9 posts in this topic

Hello People,

Just a quick topic I wanted to discuss, apologies if this thread gets out of hand but I swear its not my fault.

How do you prepare your modern deck for competitive play?

I am trying out my new deck online but lets be honest people play weird fringe decks a lot on MTGO because its so much cheaper to build decks online than in paper. So the only way I am testing apart from having games against the lads is looking on MTG TOP 8 for what the current meta is in paper tournaments so I can get my sideboard down pat.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for preparation?

Many Thanks,

Jordan

Lasraik likes this

I usually look over deck techs that are either close to the same as the one I'm prepping for or look into decks that utilize important cards in my deck.  I'll go through and shuffle, draw and do a mock game to see what kind of hands I get or if I need to make any adjustments in terms of lands or certain spells.

Watching MTGO games of decks similar to the one I'm playing helps too, sometimes you'll see interactions or situations in games that you hadn't thought about yet or to look out for.  You'll also see mistakes they make in game play and learn from them.

Trying to remember the meta of the LGS or tournament you're playing in helps a lot.  Sometimes you'll plan for something specific and not see it at all in your meta.  Not knowing what it is makes it more difficult so you have to have a broad plan for your sideboard.

Hey Jordan,

Funny enough, I did a lot of testing for the recent creaYTors video using XMage.  Despite setting up the room as 'beginner-casual' I faced mostly tier 1 decks like Ad Nauseam and Affinity.  You can always give it a try, maybe even go into the chat beforehand (XMage has a chat room at least) to find someone willing to play tier/meta decks against you.

Cheers!

It's hard.

If you live in the local area you'll have an understanding of the meta and can work around that.

Otherwise, research which decks are doing well recent events because they're likely to be played.

All you're really looking for is sideboard tech and which decks to prepare for.

I'm guessing this is for GP?

Watching the Friday grinders is always a good idea as well.

As you said, mtgo is not viable as people will play random decks.

Thank you for suggestion guys I was just curious to see how others are doing competitive prep for tournaments etc as I have been so buried in trying to get my deck to optimal levels for play. I have been playing on xmage and checking out gameplay on YT and with the wife going away for a few days with the lad I might be able to get lots of test matches in to get comfortable piloting the deck!

On 8/3/2017 at 8:19 PM, MTGandME said:

Hey Jordan,

Funny enough, I did a lot of testing for the recent creaYTors video using XMage.  Despite setting up the room as 'beginner-casual' I faced mostly tier 1 decks like Ad Nauseam and Affinity.  You can always give it a try, maybe even go into the chat beforehand (XMage has a chat room at least) to find someone willing to play tier/meta decks against you.

Cheers!

We both also like using Xmage to test out decks before we buy.  I have been pretty pleased with the caliber of competition in the Modern tables.  

On 8/3/2017 at 9:43 PM, Rhino said:

I have a deck that's 90% proxies. I need about $400 more to finish my modern deck. I don't know that I like it, but it's one of the less expensive routes.

What deck is it?  There's got to be a modern deck out there that you can make with a $400 budget that you'll enjoy playing... especially because a lot of the investment is a land base that you can use in just about any deck.

8 hours ago, Breakfast with Nerds said:

We both also like using Xmage to test out decks before we buy.  I have been pretty pleased with the caliber of competition in the Modern tables.  

What deck is it?  There's got to be a modern deck out there that you can make with a $400 budget that you'll enjoy playing... especially because a lot of the investment is a land base that you can use in just about any deck.

It's a Merfolk deck.

On 8/21/2017 at 5:38 PM, Rhino said:

It's a Merfolk deck.

Oh ok, cool.  What don't you like about it?  

My main modern deck is blue-white Emeria Titan.  I love the deck, play it all the time, and have a blast, win or lose.  Lately I've been getting into Naya Allies, which is super aggro (the opposite of Emeria).  It's also super fun.  I think CoCo Allies runs around $400 right now, but Emeria is maybe $250?  And it's easy to start that one in mono white for much cheaper.