Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Affinity for MTG

Iconic Masters "Downshifted" Commons!

8 posts in this topic

Welp, it's another "masters" set, and you know what that means. Reprinted uncommons/rares that get downshifted into the common slot!  Here's every last one of them, sorted by color!  These pictures were taken from older sets, so some have new art not displayed here. :)

Blue:

DissolveJace's Phantasm61.jpg?1505127802

Riverwheel Aerialists

White:

Angel of MercyEmerge UnscathedSeeker of the Way

Survival CacheSustainer of the Realm

Green:

Crowned CeratokDuskdale WurmIvy Elemental

Jaddi OffshootLead the StampedePrey's Vengeance

Red:

Draconic RoarDragonlord's ServantEarth Elemental

Furnace WhelpMark of Mutiny

Black:

Foul-Tongue InvocationThrill-Kill AssassinVirulent Swipe

Wight of Precinct Six

Artifact:

Darksteel AxeGuardian IdolScion of Ugin

Star Compass

6 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

I love downshifts, but is there anything in these that would make it into the top tier pauper decks? 

Maybe Wight of Precinct Six and/or Jace's Phantasm? Don't think there's enough solid Dragon or Angel cards in pauper to make those competitive yet.  Seems like they are targeting certain tribes.

6 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

I love downshifts, but is there anything in these that would make it into the top tier pauper decks? 

I actually want to do a video on this at some point (in, I dunno, a month or 2 maybe. :P) but I don't know if top tier decks will be affected.  The thing with Masters-set downshifts is they usually spawn a fringe deck or two, just because of the powerful things that get downshifted. After the last Modern Masters there was a black/green sacrifice deck built around Mortician Beetle, for example.

Anyway, I can see Dissolve as a 1-of in control decks. 3-mana counters aren't great but top-decking a single copy late game is good with the scry effect.

Wight of Precinct Six could definitely result in a janky homebrew type of deck, or could be an alternate win condition for a mill deck.

The rebound spells could be tested in those "spells matters/all-in aggro" style of decks. Y'know, like Infect or Izzet Blitz.

I, personally, would probably playtest Thrill-Kill Assassin in Shadow Black (a mono-black aggro deck I play.) 2 copies in that deck would be like having a pseudo 9th/10th Dauthi Horror/Slayer, in that it's 2-mana, 2-power and difficult to block. Not as good as having shadow but I'd toss 1 or 2 copies in just to see how it plays. *Shrug*

Lead the Stampede is played in Modern sometimes, in tribal elves, so that's definitely worthy of note.

Lasraik likes this

1 hour ago, Lasraik said:

Maybe Wight of Precinct Six and/or Jace's Phantasm? Don't think there's enough solid Dragon or Angel cards in pauper to make those competitive yet.  Seems like they are targeting certain tribes.

https://magiccards.info/query?q=t%3A"dragon"+r%3Acommon&v=card&s=cname

Discounting changelings... a whopping 3 dragons at common :P 

Lasraik likes this