Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Card Stock

21 posts in this topic

There's been lots of talk lately about the card stock quality, have you all noticed?

Just cards sitting around now start to warp after a couple of months.  Even when you just touch the cards they feel cheap and thin.  I picked up a MM17 copy of Cavern of Souls at my LGS and was convinced it was a fake at first because it was so thin and flopping around.

I do not buy a ton of paper cards. Before creating my channel, the last time I had opened paper product was during Theros. When I opened Kaladesh boosters for the first time, my very first thought was "wow, these feel really flimsy" as I was flipping through them, and I had NO KNOWLEDGE that his was something people were talking about.

Maybe people didn't notice because it was a slow progression, but because I went from Theros to Kaladesh, it was HUGELY noticeable.

They don't just feel flimsy either, they feel grainy/sandy.  When handling older cards, they feel like they have a clear-coat on them, something to make them glossy smooth. Newer cards actually feel kind of scratchy as you flip through them.

Manticore and Lasraik like this

On 8/16/2017 at 4:41 PM, Affinity for MTG said:

I do not buy a ton of paper cards. Before creating my channel, the last time I had opened paper product was during Theros. When I opened Kaladesh boosters for the first time, my very first thought was "wow, these feel really flimsy" as I was flipping through them, and I had NO KNOWLEDGE that his was something people were talking about.

Maybe people didn't notice because it was a slow progression, but because I went from Theros to Kaladesh, it was HUGELY noticeable.

They don't just feel flimsy either, they feel grainy/sandy.  When handling older cards, they feel like they have a clear-coat on them, something to make them glossy smooth. Newer cards actually feel kind of scratchy as you flip through them.

Another thing that is noticeable, as strange as it sounds - is the smell of the cards are different.

Oh yeah, I saw this, they admit THOSE are printed poorly but not the rest of the cards, eh?

I don't know, people my disagree, but when I opened Ixalan cards for my channel they felt a bit better than Kaladesh/Amonkhet. At least, they felt a bit glossier. Not sure if they are as thick as they should be though, I guess I didn't pay that much attention.

After further inspection, honestly, I don't think it's better at all. It's still thin and flimsy. I was correct in that I do think they have a slightly glossier feel, so they don't feel quite as scratchy as Kaldesh, but they still feel extremely flimsy. Feels like they are using the same card stock but maybe the process of laying the ink has improved or something.  Either way, it's a LONG WAY from where it should be, and it's still unacceptably bad.

Fortunately The Professor over at Tolarian Community College finally made a video on the topic so maybe that's the push WOTC needs to address the issue.

Lasraik likes this

The problem seems to be getting worse where players are losing games/matches in sanctioned events due to cards visible warping even when double sleeved and being able to tell where in the deck the card is. Round 12 of a GP this weekend was one of the incidents I noticed over the weekend. It's just not good enough really - players shouldn't get penalised for wotc's issue. 

I opened Dominaria packs today for my 'official' pack opening for the channel. They felt...okay. Definitely more substantial than Kaladesh/Amonkhet, definitely smoother/glossier compared to the rough/sandy/scratchy feeling of those cards, but Dominaria cards still feel flimsy if you bend them.

Lasraik and MTGandME like this

On 4/28/2018 at 4:46 PM, Affinity for MTG said:

I opened Dominaria packs today for my 'official' pack opening for the channel. They felt...okay. Definitely more substantial than Kaladesh/Amonkhet, definitely smoother/glossier compared to the rough/sandy/scratchy feeling of those cards, but Dominaria cards still feel flimsy if you bend them.

The card stock quality is another reason I haven't purchased more than a couple of packs from the past few sets.  I wonder how many of the rest of you aren't buying as much (or at all) due to card stock quality.

45 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

The card stock quality is another reason I haven't purchased more than a couple of packs from the past few sets.  I wonder how many of the rest of you aren't buying as much (or at all) due to card stock quality.

I don't buy a lot of sealed product regardless, but when buying singles for my decks, I've been avoiding newer sets if possible.

Lasraik likes this

Fingers crossed, but I think they *MAY* have addressed this issue, or at least started to. I've opened about 4 boxes of dominaria so far, 3 from one case and one from another store entirely, and all of the cards seemed to have a sturdier feel to them. The finish also felt a bit different. Only time will tell if they actually hold up though.

Lasraik likes this

On 5/3/2018 at 4:19 PM, ChuckWagonMTG said:

Fingers crossed, but I think they *MAY* have addressed this issue, or at least started to. I've opened about 4 boxes of dominaria so far, 3 from one case and one from another store entirely, and all of the cards seemed to have a sturdier feel to them. The finish also felt a bit different. Only time will tell if they actually hold up though.

I hope they correct the problem.  

Going through older cards you really feel the difference just by the feel of the cards.

ChuckWagonMTG likes this

On 4/28/2018 at 6:46 PM, Affinity for MTG said:

After my Dominaria cards sat in a box for awhile, I must say they definitely feel worse out of any standard-legal set at the moment. I don't know why I thought they felt glossier when I first opened them, because now it feels like I'm shuffling through sandpaper as I sort through my bulk. Really, REALLY bad.

Lasraik likes this

16 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

After my Dominaria cards sat in a box for awhile, I must say they definitely feel worse out of any standard-legal set at the moment. I don't know why I thought they felt glossier when I first opened them, because now it feels like I'm shuffling through sandpaper as I sort through my bulk. Really, REALLY bad.

Wow, I'm surprised to see this.  Worse than any standard legal set at the moment is pretty damn bad.