Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

UCS Falcon

44 posts in this topic

Is anyone tempted to shell out the £650 needed to secure the most complex model Lego have ever sold? Sales go live tomorrow for Lego VIP customers.

https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Millennium-Falcon-75192

I'm thinking of buying two; one to build and one to sell in a few months to offset the cost of buying the other. I know some people frown upon this sort of behaviour. The way i justify it, is that i can't buy one for myself unless i can offset the high cost. My wife is none-too impressed with the outlay, and this might sweeten the deal.

ChuckWagonMTG likes this

No ... but I probably have about $2000 worth of legos in the house.  That is all my son wanted for years.  Once Lego Friends came out, that is all my daughter wanted.

I often wondered if it would be cheaper to buy a 3D printer and make your own.

Do that many people really buy completed sets?

We talked about it being released with friends who also love Star Wars. But none of us are interested in buying it. We have an X-Wing model and a Yellow Submarine made of LEGO. Both sit on top of the dinner cabinet and have to be cleaned from time to time. Other than that, they don't do much, much to the displeasure of our son. "LEGO is meant to be played with," he says. And it's hard to disagree. From his own money he recently bought, and built, Yoda's starfighter (75168), and managed not to wreck it untill now. If he's just a tiny bit older I'll let him have the X-Wing atleast.

So if we're going to buy a Millenium Falcon, it's going to be the €150 one for his birthday some day. And at that price it'll be a family effort.

We have had several of the star wars models.  A wing, X-wing, some cargo ship.  We build them, have a lot of fun, then eventually a younger kid gets a hold of it, pieces get lost and they just end up in the general mix.  We are just not collectors I guess.

Edited by Jag
Boag likes this

2 hours ago, Dunnar said:

Do that many people really buy completed sets?

I probably wasn't clear.

One was to build and display. I have a few built models that i love.

One is to sell on as an un-built kit. They are already 30% more expensive than retail and, as a limited edition, the price will go up. The last master series model falcon (which is inferior to this), has sold in an unbuilt state for around £3000. The Saturn V that i bought and built a few months ago, is around double what i paid for it on ebay.

Thanks for making me feel better. 

The Lego login servers went tits-up at 7.30 when the Falcon went up for sale. I couldn't log in until 8.15, But managed to secure 2 of the beasts by persisting on the way to work.

Woot. They arrived yesterday. Anyone fancy making an offer on the 2nd box, i'll make a reduction for guildies :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253205489582

Seriously, they are massive. 14kg per box. I reckon this is going to take months.

Dunnar likes this

It is affordable, only like 30$ because you have to mount the canvas on the frames yourself.  There is a small version takes 6 1/2  feet or so of wall space and the larger one is 9 1/2 feet.  I think you could build your own frames for another 20-30 bucks.

Sold the UCS Falcon yesterday. Got the full grand. So the keeper now cost £300 - a lot more palatable. Although i did wonder for a minute whether i should have bought 3 (the limit). Then realised it was the capitalist profiteer in me. I'm happy.

Moved on somewhat. Falcons feet on. Most of the internal floors in. The infamous chess set is in, with Han, Leia and C3PO playing, while Chewie watches the con. Bottom of the central tongue. Engines just in, but not shown in pic. The serious greebling has started. About 1/4 to 1/3 through the build, and it is truly a work of genius imo. I cannot fathom the work that went into designing this toy and designing the way it's put together. But I still dream that i could have been part of it.,

First pic was taken several hours earlier in the build than the second.

20171111_175809.jpg

20171112_170819.jpg

Edited by Pasanda
Jag and Dunnar like this