Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Conversation Topics and MTG

7 posts in this topic

In a recent episode of @MTGZuby (can be found here or here on YouTube at 37:50) he was discussing conversation topics in Magic and how it may contribute to the toxicity on social media.  Other than spoiler season, big events and releases, do we have a ton to keep us occupied?  

Sure, we have pack openings, deck techs, combos, and so on.  But other than that do we have a ton to talk about?  The deck techs are interesting to those who play those formats but as far as broad topics there aren't a ton.  People with dedicated channels or Twitter accounts are looking for something and during slow periods do they hop on these bandwagons for the sake of having something to talk about?

Does the lack of broad topics contribute to the negativity?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts on negativity on the internet in general, even outside of the MTG community, is founded on the principle that people are simply driven by negativity to begin with.  When things are going our way, we don't tend to be vocal about it, but as soon as something goes bad we feel we need to voice our concern.

 

For example, most companies and products have a way to contact them for complaints, but most people don't go out of their way to contact a business if they enjoy their product.  They voice that thought by continuing the purchase the product.

 

Another way to look at this is the like/dislike ratios.  A Youtube video might have 1,000 likes and 100 dislikes, but then it'll have 50 negative comments to 10-15 positive ones. It means that people ultimately received the video positively, but the negative group were more likely to take the time to post.

 

As for the MTG community specifically, it does seem to be more negative when people are hyped up about something.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2017 at 3:15 PM, Affinity for MTG said:

My thoughts on negativity on the internet in general, even outside of the MTG community, is founded on the principle that people are simply driven by negativity to begin with.  When things are going our way, we don't tend to be vocal about it, but as soon as something goes bad we feel we need to voice our concern.

 

For example, most companies and products have a way to contact them for complaints, but most people don't go out of their way to contact a business if they enjoy their product.  They voice that thought by continuing the purchase the product.

 

Another way to look at this is the like/dislike ratios.  A Youtube video might have 1,000 likes and 100 dislikes, but then it'll have 50 negative comments to 10-15 positive ones. It means that people ultimately received the video positively, but the negative group were more likely to take the time to post.

 

As for the MTG community specifically, it does seem to be more negative when people are hyped up about something.

 

When there's hype, there are those people who are excited and those who complain about how terrible it is.

 

On 8/17/2017 at 10:23 AM, Aurian said:

People like to bitch and get confirmation that they're right about whatever they want to bitch about.

Maybe we need a positive-comments-only thread  ;)

 

On 8/17/2017 at 3:42 PM, Affinity for MTG said:

Okay, but only if we can create another thread to complain about the positive-comment-only thread. :P

Can't have one without the other I guess

MTGZuby likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2017 at 7:57 AM, Lasraik said:

In a recent episode of @MTGZuby (can be found here or here on YouTube at 37:50) he was discussing conversation topics in Magic and how it may contribute to the toxicity on social media.  Other than spoiler season, big events and releases, do we have a ton to keep us occupied?  

Sure, we have pack openings, deck techs, combos, and so on.  But other than that do we have a ton to talk about?  The deck techs are interesting to those who play those formats but as far as broad topics there aren't a ton.  People with dedicated channels or Twitter accounts are looking for something and during slow periods do they hop on these bandwagons for the sake of having something to talk about?

Does the lack of broad topics contribute to the negativity?  

Zuby is absolutely right here.(I went and listened to the segment, lol.) Disclaimer: sweeping generalizations and general telling-it-as-i-see-it ahead:

It's why I don't think I'll ever get to the point where I'm at 100% MTG-only content on my main channel, because Magic outside of physically doing it (drafting, deckbuilding, playing, working on a cube etc.) is so boring. I certainly don't care to hear 20 different people give me the exact same opinion that they got from some Star City or Channel Fireball dude on r/MagicTCG about card X or Y or deck A or deck B in format Q. It's flock mentality, and I have better things to read and listen to in the (now) precious free time I have. Twitter is much for fun the way people like TastySnackies or TravisWizard does it than the way that any of the CFB or SC guys do it. Even in my FLGS setting, it gets tiring talking about the same deck 15 different times with 15 different people. That's why I straight-up act like a hype man when I see some off the wall deck that does silly things in the ocean of Temur Energy and Red Deck Wins decks that are in my local meta.

 

On 8/21/2017 at 6:09 AM, Lasraik said:

When there's hype, there are those people who are excited and those who complain about how terrible it is.

I feel like the longer you play, the more jaded you become, and thereby you start seeing past the gleam of fancy releases and hype into the gloom of (what does this mean for my collection/what does this mean for the EDH balance/what does this mean for the older formats that get zero love nowadays). We grumble because we care about the game, and have been burned by changes in the past that we don't want the newer players to have to seemingly suffer through.

I am certain the @teh_chris of 5 years ago wouldn't be as critical of the game as the @teh_chris writing this post today.

MTGZuby and Lasraik like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0