Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BAM_Deadstroke

Pro Tour Hour of Devastation: Standard

17 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

As many of you know, today (Wednesday) is the final day before Pro Tour Hour of Devastation in Japan. Personally, I'm very excited to see how the best of the best have changed the style of decks in standard over the last couple of weeks with the release of Hour of Devastation, and if there are any surprise decks that could make Day 2, or even make Top 8. Decks such as Mono-Red Aggro, God-Pharaoh's Gift, Emerge, and many different "Bolas Control" variants; have all seen play, and have done very well in leagues. So which decks are you excited to see, and what "surprise deck" do you think can find its way into the Top 8 when used by the pros? Could one of them even make its way to the finals? 

1 hour ago, Orcs Head Magic (Jordan) said:

I think Grixis Control will be a big showcase. I have been enjoying playing and running at FNM and coming in the top 5 consistently.

I expect Grixis Control to be big as well.  

Would love to see something like mono red aggro make a big splash or a control type deck with Solemnity 

36 minutes ago, teh_chris said:

Who saw the choke of the century during the Top 4? Man, you can literally see the moment PV's opponent's mind melts in the video.

What actually happpened with Yam?

Heard people go on about it but not details.

52 minutes ago, teh_chris said:

Who saw the choke of the century during the Top 4? Man, you can literally see the moment PV's opponent's mind melts in the video.

It was brutal. In that kind of high stakes game for the first time it's natural to fall back on the habits learned over thousands of games- play spells as late as possible, attack first then do other stuff. Got to hurt when it goes that badly wrong

1 hour ago, And The Geek Shall said:

What actually happpened with Yam?

Heard people go on about it but not details.

Yam had a Hazoret in play, a burn spell in hand, and his opponent was tapped out.  If he top-decked a burn spell, he could win the game.  He drew his card and there it was, a burn spell...but he got excited and moved to combat, tried to attack with Hazoret with 2 cards in hand. It was pointed out to him that he couldn't attack because he had two cards in hand, and his burn spells were sorceries so he couldn't cast them, so he lost the game. He'd have won if he had played the burn spells first.

I don't know how you feel about Jeremy over at Unsleeved Media, but he just uploaded a video that shows the Twitch Live coverage so you can see the replay there.

3 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

Yam had a Hazoret in play, a burn spell in hand, and his opponent was tapped out.  If he top-decked a burn spell, he could win the game.  He drew his card and there it was, a burn spell...but he got excited and moved to combat, tried to attack with Hazoret with 2 cards in hand. It was pointed out to him that he couldn't attack because he had two cards in hand, and his burn spells were sorceries so he couldn't cast them, so he lost the game. He'd have won if he had played the burn spells first.

I don't know how you feel about Jeremy over at Unsleeved Media, but he just uploaded a video that shows the Twitch Live coverage so you can see the replay there.

Poor guy.

I saw the end result when someone edited it into a video but it didn't show the play just how upset Yam was.

Never heard of Jeremy from Unsleeved Media.

14 hours ago, And The Geek Shall said:

Poor guy.

I saw the end result when someone edited it into a video but it didn't show the play just how upset Yam was.

Never heard of Jeremy from Unsleeved Media.

It's Jeremy from MTGHeadquarters, he changed the name of his channel to Unsleeved Media.  

Poor Yam, that's rough.  The commentators got a little out of hand with the "Oh my God!  Oh my God!" after he top decked.  

I liked that Yam had a good attitude about it, rooting for the guy

Red performed pretty well, some of those cards are going way up in price.  

Yeah, it really sucks for Yam. We all make stupid mistakes from time to time, but to have it on full display at the Pro Tour would be the worst!  It seems like he has a lot of fans though, it seems like most people have his back and support him.  Y'know, I really like that a lot, because it seems like a lot of the time people of the MTG community are at each other's throats. Nice to see a bit of positivity.

(Coming from someone with the most pessimistic video titles ever, I know I know.)

I don't have the heart to watch the replay :( that said, he finished very high at the Pro Tour, and won a lot of $ and pro points, so at least there is that... 

Even the best players make mistakes and get ahead of themselves... it's impossible to play perfectly, but sometimes.. timing is just bad

Lasraik likes this