Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JesGolbez

[XLN] New Ixalan Spoilers

65 posts in this topic

So, WOTC released some product information and the various promos for the Pirates vs. Dinosaurs set we're getting

b3wc13jc08hz.png.d15d99b0a695995c47b41b2797d7ba6d.png13.png.42c8211e5ab9752cbf122e9db310c3e1.png12.thumb.jpg.94396f285da47257402459d5513ffde8.jpg11.png.e55967e02d72162d3d61a0f869ace31e.png

1. Unclaimed Territory is a great budget card for tribal decks, for those who don't want to plonk down $50 for Cavern of Souls

2. Bishop of Rebirth = Mini Sun Titan

3. Burning Sun's Avatar is a nice big Flametongue Kavu

4. Walk the Plank = Flavour win!

6 hours ago, Temporal Magic said:

I want a thousand copies of Unclaimed Territory. 

I love tribal decks and this will be much cheaper than Cavern of Souls.

djnry

It'll be a great budget alternative to Cavern of Souls.  The only downside being that your creature spells can be countered with Unclaimed Territory, but I can live with that if I save a few hundred until I can get a play set of Cavern of Souls.

Temporal Magic likes this

On 8/22/2017 at 5:34 PM, Lasraik said:

Unclaimed Territory is an uncommon?  Geez

Walk the Plank targets non-Merfolk, interested to see what tribal flavor we get

Looks like there'll be some new Merfolk at least, about time too!

Lasraik and Temporal Magic like this

18 hours ago, rainman said:

Looks like there'll be some new Merfolk at least, about time too!

For such a popular tribe, they don't get printed often.

5 hours ago, Lasraik said:

For such a popular tribe, they don't get printed often.

There are not as many in newer sets, but there are 161 Merfolk cards over Magic's history, which is fairly significant... 

I like how we've seen some non-standard tribes recently (Aetherborn, Gremlins, etc)

Lasraik likes this

28 minutes ago, JesGolbez said:

There are not as many in newer sets, but there are 161 Merfolk cards over Magic's history, which is fairly significant... 

I like how we've seen some non-standard tribes recently (Aetherborn, Gremlins, etc)

Bring back the classics. The lack of goblins and elves in recent sets especially is unforgiveable

3 minutes ago, rainman said:

Bring back the classics. The lack of goblins and elves in recent sets especially is unforgiveable

If it makes you feel any better, I was a huge Zombie fan when Lorwyn came out and was disappointed to see most of the tribes from Onslaught return EXCEPT my beloved Zombies. 

Granted they've more than made up for it with Innistrad and Amonkhet, but these things tend to ebb and flow.  I can almost guarantee they'll see some action in Dominaria, since they were a huge part of that plane. :)

35 minutes ago, JesGolbez said:

Me too! Having non-standard tribes makes the planes feel super unique.  The Aetherborn gave Kaladesh a lot of flair, in my opinion, like Spirits and Ogres/Demons in Kamigawa.  I'd like it if every plane/block had tribal support for a tribe specific to that plane. 

I guess they've kind of been doing that already, now that I think about it.

Zendikar - Eldrazi/Allies/Kor
Innistrad - Zombies/Vampires/Werewolves/Spirits/Humans
Kaladesh - Aetherborn/Dwarves
Amonkhet - Zombies/Cats
Ixalan - ??

JesGolbez likes this

Just now, Affinity for MTG said:

If it makes you feel any better, I was a huge Zombie fan when Lorwyn came out and was disappointed to see most of the tribes from Onslaught return EXCEPT my beloved Zombies. 

Granted they've more than made up for it with Innistrad and Amonkhet, but these things tend to ebb and flow.  I can almost guarantee they'll see some action in Dominaria, since they were a huge part of that plane. :)

Me too! Having non-standard tribes makes the planes feel super unique.  The Aetherborn gave Kaladesh a lot of flair, in my opinion, like Spirits and Ogres/Demons in Kamigawa.  I'd like it if every plane/block had tribal support for a tribe specific to that plane. 

I guess they've kind of been doing that already, now that I think about it.

