Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prophets of Istvan

Hello from Prophets of Istvan

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

My name's John and I've been a Magic-the-Gathering-aholic since 1994 (No, I have no power or duals.) Some of you here on the forum may know me from Twitter as Johnny Slivers @istvanprophet1. My life is such that I don't get to play as much as I used to, but I still want to stay connected to the game. 

Not long ago i started Prophets of Istvan on Youtube. It is essentially me as a weekly talking head discussing my life in the world of Magic the Gathering and other games from time to time. You will likely find me talking about Pauper....A LOT. I love playing a legacy format that goes past turn 0. While the content I share is nothing that hasn't been done in the past, I have made a very deliberate choice in my production method.

Over and over, I hear content creators at all levels preaching that we need more content creators for Magic. I agree. However I feel like there is a mental road block for many would-be creators when they hear this call bigger names in the community. If someone goes in thinking they need to be the next TCC or Mana-Screwed to be legit, that can ground a creator before they even get out of the hangar. 

It is with this in mind and some inspiration from Planeswalker Project that I'm keeping my production basic and easy to recreate. The equipment and goal is simple: Laptop w. camera, USB Mic, basic movie editing program, free compression program, YouTube.com - Record, Edit, Compress and Upload in 60 minutes or less. Big emphasis on Goal with the 60 minutes part, but I really do want to make that a regular thing. 

Now if my audience only ever ends up being a few dozen of my online friends I will be fine with that. Lord knows I talk to myself enough as it is. Might as well aim some of that talking at the inter-webs. I sincerely want my channel to serve as one of many base lines for new creators to reference as a starting point. I mean, you don't start climbing a mountain at the peak. No reason to change that logic here. 

So there I am. Hope it was a good read for you and maybe we'll banter some Magic in the near future. 

Laters, 

John

Lasraik, MPNumbers, Abaddon and 5 others like this

Glad to have you aboard! Youtube is a crazy world of high expectations, dreams and a cruel reality. You're going into this with the right frame of mind and if there is anything we can do along your journey let us know. There is so much to learn about the platform and obsessing over numbers that often we forget why we are doing it in the first place. As long as you can stand by your goal and have fun doing it then you'll have a great time making content :)