MindlessARTIST

EDH playgroup?

57 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, JesGolbez said:

Does anybody else here have Cockatrice? I know you can do EDH games on that platform. I haven't opened mine in months, but it is an option for people

I used to have it for deck building but didn't use it for a while, so I got rid of it. I use untap.in now and for voice, I use Discord because I game a lot, but I'm willing to go where people are comfy using.

12 hours ago, Lasraik said:

I'm open to the idea, although I've never played EDH :(

EDH sounds difficult but it;s fairly simple when you get into a game. I'm willing to help an opponent make the best move they can and I'm okay with helping someone in a match.

Lasraik likes this

Yes, but with a few caveats

1. Play against people you know. I find it quite unpleasant to play against random idiots with maturity issues
  2. If you want to play against strangers, make sure they are registered users (and register, yourself)
  3. Cockatrice doesn't have a rules engine, so each player needs to do more work to ensure the game state is correct, including clicking the right phase of turn (Draw, upkeep, etc), making tokens, etc... I play Modern against one friend (his fave format), and stay away from more complicated decks for that reason.

Lasraik, Abaddon and rainman like this

1 minute ago, JesGolbez said:

Yes, but with a few caveats

1. Play against people you know. I find it quite unpleasant to play against random idiots with maturity issues
  2. If you want to play against strangers, make sure they are registered users (and register, yourself)
  3. Cockatrice doesn't have a rules engine, so each player needs to do more work to ensure the game state is correct, including clicking the right phase of turn (Draw, upkeep, etc), making tokens, etc... I play Modern against one friend (his fave format), and stay away from more complicated decks for that reason.

Noted, thanks. Is there any escape from idiots? They get everywhere somehow, almost as if there are millions of them....

Lasraik likes this

If we could get our own playgroup going we could avoid a lot of the problems we would find with 'those people'.  Except the moments where we inevitably get a little salty for a few minutes ;)

It would be a good excuse for me to get into EDH.  

I was thinking via Skype or Google Hangouts, there are folks who do that regularly from what I understand.  

On 3/11/2016 at 8:07 PM, Lasraik said:

If we could get our own playgroup going we could avoid a lot of the problems we would find with 'those people'.  Except the moments where we inevitably get a little salty for a few minutes ;)

It would be a good excuse for me to get into EDH.  

I was thinking via Skype or Google Hangouts, there are folks who do that regularly from what I understand.  

Google Hangouts wouldn't be bad. I was thinking some place where it's easy for us to see and talk to each other.

Where do people live? I'm in the US, on the west coast and I don't want to have anyone in different time zones lose sleep before having to go to work / do things / etc.

Lasraik likes this

4 hours ago, MindlessARTIST said:

I think I'm really liking Google Hangouts - I just need to get a webcam.

Been asking around on Google+ and it seems like Hangouts is the preferred method.  Will give me time to get an EDH deck

On 4/15/2016 at 7:11 AM, greatwarman said:

Hey, I would love to play EDH but I don't know the rules. Can you guys tell me the rules.

Thanks,

greatwarman

Anything in particular you're wondering about?  There are some basics that can be found here

1 hour ago, greatwarman said:

That website is blocked for me. But stuff like deck setup any any difference's between rules that are in modern or standard

Try this one: http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/196120-edh-rules-and-faq

Also, @MindlessARTIST found this webcam on Amazon for $25: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Live-5-7MP-Webcam-Black/dp/B004431UBM/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1460823249&sr=1-9&keywords=webcam

Or this one is $22 and has better reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-LifeCam-HD-3000-Webcam-T3H-00011/dp/B008ZVRAQS/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1460827444&sr=1-4&keywords=webcam