MindlessARTIST

EDH playgroup?

57 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I was wondering, with so many people commenting that they either got kicked out of their playgroup or left their playgroup because there was too much salt, why not start  playgroup here? I was thinking over Discord, Skype, or some other way that we can use a webcam and have a group chat goin on.

Ideas?

Lasraik likes this

Does anybody else here have Cockatrice? I know you can do EDH games on that platform. I haven't opened mine in months, but it is an option for people

1 hour ago, JesGolbez said:

Does anybody else here have Cockatrice? I know you can do EDH games on that platform. I haven't opened mine in months, but it is an option for people

I used to have it for deck building but didn't use it for a while, so I got rid of it. I use untap.in now and for voice, I use Discord because I game a lot, but I'm willing to go where people are comfy using.

12 hours ago, Lasraik said:

I'm open to the idea, although I've never played EDH :(

EDH sounds difficult but it;s fairly simple when you get into a game. I'm willing to help an opponent make the best move they can and I'm okay with helping someone in a match.

Lasraik likes this

2 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

I was looking at downloading it a few days ago- is it worth having?

Lasraik likes this

Yes, but with a few caveats

1. Play against people you know. I find it quite unpleasant to play against random idiots with maturity issues
  2. If you want to play against strangers, make sure they are registered users (and register, yourself)
  3. Cockatrice doesn't have a rules engine, so each player needs to do more work to ensure the game state is correct, including clicking the right phase of turn (Draw, upkeep, etc), making tokens, etc... I play Modern against one friend (his fave format), and stay away from more complicated decks for that reason.

Lasraik, rainman and Abaddon like this

1 minute ago, JesGolbez said:

Yes, but with a few caveats

1. Play against people you know. I find it quite unpleasant to play against random idiots with maturity issues
  2. If you want to play against strangers, make sure they are registered users (and register, yourself)
  3. Cockatrice doesn't have a rules engine, so each player needs to do more work to ensure the game state is correct, including clicking the right phase of turn (Draw, upkeep, etc), making tokens, etc... I play Modern against one friend (his fave format), and stay away from more complicated decks for that reason.

Noted, thanks. Is there any escape from idiots? They get everywhere somehow, almost as if there are millions of them....

Lasraik likes this

If we could get our own playgroup going we could avoid a lot of the problems we would find with 'those people'.  Except the moments where we inevitably get a little salty for a few minutes ;)

It would be a good excuse for me to get into EDH.  

I was thinking via Skype or Google Hangouts, there are folks who do that regularly from what I understand.  

On 3/11/2016 at 8:07 PM, Lasraik said:

If we could get our own playgroup going we could avoid a lot of the problems we would find with 'those people'.  Except the moments where we inevitably get a little salty for a few minutes ;)

It would be a good excuse for me to get into EDH.  

I was thinking via Skype or Google Hangouts, there are folks who do that regularly from what I understand.  

Google Hangouts wouldn't be bad. I was thinking some place where it's easy for us to see and talk to each other.

Where do people live? I'm in the US, on the west coast and I don't want to have anyone in different time zones lose sleep before having to go to work / do things / etc.

Lasraik likes this

I've ever used Google Hangouts personally but I think it might work for multiplayer games.  Don't have much experience with Skype, either though lol.

I'm in N.M. which is the Mountain Time Zone

On 3/12/2016 at 8:46 AM, Lasraik said:

I've ever used Google Hangouts personally but I think it might work for multiplayer games.  Don't have much experience with Skype, either though lol.

I'm in N.M. which is the Mountain Time Zone

I think I'm really liking Google Hangouts - I just need to get a webcam.

4 hours ago, MindlessARTIST said:

I think I'm really liking Google Hangouts - I just need to get a webcam.

Been asking around on Google+ and it seems like Hangouts is the preferred method.  Will give me time to get an EDH deck

8 hours ago, Abaddon said:

Is this still being talked about?  

I would still like to.  Open to any format

Hi All,

We currently have a playgroup on skype and hoping to get more and more people to join so we can have more games going on. Would anyone be interested in joining?

Lasraik likes this

I'd be interested depending on the playstyle and attitude of the playgroup.  I've never played EDH so it will be a learning curve for me 

On 4/9/2016 at 6:42 AM, sinsang said:

The playgroup is pretty diverse. People are generally pretty nice and pretty welcoming.

My only question to you is this: How do you guys play? Do you guys require a webcam? Because the setup I have right now doesn't have a working camera.

Lasraik likes this

Looking into webcams for our playgroup.  If I find a great deal I'll be sure to share!

1 hour ago, greatwarman said:

That website is blocked for me. But stuff like deck setup any any difference's between rules that are in modern or standard

Try this one: http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/196120-edh-rules-and-faq

Also, @MindlessARTIST found this webcam on Amazon for $25: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Live-5-7MP-Webcam-Black/dp/B004431UBM/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1460823249&sr=1-9&keywords=webcam

Or this one is $22 and has better reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-LifeCam-HD-3000-Webcam-T3H-00011/dp/B008ZVRAQS/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1460827444&sr=1-4&keywords=webcam