pick up early is killing minions.  You only get the gold if you get the last hit, so practicing that is a BIG deal in bots and in pvp.  Lux is a really good starting champion because she has such a great range that you can play very safe and be effective. 

Your goal in bots should be to have zero death and 6 or 7 cs a minute to start.  ~10 cs a minute is perfect.

Most important thing is to have fun, and be VERY careful about what champs you buy.  Blue essence slows down a bit after you start so use champion shards to purchase if you can, and ALWAYS PLAY A CHAMP before you buy.  Don't go buy a champ because someone owned you on it.  haha

Here is the most informative Lux guide I could find.  Don't be overwhelmed by the information, or even read it all.  Just look at the parts you are interested in.  What I love about the game is how simple it seems, but underneath is an endless amount of depth.

5 hours ago, Jag said:

Here is the most informative Lux guide I could find.  Don't be overwhelmed by the information, or even read it all.  Just look at the parts you are interested in.  What I love about the game is how simple it seems, but underneath is an endless amount of depth.

No link, but I'm digging Lux a lot. Won 2/3 games that I played against real people so far, last one I had something I had to get to tonight. 

Dat ult doe

Octopath Traveler - @Aurian played it, and it's great retro-style RPG for the Nintendo Switch. I just wish it would move a bit faster (Speech, battles, etc)

Aurian likes this

On 10/12/2018 at 9:33 AM, Pasanda said:

Just started Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I've been warned not to expect greatness.

So I am around 75% through SoTR, and have been pleasantly surprised. Reviews weren't great, with the general consensus being that it was the weakest of the three. It feels like the longest. It looks like the prettiest (although that could be the GPU upgrade), and it feels like the biggest in terms of play-area. They've also toned down those slightly annoying rush scenes, where you have to react fast to a choreographed scene.

Jonah has outstayed his welcome, being little more than baggage in a pony-tail, that needs rescuing from time to time. He's clearly in love with Lara, but just can't push it beyond friendship (although the game is not yet finished!!!).

The story is ok; still against Trinity, of course. Located in various parts of South America, but largely within Jungle terrain, and featuring several of the indigenous tribes, both as historical notes and to play with. I'm assuming Trinity will be wiped of the face, as it's the end of the Trilogy. That bit is fine, although I feel I was never taught to properly hate Trinity. They're all a bit faceless, and i suspect the whole series could have done with one person at the top to focus on.

The puzzles are not difficult, but you need to be in the whole Tomb Raider head-zone, for them to make more sense.

I would definitely recommend this title, even if you'd not played the previous ones.

4 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Jonah has outstayed his welcome, being little more than baggage in a pony-tail, that needs rescuing from time to time. He's clearly in love with Lara, but just can't push it beyond friendship (although the game is not yet finished!!!).

Calling it now, Jonah dies. 

Pasanda likes this

So yeah. Enjoyed SotTR quite a bit. The balance of main quest and side quests felt about right. I still had a few minor quests left before i decided to head for the home straight. It could have ended more epic-ly i guess, but it was warm and fine as it was.

Overall, the game felt less on rails than the previous two. I think this was probably because each of the main settings we a fair bit larger and had more quests emanating from them.

I didn't like the end-boss fight as it just felt a bit like a choreographed dance. It was hard, but for the wrong reasons.

They had fewer of the high-paced rush scenes, where you ARE on a thin path and you can't stop or divert from. One in particular was just stupid and involved a mud slide and volcano eruption nearby the main village, which causes utter devastation to all the land around during the 45 seconds of the sequence, then completely disappears from existence and history once the scene has finished. You'd never have known it had happened. Just sloppy direction.

I'd wait for 9.99 (GBP) and doubt you'd be disappointed - especially if you like any of the other two, or Lara's butt.

Jonah neither dies nor shags her.