Zendikar - Eldrazi/Allies/Kor
Innistrad - Zombies/Vampires/Werewolves/Spirits/Humans
Kaladesh - Aetherborn/Dwarves
Amonkhet - Zombies/Cats
Ixalan - ??

Ixalan- Pirates, Dinosaurs (and Merfolk) apparently

3 hours ago, rainman said:

Ixalan- Pirates, Dinosaurs (and Merfolk) apparently

The 4 tribes confirmed for Ixalan are Merfolk, Dinosaurs, Pirates, and Vampires.

I was glad to have a break from Elves, Goblins, and such for awhile..honestly, it gets tiresome having the same tribes in every set.

One reason I liked Lorwyn was that there were NO HUMANS!! Even the Gobbos and Elves were different than normal, too. 

20 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

I was glad to have a break from Elves, Goblins, and such for awhile..honestly, it gets tiresome having the same tribes in every set.

Yeah, though I think it's okay if they at least make them feel unique on each plane.  For example, when we went from the metal-infused Krark of Mirrodin to the pointy Akki goblins in Kamigawa.

Krark-Clan EngineersAkki Underling

Spoilers begin!

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/ixalan-mechanics?

Oh, god...thanks to that major leak earlier...here are all the rares. Do not click if you don't want to be spoiled.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/behind-scenes-alleged-ixalan-card-theft-2017-08-28

I am just going to post the single cards WOTC is leaking, especially with new mechanics.

en_bdTtGwdBPz.png.2d8116dd690a3d431771b9857ee78d67.pngen_y4nmM488Eh.png.44aa72f352a014dc11357b32da788322.png

An artifact that turns into a land... and that frame... wow... that is what the Invocations should have been

en_gfDHwBBPHF.png.a7cb133acbf5d3a8fa3d5f87fe4181ce.png

Vehicles? *snore*

en_gohG04WiSz.png.945042eb9802628c8298c09387489298.pngen_vAYcL44vjW.png.0732eb99347a1a7331b06f500d5181e9.pngen_vdHw0swbOR.png.9fda92acb44506c20f9fcc948a9a073d.pngen_wO9xGNUMhW.png.9b4298e2f2f30b7f0a17b2271f6205d9.png

New mechanics

and... Jace the poofy Cosplayer... this art ... = facepalm

jace_poof.png.3d65ad69bb9421da6c42a16aee4185ab.png

Lasraik likes this

Should maybe have a SPOILER cut-off? 

Aurian and I just decided to look at them all last night, since it's hard to avoid with all of the surfing we do.

I am not really fond of the Pirates/Dinosaurs theme...*shrug*, but a couple of cards that caught my eye

1. Star of Extinction - Besides being a total flavour win, combining that with Stuffy Doll = Instant KO!

2. Sunbird's Invocation seems incredibly powerful in casual decks... basically free cascade

3. Rowdy Crew is a mythic? *boggle*

4. Hostage Taker is being errated to eliminate the infinite combo with itself... good job, R&D

5. Revel in Riches seems like a cool alt-win condition that might not be too hard to get to work... especially with that card from a previous set which doubles tokens

Lasraik likes this

I dig the Pirates but it seems strange to pair them with Dinosaurs, I'm sure story wise it will make sense.  

I know it's early, but the flavour of the set seems... jump-the-shark.

Dinosaurs? OK. Pirates? OK...but in the same world? Boggle... and then we get green merfolk and white vampires

Lasraik likes this

When I first heard that the theme was going to be Pirates/Dinosaurs, I thought it was completely ridiculous and stupid.  However, looking at the spoilers, I'm totally down with it.  I'm more a fan of the dinosaurs, but thematically I don't think it's much of a problem.

The general premise of the story, for those who don't know, is that Ixalan is a primal land that has a hidden city/treasure of some kind, and the pirates are there to search for it. So the "pirates exploring a dinosaur-ridden land" isn't so far-fetched, it's very similar to South American history actually, which was a haven for unsavory seamen (aka pirates), except the dinosaurs aren't extinct and the Mayan civilization hasn't collapsed. Kinda cool, actually. :)

CoopsWholeBox&Dice likes this