Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

CPU and motherboard recommendations

63 posts in this topic

Finally upgrading to a new PC after using a glorified potato for a few years.  So far I've picked up a video card, case and power supply.

Looking for suggestions on a CPU and motherboard next.  Haven't really been keeping up with what's new and what good deals are to be had so hoping some of you have suggestions.  Looking some something solid 

19 minutes ago, Wolphard said:

Giving advice that atleast holds some merit depends highly on the videocard you bought.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC

7 minutes ago, Jag said:

Budget?

I was guessing around $300 for the cpu/mobo but I'm open to dropping more if it's worth the cash

Initially I picked up the video card as an upgrade for my current PC.  After giving it more thought I started making a list of hardware I would have to get to even use it and decided if I'm going down that route I might as well just start fresh.

Will look into that hardware, thanks!

With mobo's i tend to go for good names. With CPU, i would just buy the best Intel you can get.

I would be scanning Amazon warehouse deals for the CPU.

So mobo would be Asus or Gigabyte, for stability and performance. Something like ASUS ROG STRIX B250G GAMING for $99.

CPU - i5 7400 kabylake for $190

Send me the $11 saved.

Edited by Pasanda
Lasraik likes this

The fellas over on [H]ard forums tend to think AMD has their shiz together and are outperforming both Intel and Nvidia for less cost.  Worth a look.

Edited by Elovia
Lasraik likes this

1 minute ago, Elovia said:

The fellas over on [H]ard forums tend to think AMD has their shiz together and are outperforming both Intel and Nvidia for less cost.  Worth a look.

They always do... (think that).

Edited by Pasanda
Lasraik likes this

34 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

They always do... (think that).

/meh ... not so much.  Each side has their fanbois, with Intel's pool significantly larger than AMD's, but I'm seeing a shift in general hardware types of conversations toward favoring AMD, and critical of Intel for not keeping up, or of Intel's latest offerings that seem to miss the target.  Personally, I've never been done wrong by Intel, whereas I've had poor experience with AMD products.  With recent change of designers and management at AMD, it is quite possible they're shooting in the right direction whereas Intel might have gotten complacent with their market lead.

Lasraik likes this

17 hours ago, Jag said:

I have never had a solid experience with AMD.  Feels like Kia or Hyndai to me.

Same here. Tried again in my HTPC about 4 years ago and, although i am still using it, it is prone to freezes and failed boots. Same as it ever was.

18 hours ago, Elovia said:

/meh ... not so much.  Each side has their fanbois, with Intel's pool significantly larger than AMD's, but I'm seeing a shift in general hardware types of conversations toward favoring AMD, and critical of Intel for not keeping up, or of Intel's latest offerings that seem to miss the target.  Personally, I've never been done wrong by Intel, whereas I've had poor experience with AMD products.  With recent change of designers and management at AMD, it is quite possible they're shooting in the right direction whereas Intel might have gotten complacent with their market lead.

That could be completely true, and i really hope it is (I tend to favour the underdog in most things). I just don't want to be the person sinking my bucks in as the tester.

I have used and used to be quite the supporter of AMD.  Back with the Phenom II processors they were a good alternative, running hot but overclockable well, a good alternative to Intel.  After they cut their support for the graphics card I was running with no warning whatsoever though I lost trust in them and their APUs did not seem to be what I wanted.  It is good news that they are providing a challenge again, Intel needs it to keep them on their toes as they have shown repeatedly that they are happy to take advantage when not challenged, not sure I would try them myself again especially in regards to graphics cards and their support but they do tend to be good as cheap alternatives.

Actually been looking over this since my gf needs a computer to run things like Rise of the Tomb Raider but isn't fussed with flash.  Figuring out the price for future reference, using AMD ryzen and RX graphics card (which I have no idea on, lost track of what is budget or cutting edge, just went for cheapest one) I worked out a build that comes to just over £500, not counting the cost of Windows 10 which is going for about £85.  An alternative to this that would make the build 'cheaper' would be to treat myself to a new graphics card so that I could use the 970 for the build, which means I wouldn't have to buy a new graphics for the build reducing the cost to about £420 (not counting the cost of the new graphics card for my one, but I was thinking of getting a new one anyway and I know what the different grades of nvidia graphics cards are).

Lasraik likes this

1 hour ago, Jazz said:

Actually been looking over this since my gf needs a computer to run things like Rise of the Tomb Raider but isn't fussed with flash.  Figuring out the price for future reference, using AMD ryzen and RX graphics card (which I have no idea on, lost track of what is budget or cutting edge, just went for cheapest one) I worked out a build that comes to just over £500, not counting the cost of Windows 10 which is going for about £85.  An alternative to this that would make the build 'cheaper' would be to treat myself to a new graphics card so that I could use the 970 for the build, which means I wouldn't have to buy a new graphics for the build reducing the cost to about £420 (not counting the cost of the new graphics card for my one, but I was thinking of getting a new one anyway and I know what the different grades of nvidia graphics cards are).

