Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Affinity for MTG

[IMA] Iconic Masters Spoilers

27 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, MTGandME said:

We snagged a double Aether Vial pack! I had goosebumps when I opened it.  Was pretty sweet. :)

Wow that's awesome!  Were you able to record that opening?

Some nice reprints so far, I'm still hoping for Chalice of the Void

9 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Wow that's awesome!  Were you able to record that opening?

Some nice reprints so far, I'm still hoping for Chalice of the Void

I foolishly left the gopro mount at home so had to make due with the cell phone.  While the image quality is ok, it turns it it's almost impossible to open a pack of cards one handed, so no.  I did snag a photo though, and posted it to twitter.  Plus, The Professor @Tolarian Community College was sitting beside me.  He can vouch for the pack ;) lol

Lasraik likes this

5 hours ago, MTGandME said:

I foolishly left the gopro mount at home so had to make due with the cell phone.  While the image quality is ok, it turns it it's almost impossible to open a pack of cards one handed, so no.  I did snag a photo though, and posted it to twitter.  Plus, The Professor @Tolarian Community College was sitting beside me.  He can vouch for the pack ;) lol

There is no higher authority in the game than The Professor

Lasraik and MTGandME like this

5 hours ago, rainman said:

There is no higher authority in the game than The Professor

He was a really polite and pleasant man to talk to as well.  And he speaks in person just like he does in his videos. :)

On 9/10/2017 at 4:12 AM, MTGandME said:

He was a really polite and pleasant man to talk to as well.  And he speaks in person just like he does in his videos. :)

So, he takes 2 minutes to finish a sentence? :P

Lasraik likes this

Man I'm so bummed Chalice isn't getting a reprint.  This doesn't seem to include cards that iconic to include in this set.  Can't say I'm all that excited about it.

Iconic Masters but no Force of Will, Jace the Mind Sculptor, or even Lightning Bolt?

1 minute ago, Lasraik said:

Man I'm so bummed Chalice isn't getting a reprint.  This doesn't seem to include cards that iconic to include in this set.  Can't say I'm all that excited about it.

Iconic Masters but no Force of Will, Jace the Mind Sculptor, or even Lightning Bolt?

Out of all of those, I'd say Lightning Bolt was probably the biggest miss.  Having said that, both my sealed events were a blast to play, and I plan to draft this at least a few times.  My gut tells me this will be at least as fun as MM17 was, probably more. 

Lasraik likes this

6 minutes ago, MTGandME said:

Out of all of those, I'd say Lightning Bolt was probably the biggest miss.  Having said that, both my sealed events were a blast to play, and I plan to draft this at least a few times.  My gut tells me this will be at least as fun as MM17 was, probably more. 

I wish they would focus more on reprints and getting the best cards out there rather than making it the best draft experience.  Don't get me wrong, I know drafting is important but it should be secondary to having the best cards they can squeeze into the set, especially at $10 per pack.

Wouldn't mind as much if sets like this were less expensive and easier to create a Cube with so you can draft it over and over again.

1 hour ago, Lasraik said:

I wish they would focus more on reprints and getting the best cards out there rather than making it the best draft experience. Don't get me wrong, I know drafting is important but it should be secondary to having the best cards they can squeeze into the set, especially at $10 per pack.

Wouldn't mind as much if sets like this were less expensive and easier to create a Cube with so you can draft it over and over again.

MaRo was on record saying the ICONIC part was not the individual cards, but certain tribes: Dragons, etc... 

Still lots of pretty good rares/mythics, though... 

Lasraik likes this

Never have I been so disappointed before in a Masters set. Sure there are some good chase cards but other than that, this set looks pretty terrible. Will be avoiding this at all costs.

Let's hope MTG 25 is better

17 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

MaRo was on record saying the ICONIC part was not the individual cards, but certain tribes: Dragons, etc... 

Still lots of pretty good rares/mythics, though... 

I hate to be "that guy" but when I see the title Iconic Masters I'm thinking the best cards ever printed in Magic.  Sure there are some good cards here, but just seeing the title I would expect it to be better than Modern Masters, Eternal Masters and (yeah I'm going there) Conspiracy 2.  When I say better I mean the quality of the reprints should be the most sought after non-Reserved list cards out there.  Let's look at the most valuable cards as of now in Iconic Masters:

9-12-2017 1-15-39 PM.png

It just doesn't have me excited to pay $10 per pack when Mana Drain is the only card that's really valuable.  If I'm going to pay that much per pack I should have a few chase cards in hopes of recouping some money or filling out my Modern or Legacy decks.  I think they did a pretty good job with Eternal Masters and MM17.  Including the fetch lands was huge, it gave Modern a shot in the arm it desperately needed.  Eternal Masters had some fantastic Legacy staples.  Iconic Masters is a swing and a miss.  

15 hours ago, MTGZuby said:

Never have I been so disappointed before in a Masters set. Sure there are some good chase cards but other than that, this set looks pretty terrible. Will be avoiding this at all costs.

