Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Affinity for MTG

The "What deck is this?" Thread

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys, as an MTGO player, I occasionally come across decks that I recognize but I'm not 100 percent sure if it has an exact name.  Usually they are fringe decks that appeared on channels like MTGgoldfish and the like, decks that are popular and are played by lots of people but won't appear on a list of "established" decks.

I thought it would be nice for myself and other MTGO content creators to have a place where they can say "Hey, I just played against a deck that used these cards, does it have a name?" Naturally sometimes you just play against a homebrew and there IS no name, but it'd be nice to be able to just toss the cards up on a thread and see if anyone else recognizes it.

Also, if there is a website that makes these irrelevant, let me know! There are a lot of sites that track tournament data, but it's the fringe decks that get to me.

Lasraik and GenericBadMagic like this

So, to start things off, is there an official name for the "Signal Pest aggro/affinity" thing?  I came across a deck recently that used Signal Pest with things like Etherium Sculptor and Master of Etherium to create this weird mono-blue aggro beatdown thing. It was very similar to affinity, but with a heavy focus on aggro.  Is this just considered "affinity," which is what I intend to call it, or does it have a specific name? 

Some of the stuff I saw:

Signal PestMaster of EtheriumWalking BallistaSmuggler's Copter

2 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

So, to start things off, is there an official name for the "Signal Pest aggro/affinity" thing?  I came across a deck recently that used Signal Pest with things like Etherium Sculptor and Master of Etherium to create this weird mono-blue aggro beatdown thing. It was very similar to affinity, but with a heavy focus on aggro.  Is this just considered "affinity," which is what I intend to call it, or does it have a specific name? 

Some of the stuff I saw:

Signal PestMaster of EtheriumWalking BallistaSmuggler's Copter

Arcbound Ravager is another popular card in this deck.  I've always thought of it as an affinity spin-off... if I can bring in Stony Silence, must be affinity, right?!! B)  I am also interested to know if this is a specific archetype with it's own name.  

By the way... love the thread.  Great idea.

Affinity for MTG likes this

9 hours ago, Breakfast with Nerds said:

Arcbound Ravager is another popular card in this deck.  I've always thought of it as an affinity spin-off... if I can bring in Stony Silence, must be affinity, right?!! B)  I am also interested to know if this is a specific archetype with it's own name. 

Yeah, most sites are listing this as just "affinity," but I didn't know if the name altered with this current build.  For example, there was a white/blue version on MTGgoldfish that they named "Tempered Steel," which was the signal pest/affinity shell with Tempered Steel and Etched Champion, so I was expecting some kind of "Pest Affinity" title. Welp, I'll be titling "Affinity" in the title if I ever get around to editing this game. :P

Without Ravager, Champion, Galvanic Blast/Shrapnel Blast, Blinkmoth and Inkmoth Nexus, and the other traditional "Affinity" or "Robots" (usually short for Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots) pieces, I would lean toward a title of "Mono-U Artifact Aggro" to differentiate the core strategies.

Lasraik likes this

13 hours ago, Molimo said:

Without Ravager, Champion, Galvanic Blast/Shrapnel Blast, Blinkmoth and Inkmoth Nexus, and the other traditional "Affinity" or "Robots" (usually short for Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots) pieces, I would lean toward a title of "Mono-U Artifact Aggro" to differentiate the core strategies.

This is what I would think, too.  More of an aggro build

Played this Black/Green Standard deck recently and I know for sure that I've seen a similar decklist, but I can't seem to find anything specific.  Anyone see this before? I remember seeing "Dreamstealer Control" builds somewhere or another but I don't know if it ever became established or not. Is this a thing anyone has seen anywhere? Currently just going to call it Dreamstealer Control or Golgari Control.

DreamstealerLarger Than LifeFatal Push

Glint-Sleeve SiphonerGonti, Lord of LuxuryThought-Knot Seer

Lasraik likes this

On 9/10/2017 at 4:14 PM, Affinity for MTG said:

Played this Black/Green Standard deck recently and I know for sure that I've seen a similar decklist, but I can't seem to find anything specific.  Anyone see this before? I remember seeing "Dreamstealer Control" builds somewhere or another but I don't know if it ever became established or not. Is this a thing anyone has seen anywhere? Currently just going to call it Dreamstealer Control or Golgari Control.

DreamstealerLarger Than LifeFatal Push

Glint-Sleeve SiphonerGonti, Lord of LuxuryThought-Knot Seer

That's an interesting deck.  Was it utilizing the energy counters?