A decent excuse to upgrade from a 970 is a precious thing that you need to hold onto with all your heart.

I heard a 1070ti is imminent. But i guess it's going to be £400-£500. Just below the 1080. I still reckon, for me, the next upgrade will be a 1070, unless my wife is feeling really generous for Xmas.

So what kind of things could someone do with a 2k machine that they could not do with a 1k machine these days?  Is there much value in the extra money? Or another way to put it would be is the software keeping up with the hardware?

Edited by Jag

22 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

A decent excuse to upgrade from a 970 is a precious thing that you need to hold onto with all your heart.

I heard a 1070ti is imminent. But i guess it's going to be £400-£500. Just below the 1080. I still reckon, for me, the next upgrade will be a 1070, unless my wife is feeling really generous for Xmas.

Damn right!  "Darling, we managed to get you a PC because I bought myself newer graphics card" is something I need to do!

8 minutes ago, Jag said:

So what kind of things could someone do with a 2k machine that they could not do with a 1k machine these days?  Is there much value in the extra money? Or another way to put it would be is the software keeping up with the hardware?

Honestly?  I don't think the software has kept up really.  Thanks to most things being built with consoles in mind, which are already out of date when they release, most games don't push PCs much if at all these days.  I think they also realised that having their game only work on the absolute latest machines only limits their potential customer base.  That's my opinion anyway, there probably are some games with uber settings now.

Lasraik likes this

I couldn't run Rise of the Tomb Raider on full with a GTX 970 and that's a 2 year old game.

Also, having things like the Oculus Rift makes a big difference. The rift device is itself 2 * 1080x1200 screens, then you often need to drive your main monitor too, as most games output to that simultaneously. That's a shitload of pixels.

I may be in the market for a new machine within the next year or so.  Most of the parts in my current one were purchased back in 2011 (six years ago December).  My current i7-3930K @ 3.2GHz (4 cores) seems to do fine for most of what I need.  I've added a couple of upgrades and components since then, most notably a 980ti video card and extra 1TB SSD, and I don't have much trouble playing most games.  I'm not a graphics whore, so I don't need to play on Ultra-Mega-Super-Awesome graphic settings.  Most of the time I'm able to achieve High or a mix of selective High and Very High settings.  Then again, I play on a 30" monitor at 2560x1600, so I really don't need much AA (which is a resource hog).

My bigger issue data bottleneck is internet bandwidth (4MB DSL fastest available), and getting a new machine will not help that at all.

Edited by Elovia

13 minutes ago, Elovia said:

I may be in the market for a new machine within the next year or so.  Most of the parts in my current one were purchased back in 2011 (six years ago December).  My current i7-3930K @ 3.2GHz (4 cores) seems to do fine for most of what I need.  I've added a couple of upgrades and components since then, most notably a 980ti video card and extra 1TB SSD, and I don't have much trouble playing most games.  I'm not a graphics whore, so I don't need to play on Ultra-Mega-Super-Awesome graphic settings.  Most of the time I'm able to achieve High or a mix of selective High and Very High settings.  Then again, I play on a 30" monitor at 2560x1600, so I really don't need much AA (which is a resource hog).

My bigger issue data bottleneck is internet bandwidth (4MB DSL fastest available), and getting a new machine will not help that at all.

Given up on your triple-head rig?

36 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

Given up on your triple-head rig?

No.  Still use it.  Everyday.  I like how I can have a full screen game up on the main, and then have reference or other material available on a side (e.g., email, game maps, web browsers, etc.).  I looked into getting one of Samsung's new curved 4K TVs for use as a PC monitor (40-48"), but decided I would miss the side monitors too much.  Not sure which direction I'll eventually go.  I have limited space (my setup just fits the desk with a few inches to spare), and that said, my monitors are getting long in the tooth.  They're of 2007 vintage.

Didn't you get one of those curved widescreen monitors?  How's that working for you?

Edited by Elovia

I used to run the multiple monitors, but I like the 42" HDTV I use now even though the refresh is crap.  When I finally pull the trigger I will upgrade to a curved HDTV.  I thought curvature was kind of a gimmick at first, but it is not.  My biggest issue is that I have a real problem getting rid of something that works, just because something nicer comes along.  My computer is old, but it works for everything I need it to, the TV's and monitors are the same.

10 minutes ago, Jag said:

I used to run the multiple monitors, but I like the 42" HDTV I use now even though the refresh is crap.  When I finally pull the trigger I will upgrade to a curved HDTV.  I thought curvature was kind of a gimmick at first, but it is not.  My biggest issue is that I have a real problem getting rid of something that works, just because something nicer comes along.  My computer is old, but it works for everything I need it to, the TV's and monitors are the same.

I have the same issue, but apparently my wife doesn't; she's willing to get rid of my stuff anytime. :)

6 minutes ago, Jag said:

This one looks nice.

841e75f7e18578635af080063b34c431a412516c

True story ... we've talked about getting one.  :)

... but it probably wouldn't fit in my office, and having it in the living room is apparently out of the question.

Edited by Elovia
Jag likes this