Let's hope MTG 25 is better

Let's hope MTG 25 is the best one yet

JesGolbez likes this

I think the set is fine, and looks like a fun draft environment, but the real error is in the name. Let's face it, it's basically Eternal Masters II. 

You also missed a fquite a ew reprints that are currently worth a lot of money! Granted, the value is almost all at rare or mythic, but still...

Mana Drain M $111.99
 Horizon Canopy R $74.99
 Flusterstorm R $46.99
 Ancestral Vision R $45.00
 Grove of the Burnwillows R $34.99
 Archangel of Thune M $30.00
 Thoughtseize R $29.99
 Glimpse the Unthinkable R $25.99
 Sheoldred, Whispering One M $22.35
 Consecrated Sphinx M $20.99
 Magus of the Moon R $19.98

Ob Nixilis, the Fallen M $12.99
 Kokusho, the Evening Star R $12.49
 Oblivion Stone R $11.99
 Serra Ascendant R $11.99
 Ryusei, the Falling Star R $10.00
 Mishra's Bauble U $9.99
 Primeval Titan M $9.59
 Lotus Cobra R $9.33
 Yosei, the Morning Star R $9.00
 Thundermaw Hellkite M $8.00
 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir R $7.98
 Knight of the Reliquary R $6.99
 Restoration Angel R $6.24
 River of Tears R $5.98
 Lightning Helix U $5.09
Lasraik likes this

On 9/14/2017 at 9:22 AM, JesGolbez said:

I think the set is fine, and looks like a fun draft environment, but the real error is in the name. Let's face it, it's basically Eternal Masters II. 

You also missed a fquite a ew reprints that are currently worth a lot of money! Granted, the value is almost all at rare or mythic, but still...

Mana Drain M $111.99
 Horizon Canopy R $74.99
 Flusterstorm R $46.99
 Ancestral Vision R $45.00
 Grove of the Burnwillows R $34.99
 Archangel of Thune M $30.00
 Thoughtseize R $29.99
 Glimpse the Unthinkable R $25.99
 Sheoldred, Whispering One M $22.35
 Consecrated Sphinx M $20.99
 Magus of the Moon R $19.98

Ob Nixilis, the Fallen M $12.99
 Kokusho, the Evening Star R $12.49
 Oblivion Stone R $11.99
 Serra Ascendant R $11.99
 Ryusei, the Falling Star R $10.00
 Mishra's Bauble U $9.99
 Primeval Titan M $9.59
 Lotus Cobra R $9.33
 Yosei, the Morning Star R $9.00
 Thundermaw Hellkite M $8.00
 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir R $7.98
 Knight of the Reliquary R $6.99
 Restoration Angel R $6.24
 River of Tears R $5.98
 Lightning Helix U $5.09

Yeah my mistake, it looks like MTGStocks didn't have all the cards updated yet.  I hate to be "that guy" who worries about the financial side of it instead of just enjoying the set for what it is but it's just a reality for some (most?) players that we expect a few cards that are worth the $10 a pack investment/gamble.

I also have to add that I'm coming from a perspective of buying packs, not singles.  If we're talking about buying singles then it's not bad.  Especially for Cubes.  But even if I'm just buying singles looking to fill out Modern and Legacy decks, other than Horizon Canopy and Mana Drain there's not that much to be excited about.  I'll probably pick up a Thoughtseize or two when the price dips.

http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-set/iconic-masters/

Here are the cards worth +$10.  7 cards worth $20 or more

10-24-2017 2-23-56 PM.png

Didn't hear much hype around this set. 

I'm still on the side of there needs to be better reprints in sets like this to justify the $10 per pack price tag.  Not only the EV of the set but also getting the reprints Eternal formats need to get more players into them.  

JesGolbez likes this

Just the knowledge that the reprints are coming has suppressed some values.

Honestly, the uncommons need to provide value, otherwise it becomes Modern Masters 2, where you pray for a good mythic... this set looks OK so far, but not incredible, for $ value. 

3 hours ago, Lasraik said:

About a month after it's release, here are the cards worth +$10.  7 cards worth $20 or more

10-24-2017 2-23-56 PM.png

Didn't hear much hype around this set when it was released or even now.  I remember MM17 getting released and I binged watched box opening videos on YouTube (probably burned myself out on box openings for a while) but I don't remember seeing many Iconic Masters boxes at all.  Even locally I didn't hear much hype around this set.  

I'm still on the side of there needs to be better reprints in sets like this to justify the $10 per pack price tag.  Not only the EV of the set but also getting the reprints Eternal formats need to get more players into them.  

That's because the boxes haven't been released.  The set was 'spoiled' at HasCon, not released there. :)   

Set releases on 17 November, like 3 weeks from now. :)

https://magic.wizards.com/en/products/iconic-masters

1 hour ago, MTGandME said:

That's because the boxes haven't been released.  The set was 'spoiled' at HasCon, not released there. :)   

Set releases on 17 November, like 3 weeks from now. :)

https://magic.wizards.com/en/products/iconic-masters

Shows you how out of the loop I am :D 

MTGandME likes this