Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JesGolbez

[XLN] New Ixalan Spoilers

65 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2017 at 10:41 PM, rainman said:

Damn, I was hoping the blue legendary transforming card would be a build-your-own Tolarian Academy to match the green Cradle

I think WOTC knows how broken that would be :P

A few new spoils for today

vCJtGkE.thumb.jpg.40870969fcbed7b0af58a4784b61d248.jpg

Fixed Mana Drain

Weird.

59b6a8d065344_7ry4enu1m9lz(1).png.aa178e950a509c9516c163a7f6f7c393.png

thisisnotwhatyouthinkitis-front.png.b35e090c64dd2f3965ab9cb40e321d46.pngthisisnotwhatyouthinkitis-back.png.0acd1b32cd1430f096930b2924ba562e.png

Amazing for token decks

Lasraik likes this

Legion's Landing is interesting. W 1/1 lifelink isn't great, but it's not terrible and having a land that can pump out tokens with lifelink in the late game seems okay.  I think the problem with it is it's legendary, which puts it in an awkward place. You don't want to run 4 of them but if you only run 1-2 then it becomes less consistent (You really want it out on turn 1 and flip it turn 4-5.)

It's something I'd probably test in Panharmonument but I suspect it wouldn't make the cut. Hm. I really wish it did something before it flipped so you could run 4, and just leave 1 unflipped.

Lasraik likes this

2 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

Legion's Landing is interesting. W 1/1 lifelink isn't great, but it's not terrible and having a land that can pump out tokens with lifelink in the late game seems okay.  I think the problem with it is it's legendary, which puts it in an awkward place. You don't want to run 4 of them but if you only run 1-2 then it becomes less consistent (You really want it out on turn 1 and flip it turn 4-5.)

Yeah being Legendary is a bummer.  Makes you wonder why something like Westvale Abbey isn't Legendary before it flips

1 hour ago, JesGolbez said:

Dear Dog, this card in a burn/weenie deck

vCVWmN5.png.ddf4bb7aae2456168563f64f47adb323.pngHY80bpk.png.794ce358660f99a9daacf5a7491be8e4.png

Yeah, I really like this one! If your main goal is to flip it then it's just way too clunky, but with this one I think I'm perfectly happy leaving it unflipped. :)

Wow, this seems pretty awesome! Not as consistent as Scavenging Ooze, for sure, but totally playable in standard! Impressive.

deathgorgescavenger.jpg

Also, another pirate ship. I really like the flavor of this one, and it seems to have potential for janky homebrews. It can sit in the back safe as a vehicle, get big through exploration, and then come in swinging. Seems playable at an FNM level, definitely the kind of thing I'd build with in a casual deck.

shadowedcaravel.jpg

Lasraik likes this

On 15/09/2017 at 1:49 PM, Affinity for MTG said:

Wow, this seems pretty awesome! Not as consistent as Scavenging Ooze, for sure, but totally playable in standard! Impressive.

deathgorgescavenger.jpg

Is this part of a cycle I hadn't noticed? There's also the black 3/2 that works like Dark Confidant, though it is worded differently as a raid trigger so your new "Bob" itself doesn't have to attack

13 hours ago, rainman said:

Is this part of a cycle I hadn't noticed? There's also the black 3/2 that works like Dark Confidant, though it is worded differently as a raid trigger so your new "Bob" itself doesn't have to attack

I didn't see that, but it's possible I guess!  Will have to scour the spoiler, I guess. :P

The set is interesting, I'm mixed on the set up and will need to look at the story for once. However I will be building Pirates in EDH (replacing my existing pirates deck), Pauper, Frontier, and Standard (in case I play that sometime)

:) If anyone is brewing Pauper Pirates I'm all in for brainstorming and testing, etc. :) 

Lasraik likes this

11 hours ago, Magonista66 said:

The set is interesting, I'm mixed on the set up and will need to look at the story for once. However I will be building Pirates in EDH (replacing my existing pirates deck), Pauper, Frontier, and Standard (in case I play that sometime)

:) If anyone is brewing Pauper Pirates I'm all in for brainstorming and testing, etc. :) 

Well, there aren't many pirates printed in MTG history, but, for sure, you want the sorcery - B - Return two pirate cards from your graveyard to your hand. 

en_kQreNok5VK.png.39f6080be57b5098815520d2d24d5887.png87.jpg.ea8e4b3dc957dfc88a088dae22eeb41c.jpg

Lasraik and Magonista66 like this

On 9/15/2017 at 2:57 PM, MTGZuby said:

I'm excited to draft this set. For standard though? Not so much.

I don't even like to draft but this set looks like it could be fun.

On 9/15/2017 at 6:49 AM, Affinity for MTG said:

deathgorgescavenger.jpg

Also, another pirate ship. I really like the flavor of this one, and it seems to have potential for janky homebrews. It can sit in the back safe as a vehicle, get big through exploration, and then come in swinging. Seems playable at an FNM level, definitely the kind of thing I'd build with in a casual deck.

shadowedcaravel.jpg

Deathgorge looks pretty sweet, how could you abuse it and use the ability more than once per turn?

14 hours ago, Magonista66 said:

A little disappointed about the lack of Pirate creatures, too.  Maybe in the other set of this block we'll get more pirates