Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

UCS Falcon

44 posts in this topic

The first nostril is in place and i finally have an idea of the size of the beast... and it's BIIIG.

Small child in shot for perspective.

20171120_193352.jpg

Fantastic greebling on the falcons nose - and it's not many times one get to say that in ones life. I can tell you.

20171120_182400.jpg

Edited by Pasanda
Dunnar likes this

Both nostril frames now on, and 6 infill base panels done too. About 6 hours of no-rush building to get that lot done. Hard to see the progress, but if you compare the two photos there were lots of blank spaces within the overall frame shape.

IMG_20171126_180948.jpg

Edited by Pasanda

Don't short change yourself, I can see a massive amount of progress.  How many hours do you estimate to have in it?

How many boxes do you have to go?

Are you gluing the pieces as you go?

How much is Fin helping?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is really fascinating.  I remember spending 6+ hours on one.  Can't imagine this type of project.  Most impressive.

7 hours ago, Dunnar said:

Don't short change yourself, I can see a massive amount of progress.  How many hours do you estimate to have in it?

How many boxes do you have to go?

Are you gluing the pieces as you go?

How much is Fin helping?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is really fascinating.  I remember spending 6+ hours on one.  Can't imagine this type of project.  Most impressive.

That's good. Feels like a lot.  I've built some big kits before but at half way through it's  already way past anything else.  

The Saturn 5 kit was a big kit at 1969 pieces.  This is 4 times bigger. 

Probably 20 hours spent to date.  But I am deliberately taking my time.  

4 boxes.  Almost. 2 done. 

I have tactically glued in around 10 spots.  Glad I have too; one criticism is that its structural integrity isn't great.  Turning it over is heart stopping.  I'm hoping that putting the roof on will strengthen it. 

Fin doesn't seem interested.  The only time he's been near it he broke bits off and I wasn't happy.  Maybe that's why... 

Dunnar likes this

Fin,

You don't know me, but your mom has several times.  I wanted to reach out to you and let you know that things are going to be OK.  I know that big lego set looks like it is a toy, but it is most certainly not.  These things can sometimes be confusing.  Here are a couple things to keep in mind that might help you through this difficult time.

1.  You are just as important as your Dad's lego set.  I know he has spent more time with it than with you over these last few weeks, but I promise he only loves you a little less.

2.  When you touch his expensive toy, it is like you are touching his special place.  It might seem OK at first, but it is NOT.  He isn't really angry at you, he is just scared.  Don't touch it.

3.  If you want him to love you again, stand by his side while he is playing with his legos and offer support.  I know you will be bored out of your mind as he frets over the proper placement of those little colored blocks, but be patient.  If you stand there long enough he will come back to you.  If that doesn't work, then while he is asleep, sneak down and take just one piece.  Hide it very well in the general vicinity of the work table.  When he loses his shit, wait a while and enjoy the show, then help him find it.  You will be his hero again.

I know this is hard on you.  Tell everyone you know that your Dad has become lost in his star wars toy, and that you don't even know him anymore.  Someone will be sure to take you and give you the life you have dreamed of.

Good Luck Son (maybe, I don't really remember that night),

Jag Darktide

p.s. If you did happen, by accident, to touch his special place, tell your Mom you need penicillin ASAP.  Trust me.

Dunnar, Elovia, Boag and 1 other like this

5 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Fin doesn't seem interested.  The only time he's been near it he broke bits off and I wasn't happy.  Maybe that's why...

I remember my son trying to 'help' on one of his lego sets.  Wasn't near as complex as what you have.

Jag ... hilarious.  Well done.

Jag likes this

Brilliant Jag. Just read it out to a few colleagues. Well done.

I am actually going to try to read that to Fin. Leaving out the obvious bits, as that will just raise more awkward questions.

AND... It's fuckin' LEGO - not LEGOS.

If you are holding more than one carton of Tropicana, you're not holding Tropicanas. Similarly, if you buy two bars of Kit-Kat, you don't buy 'Twixes'. When you use brand names in this way, you never pluralise the brand name itself, you rephrase the sentence to describe the item and then use the brand name. Cartons of Tropicana, Bars of Twix, or just two Twix please.

So Lego becomes Lego sets, or Lego bricks, or you can just say Lego.

Jag likes this

https://painintheenglish.com/case/4639

LEGOs — Is the Plural form of LEGO incorrect?

On this page (#18), the writer says, rather authoritatively, that “LEGOs” (plural of LEGO) is wrong because “LEGO” is a company name (a proper noun). I disagree. Firstly, there is no grammatical rule that says a proper noun cannot be used to refer to a countable object. “Mac” is a proper noun. It’s a name of a product but it is also used to refer to the individual Macintosh machines, i.e., “Macs”. Think of car companies, like Honda, BMW, and Porsche. When we refer to their cars, we say, “Hondas”, “BMWs”, and “Porsches”. BMW’s own site uses the plural form: “Today’s BMWs are equipped with...” And, Porsche’s own site says, “Barely any two Porsches are identical.”

So, I would say “LEGOs” is perfectly fine if you are referring to the pieces of LEGO. It is however wrong to say “LEGOs”, if you are referring to the brand/company. 

And, this should be a separate issue from how the company officially uses the term for their marketing and communication. They could have their own policies but that does not make “LEGOs” grammatically incorrect. The correct use of a word is not determine by the person who coined it.

Piss off you bell end.  You have lost the plot. 

edit. Was the cursing part up to par?  Cursing in the Queens English feels...unsatisfying.

However it does seem I should be capitalizing LEGOs when ever it is used.  Lesson learned.

Edited by Jag
Elovia and Jazz like this

1.  Just have to connect the dots.  Lego is a Danish word, right?  Which has become part of the English language.  Since its English, we can be free to Americanize it ... so legos it is!

2.  Besides, legos are technically bricks.  And nobody says the plural of brick is brick.  Its bricks ... so its legos

7 minutes ago, Jag said:

edit. Was the cursing part up to par?  Cursing in the Queens English feels...unsatisfying.

I hear there is going to be an American in the royal house now.  Cursing in the Queens English is about to get more colorful.  I can see it now ... An American Queen.  Picture on the money and everything.

Jazz and Jag like this

51 minutes ago, Jag said:

https://painintheenglish.com/case/4639

However it does seem I should be capitalizing LEGOs when ever it is used.  Lesson learned.

Those are not products. They are the companies that make the products. Which, admittedly, is also true of Lego. It's just coincidental that when we use Lego, we're talking about the product and not the company.

P.S. Bell-End has to be one my favourite put-downs. Not come across anyone but Brits using it though.

Jag and Jazz like this

Last word from me.

Lego - yes the company that make the fuckin' stuff say it should be pronounced fuckin Lego. I cannot find the source, but i say it's true.

So fuck you, you fuckin' fucks. (Great song by Hot Chip).

Edited by Pasanda
Jazz and Jag like this