Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Using 3 ring binders and sleeves instead of boxes

5 posts in this topic

When I moved several months ago I realized how out of control my collection has gotten.  I love the collection side of the game, but I had to admit I might have a problem :) 

I've started to consider moving away from boxes and into 3 ring binders with sleeves.  For this I would go through each set (I have each set separated in boxes by color, type and rarity already) and pull a playset of each card then put them in sleeves and in a binder.  The rest would go in boxes I could have as extras that I could use in decks, sell or donate.

Problem with this isn't so much the time it will take (it will be a slow process and take a few months when I have time) but rather wondering if the 3 ring binders and sleeves would take up more space than boxes.  With the collection I recently was given, I was surprised how many cards fit into just a few pages when they were pulled and put into piles.  I took a rough measurement and with just the sleeves (not counting the width of the binder back and front cover which isn't much anyway) I estimated it for about 1,000 cards it would have a width of about 1.5 inches.  I will have to figure out the length and how many binders/cards I would need but I'm just exploring the idea now.

Has anyone done this or have suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks

Finished sorting the Revised cards.  Sorted by color and kinda sorta in alphabetical order.  I put 4 copies of each card in a single sleeve in the page if I had a playset, if not I put as many as I had facing all one way.  This way if it's a card face on both sides I'll know right away I have a playset of that card.  Used the top loading sleeves for now, ordered some side loading sleeves to test the difference.

Took me a lot longer than I planned, but at least after 4th, 5th and 7th editions my collection is pretty well already organized.  

IMG_0474.JPGIMG_0475.JPGIMG_0477.JPGIMG_0478.JPGIMG_0480.JPG