Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Impressions after my first game of Commander

11 posts in this topic

I've been playing Magic for a long time, 95% of it casually and until last Saturday had never played a game of Commander.  We have another husband and wife couple in our playgroup and their birthdays are close together so we always celebrate them on the same day.  We took the opportunity to buy Commander pre cons for everyone and finally try Commander.  I think most of the people in my play group have been hesitant to get into a new format after all these years but they were curious.

So my wife and I bought two decks for us the C17 Dragon deck for me and the C16 Stalwart Unity for my wife, and we bought our other three friends a C17 Cats deck, the C17 Vampires and a C15 Swell the Host.  It took us a while to get all the decks because they were sold out pretty much everywhere but luckily found some as they were being stocked at a retail store.

After going through the rules and sleeving the decks we gave it a go.  

20170916_125035.jpg

I've only played one game, but to me it seems like the Monopoly version of Magic.  Long, drawn out games that someone can go from 2 life back to 30 in a turn or two, or someone plays a sweeper and clears the battlefield with everyone around 30-40 life and you have to start over again basically.  

Now I realize we were playing precons and there are decks out there that go off in a few turns, but the game lasted a long time.  I guess this can be good and bad.  Sometimes it can be fun to have a long drawn out game, but it got to the point where I was trying to find a way to finish everyone off as fast as possible or help someone else help me kill the other 4 people.  

Overall it was fun, I can see why people enjoy the format.  I'll play again but it won't be something I play exclusively.  Hope to play some games with more experienced Commander players locally ( @Magonista66 ) to see if maybe I'm doing something wrong or get some tips on how best to play the format.  

I did like that it's a format that is loose with the rules and lets the players establish how they want to play, making it open to customizations.  

2 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

Yup, the long drawn-out aspect, plus the focus on haymakers and rares/mythics makes Commander a format I'm not keen on (though will play it at times).

That's what happens when you double the starting life total and give the weird Commander bonus (ie free card). 

I don't see myself brewing many Commander decks, probably be trying to change existing precons to tweak them a little.  

Commander is my primary jam but I'm more interested in the brewing than the playing because I like the mental challenge of making themed decks or making weird decks that do unexpected things (like my Chaotic Coin Flip deck).

If you view it as a strictly casual format to be played whenever it's much easier to digest.

Lasraik likes this

It really depends how you play EDH, what your group's play style is, and what deck you build. EDH is also a format that is heavy on politics. Most games with pre-con decks will be long and drawn out as not many can pull off wins out of nowhere and it takes time to set up; but on the polar opposite, if you build a legit "competitive" EDH deck you can easily pull off wins turn 4-6.

EDH, in my opinion, is one of the most diverse formats. Yes games will last longer than modern or standard of course, but overall it is much more fun for a group of friends in my opinion. Experiment with different commanders, you will have a blast.

Lasraik and Abaddon like this

On 9/24/2017 at 11:55 AM, Abaddon said:

Make any upgrades yet to the Dragon deck?  I heard the Mana base needs tweaking

I haven't yet, but on the initial run it did fairly well.  If I had been not playing vs. pre cons it might have been frustrating.  

On 9/24/2017 at 2:24 PM, ComputerizedMTG said:

It really depends how you play EDH, what your group's play style is, and what deck you build. EDH is also a format that is heavy on politics. Most games with pre-con decks will be long and drawn out as not many can pull off wins out of nowhere and it takes time to set up; but on the polar opposite, if you build a legit "competitive" EDH deck you can easily pull off wins turn 4-6.

EDH, in my opinion, is one of the most diverse formats. Yes games will last longer than modern or standard of course, but overall it is much more fun for a group of friends in my opinion. Experiment with different commanders, you will have a blast.

I still think it's crazy that a 100 card singleton deck can pull off wins in a few turns

In my opinion, the classic free-for-all 4 player game of commander is kind of boring and is drawn out.

Commander gets a bit more interesting when you add in goals of some sort. Other commander variants such as Cops and Robbers (or King and Bandits?), Star Format, and Emperor, give people objectives that they can work together on, and sometimes make the games end quicker.

Also I like just 1v1 commander with the free-for-all rules (40 life, regular banlist). Games can go by pretty quick, with getting a best-of-three done in around an hour/hour and a half.

Lasraik likes this